Ethics of Space Travel

NASI Director

-Every live kerbal that can be returned will be returned

-For long duration mission (7 days >) the kerbal capacity must be at least twice the number of kerbals on the mission

-Interplanetary missions must have at least 3 crewmen

-Any craft carrying kerbals must have parachutes

My manned rockets are extremely redundant for the crew. There are four different ways for the crew to escape (burn the SM, fire the escape tower, eject, and bail out) from any given rocket. On long duration missions, they have twice the space needs, and twice the space available. I also give them at least 25% more supplies (I use TAC life support) and at least 15% extra dv.

As Jeb Kerman once said to me.....

"Perhaps today IS a good day to die...." (OK, I may have imagined this... but so what.... he WOULD have said it, had Worf not beaten him to it!)

That convinced me to push the button that sent him and his ship crashing into the Mun!

Screw them, who's going to complain... YOU? Certainly not their families as they don't have any... friends? NONE have quit the KSP Corps yet because I killed one of them.... so screw it, their lives are cheap.

:)

Edited by kiwi1960

I usually include an escape pod or two for all my space stations, and abort procedures for manned rockets. I'm still pretty new at sending manned missions to other planets, so usually I just have one Kerbal in a command pod to keep the weight down.

I've only had one casualty so far: Gilbo Kerman, the victim of my attempt to reuse a Gilly-capable lander for Ike. May he rest in pieces.

I usually include an escape pod or two for all my space stations, and abort procedures for manned rockets. I'm still pretty new at sending manned missions to other planets, so usually I just have one Kerbal in a command pod to keep the weight down.

I've only had one casualty so far: Gilbo Kerman, the victim of my attempt to reuse a Gilly-capable lander for Ike. May he rest in pieces.

by gilly capable lander, do you mean his jetpack? =p

Why would a Gilly lander work for Ike? :P

For some reason I thought they had similarly weak gravity. I guess I should have tried it with a probe first.

by gilly capable lander, do you mean his jetpack? =p

It was a command pod with an RCS tank and some thrusters. At Ike I actually managed to slow it enough that the command pod survived the impact, but poor Gilbo had no way to get home. I left the pod there as a memorial.

What ethics.... Kerbals are cheap, ethics requires too much brain power, and Kerbals lack that.

Some humans lack brain power yet we do not send them on one way trips to the outer edge of the solar system where they will inevitably run out of fuel and will have to wait several years for a rescue mission (if there even is one), now do we?

All manned missions outside of lower Kerbal orbit must have more than one man.

All interplanetary missions have a Hitchhiker storage container either as a base on the planet or as part of the ship to make the journey and optimal aligment waiting more comfortable for my Kerbals.

In the beggining of the career mode, i stranded a few kerbals in permanent manned science rovers in far away worlds, to science-spam the ***** out of them. Now that i have the full tree, and im dedicating to 'higher' endeavors, i dont strand kerbals anymore. After testing my new interplanetary capabilities with several return trips, im now planning to recover those stranded poor souls who sacrificed their pleasant lifes in Kerbin in the early days of the program for the advancement of SCIENCE!

I still feel bad for cramming Jebediah in a Mk1 Command Pod on the Mun for a full Munar cycle. So I crammed him in a Hitchhikers on Minmus with 3 other Kerbals. :P

But yeah, I began to feel bad for sending Kerbals on missions alone, so I began to avoid using one-Kerbal ships, with the obvious exception of rovers.

Some humans lack brain power yet we do not send them on one way trips to the outer edge of the solar system where they will inevitably run out of fuel and will have to wait several years for a rescue mission (if there even is one), now do we?

Would be good for the avarage IQ :D

No deaths. Death is zero-tolerance, and if any die, by way of quicksave failure, I will be fired.

No lonely-long-term trips. Two or more kerbals per 1+ week trip.

I function like a realistic space program, but with 10x more safety procedures.

The glaring difference being that humans are real and self aware, while kerbals are simply a thing programmed in to a game with no real self awareness, feelings, etc. :v

I'm too scared to send Kerbals interplanetary because what if I run out of fuel? My orbital rendezvous skills suck.

Hate to say it, but this is the best way to get better at orbital rendezvous.

Though I must admit there isn't a really good tutorial on rendezvous/docking, there's a couple of okay ones but nothing really comprehensive.

I'm of the opinion that if pioneers were never allowed to take risks, we'd never get anywhere. We wouldn't have cars, planes, trains, or anything else that would have been remotely dangerous when they were first developed. We'd likely not even have ever risen above hunter gatherer without taking risks. Hmmmm, even hunting is risky. We'd likely be extinct if we took no risks.

So I let pioneers be pioneers. Now that is not to say I don't try to kill them and I do try to rescue them if they get stranded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.