Star Trek: Original vs Next Gen

Lohan2008

Original vs Next Gen  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Original vs Next Gen

• Original: Kirk, Bones, Spock
    • Next Gen: Picard, Riker, Data
    • Equally awesome/ liked both

The animated series was *extremely* hit and miss, even more so than the live-actions. A few episodes were written by respectable science fiction authors and were quite good. If I recall correctly, a couple of them started out as scripts written for TOS, and were adapted for the animated after TOS was cancelled. But most eps were dready Saturday morning fare.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, well, since this has been revived, I'll bring my opinion.

I actually liked Voyager, and I thought the premise and everything was cool (Fight me :) ).

Enterprise (The prequel thing) was really cool imo, and I don't know why some people didn't like it.

TNG was really good, and I don't mind it took itself seriously.

I, of course, liked all the reboots, in fact, that's what got me into it in the first place.

I've never really seen TOS or animated series. Or DS9. Or most of the older movies aside from first contact.

Edited by Spaceception

First two seasons of TNG. Before they got too formulaic (meeting someone's long lost relative every other episode), before Roddenberry died, when they were still figuring out what the show was going to be, the theme of contact with strange new cultures was still strong, Riker was clean-shaven, the uniforms were the original collarless spandex, and male extras wore skirts.

48 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

First two seasons of TNG.

That's exactly what kept me from getting into TNG for so long.  I found quite a few of those early episodes not to my liking.  Years later, when I started to catch it once in a while, I found I liked it more.

(Seriously, the second episode of the series was a rehash of an Original Series episode.)

Personal faves in order:

Deep Space Nine: The best episodes were with the Ferengi. Odo was a riot. They really rocked DS9! Lots of variety, good stories. 
The Next Generation / Enterprise: Yeah, the first seasons was....yeah. After that the stories were alot better. Enterprise was actually a great series that just didn't get the viewers. Too much Star Trek Burnout I guess.
Voyager / Star Trek Original series: These were the weakest of the franchise, altho' they weren't bad. Janeway wasn't a bad captain, Kirk was a freaking cowboy. All-in-all, they are okay.

On 2013-12-03 at 2:38 PM, Vanamonde said:

The animated series was *extremely* hit and miss, even more so than the live-actions. 

The animated series was a big pile of poop. 
I'm ashamed to even call it animated. It was drawn like those cheeseball cartoons like Hercules, Spider-man, Rocket Robin-Hood, and all the rest of the dirty 70's saturday cartoons. Only the mouths moved, the characters moved in "Action" scenes like they had a 2x4 stuck somewhere on their bodies, and the "Aliens" were only slightly original.

Call it what it really was:

1f4a9.png

Edited by GDJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.