Star Trek: Original vs Next Gen

Lohan2008

Original vs Next Gen  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Original vs Next Gen

• Original: Kirk, Bones, Spock
    • Next Gen: Picard, Riker, Data
    • Equally awesome/ liked both

voyager from the getgo was bad. it never got good. even when practically every episode was a borg episode, it sucked (and it took the borg down to the same suck level in the process). enterprise at least tried to dig itself out of the gutter, had a few good episodes toward the end. but the damage to trek's rep was impossible to recover at that point, the new movies are ok, but its just not the same. this is why im now a whovian. daleks > borg.

Deep Space Nine wound up being my favorite. When I wound up rewatching Voyager two years ago on Netflix, it was significantly better than I remembered. Among other things, "Bride of Chaotica" is the best holodeck episode in the entire franchise. "Living Witness" is one heck of an episode with a less-than-stellar conclusion. There are some bad ones, but there are always bad episodes. When I rewatched TNG, I was stunned that it was renewed after the first season.

While, overall, Voyager is the weakest of the TNG-era Trek series (And I can rant for hours about how crazy Voyager did get), for the time, it was a pretty good sci-fi show. Even Enterprise was better than I initially recalled.

Alas, I'm not old enough to remember first-run TOS, and as a result, I didn't have sufficient nostalgia for it to really sustain a full watch-through. Perhaps I'll go back and take another swing at it.

All of the Trek series are uneven, and all have many abominable episodes. But the quality of the acting was best on TOS, and its best episodes are better than the best episodes of any other series. Thank goodness they stopped with Voyager, though, eh? Before they really embarrassed themselves with something wretched.

Also, why bring up VOY if we're not going to discuss it? =P

To stop myself from starting a RANT about how BAD "Captain" Janeway is for turning Borg into a pet hu-man.

GAHHHH ! Janeway is not even EVIL !!!

Edited by Lohan2008

It's easiest to judge Star Trek series by their respective Captain, so I order them thusly:

1.) TNG because Picard. Absolutely nothing more needs to be said, he's such boss. I suppose his weakness is his inexplicable adherence to the Prime Directive (sometimes he refuses to budge, and others he bends over backward to ignore it).

2.) DS9 because of Sisko's confidence. He started pretty meh, but grew on me. Other than that, I put DS9 second because of the other characters.

3.) Enterprise because Archer was okay with going rogue. Reminiscent of Kirk, I suppose.

4.) Voyager because Janeway is still better than Kirk, but not by much.

5.) TOS because literally half of Kirk crew dies at some point. Worst. Captain. Ever.

As i've never been a star trek fan (dont get me wrong I will watch it but im just your average viewer)

As an average viewer standpoint i got to say I enjoyed Voyager the most. I remember it was one of the few tv shows the whole family would watch once a week. I dont really like ds9 or next gen as i found them a little boring but voyager is very much aimed at the broadest audience possible rather than apealing to sci fi fans.

This is obviously personal opinion and will most likely get shot down.

What i would like to ask is how people compare the new movies to the old ones (the next gen movies and the originals) I will admit I quite like the originals for some silly reason but the new ones have plenty of lens flare and special effects so simple people like me get to enjoy it :D

I would call myself a fullblood trekkie. And while I'd clearly vote tng here because Picard is a captain that really imbodies the whole star trek philosophy, I don't understand the bashing. Every series had its bad episodes . (Whip wielding, fur clad ferengi anyone?)

And every series is bad at the beginning. TNG gets better once riker has a beard, DS9 once sisko shaves his head and VOY once Kes is gone. Don't get me wrong, I love everyone of them. But, like with a real lover, you also have to realize and accept their shortcommings ;)

And I thought religious and political discussions were not allowed on these forums! :P:D:wink:

I grew up with TNG and therefore it will always be what every other Star Trek incarnation will be measured to.

But I do not dislike TOS - and even VOY has its moments. *duck*

because Picard is a captain that really imbodies the whole star trek philosophy

And his pupil Data learned quite a lot.

Edited by KerbMav

Next gen all the way. Number 1. Engage. Q. Jordi's visor. Data. Klingons on the bridge. The Borg. The Holodeck...

I could go on and on about the things done in TNG. The original did have the world's first televisual interracial kiss I believe. When Kirk and O-what's-her-face got it on. Kind of awesome.

But yeah, TNG all the way. Both great.

Babylon 5 was better than all of them.

^ this. at least up until the 5th season where they ruined everything by starting more story arcs than it was possible to finish before the show got canned.

Well, I bet that ENT would have become an awesome series to if they hadn't canceled it.

The second and third season had some awesome episodes - I really liked the Babel One - United - Aenar triplet.

Although best episode ever is obviously In the Pale Moonlight (DS9) ;)

Awesome VOY episodes include Living Witness, Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy (John le Carre anyone?) or Course: Oblivion (a real brainf*ck).

So, you see - every series had awesome episodes ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.