[1.12.x] KSP Alternate Resource Panel v2.11.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

A couple of suggestions about icons:

1. Cryogenic fuels would be nice in orange.

2. Mono propellant in yellow.

3. Xenon/Argon in purple.

I'd say that Liquid Oxygen should be light blue, and liquid hydrogen should be a lighter blue. lqdMethane from KSPI should be pale green or pale pinkish. Kethane should be a healthy green. Xenon should be purple, argon should be a "primary color blue". Kerosene should be a dark brown.

I don't know if this was suggested or how hard it would to code it, having a read out of the time amount that is left of resource. Especially for battery and O2/CO2. Could be something as simple as hover the mouse over the resource in GUI and it shows it and disappears when not hovered, I don't know. Lol

Anyway knowing the amount of time left would be very useful.

Yes Sir! I've hated the stock one from the beginning. Yours is perfect and enought for me. Two is annoying. So is it any possibility to delete?

This! If I get a way of completely getting rid of the old one, and just have this one, AND modded resources automatically get listed on it, then I'll be jumping on this mod as well as a "must have".

Used this UI mod for several flights lastnight after downloading it and I agree, it's going on my must-have list. You did some great work here! I love being able to stage and watch fuel levels in map view. Helps a lot for some of my more high part# ships :)

Wowsers, that got a few posts overnight (well night for me anyway). I'll try and answer/comment some things here:

• Thanks for the color/icon suggestions, I will use what I can (although Xenon is already purple by lucky coincidence). I have already done a series of Gas Bottles I had intended for O2, CO2, etc and some Kethane ones as well, but I did not realise just how many custome resources there are :)
  • I am going to change the texture loader so that new icons can be added without code changes
  • @Chebalu - I looked at the object browser last night and there may be a way to do this, but I would prefer not to change the stock game myself. If you toggle the alt pane on it will always draw on top of the stock one though, so maybe thats enough.
  • @MK3424/@therealcrow999 - I do have plans to progress this with some other features, and will add your ideas to the list
  • @somnambulist - The change in loading method should make this much easier, and yes I'll publish a file or two so people can template once its in place

Just so you have an idea of some other bits hers some of the things on the future worklist - Lots more icons, Instant figures, monitoring levels, an autostage option integration to KAC maybe

Also wanted to really say thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm. We have a great community.

Nicely done! Congratulations on a good release.

Staging seems auxiliary to resources, so I'm not sure why it's in the resources view. It looks like a good feature to have, but it might belong in a separate mod.

If you're not sure how to support extra resource icons, it never hurts to ask. Modders who add a lot of custom resources probably have some valuable input on the matter.

Have you considered some kind of "alert" feature? It might be useful if the window expanded itself when running low on a resource, for example.

Oh, i almost forgot: Will it also be compatible with other mods? like Kethane,....

(for the long run that is)

So it displays any registered resource currently, its just the icons that dont exist today. I am working through that in the next day or two

Nicely done! Congratulations on a good release.

Staging seems auxiliary to resources, so I'm not sure why it's in the resources view. It looks like a good feature to have, but it might belong in a separate mod.

If you're not sure how to support extra resource icons, it never hurts to ask. Modders who add a lot of custom resources probably have some valuable input on the matter.

Have you considered some kind of "alert" feature? It might be useful if the window expanded itself when running low on a resource, for example.

Thanks Majiir, means a lot coming from yourself

The staging I added as I use the resources panel to know when to stage in map view, so (in my mind at least :) ) it made sense to have the capacity there, although I dont like the current look of the button, and I do want to tweak that. That said, for people who dont turn that function on they wont see the staging stuff at all.

For the extra icons, TBH I thought I'd have a few days to tweak that and speak to people, but this thread exploded a lot faster than I thought. My current plan is to adjust it up so that it uses the name of the resource (as defined by the modder) and looks for an icon of the same name in the KSP ARP plugindata folder. I did also create a bunch of these already, but wanted to ask Mod owners before I arbitrarily published an icon for their resource.

For example here are the two I made for the Kethane resources (using the resource color defined in your cfg files), and one for an oxygen tank.

TrimmedList.png

Would be interested in any thoughts you may have on this, and the icons here?

Yes an alarm/warning feature is definitely something I want to add

Those icons look great.

I think it's worth looking into loading icons without requiring them to be in the ARP folder. Suppose I wanted to distribute icons with Kethane: I'd have to include the ARP folder in my download, and this could confuse users who don't have it installed. You could use config nodes to allow modders to configure ARP for their resources, including a path to an icon. For now, it obviously works fine if you just define as many mod resources as you can think of from your end, but ultimately that configuration power should probably rest with the mod authors.

Thanks Majiir, means a lot coming from yourself

The staging I added as I use the resources panel to know when to stage in map view, so (in my mind at least :) ) it made sense to have the capacity there, although I dont like the current look of the button, and I do want to tweak that. That said, for people who dont turn that function on they wont see the staging stuff at all.

For the extra icons, TBH I thought I'd have a few days to tweak that and speak to people, but this thread exploded a lot faster than I thought. My current plan is to adjust it up so that it uses the name of the resource (as defined by the modder) and looks for an icon of the same name in the KSP ARP plugindata folder. I did also create a bunch of these already, but wanted to ask Mod owners before I arbitrarily published an icon for their resource.

For example here are the two I made for the Kethane resources (using the resource color defined in your cfg files), and one for an oxygen tank.

TrimmedList.png

Would be interested in any thoughts you may have on this, and the icons here?

Yes an alarm/warning feature is definitely something I want to add

These are some fine looking icons you got there!

I really like this! I've used it for a few launches and I already like it more than the vanilla menu. A couple thoughts I have so far:

Would it be possible to make the resources box moveable? I've always been annoyed with how MechJeb's menu overlaps the resources menu, and it would be nice to be able to move it.

Also, have you thought about coloring the resource bars themselves? It would be very handy to be able to glance at the bars and know exactly which one is for which resource if you remember which color means what.

Those icons look great.

I think it's worth looking into loading icons without requiring them to be in the ARP folder. Suppose I wanted to distribute icons with Kethane: I'd have to include the ARP folder in my download, and this could confuse users who don't have it installed. You could use config nodes to allow modders to configure ARP for their resources, including a path to an icon. For now, it obviously works fine if you just define as many mod resources as you can think of from your end, but ultimately that configuration power should probably rest with the mod authors.

Thanks for the tip Majiir, I agree about asking people to add other mod folders in their downloads and I'll look into how to use config nodes when I get a chance. I'll knock in a good smattering of icons shortly and then go down that road.

I really like this! I've used it for a few launches and I already like it more than the vanilla menu. A couple thoughts I have so far:

Would it be possible to make the resources box moveable? I've always been annoyed with how MechJeb's menu overlaps the resources menu, and it would be nice to be able to move it.

Also, have you thought about coloring the resource bars themselves? It would be very handy to be able to glance at the bars and know exactly which one is for which resource if you remember which color means what.

Yes it would be possible to make it movable, but I wanted to replicate the current panels fixed size and location, I'll put that on the list.

I did start with using different colors for each bar, but when I looked at how many resources there are I simply ran out of colors that looked good. Thus the coloring on the icons and the standardised color bars. If I (or someone can) think of a good way to do that, and doesn't end up looking like the rainbow flight plan I'll see whats good.

Congratulations on your new launch, this plugin fixes some fairly long standing frustrations with the stock resource panel. I do have a possible bug report to file. I am using quite a few of the realism mods so I cannot be %100 sure that this plugin is the cause, but I have not had this issue in quite some time and the only recent addition to this instances plugins I have made is this mod so here goes.

Description:

Science prob gets destroyed via Deadly Re-entry mod at around 33km up. Game fails to recognize destroyed status. I hit escape and go back to Space Port. Unable to click on anything besides exit. Main menu is then unclickable.

From output_log.txt at time of destruction:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

probeCoreCube Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnVesselCreate(00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, )

[probeCoreCube]: Deactivated

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[arpStage] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[arpStage] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAlternateResourcePanel.KSPAlternateResourcePanel.BehaviourUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

1 explosions created.

TAC Fuel Balancer [FFE32800][2454.318]: Rebuilding resource lists.

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[arpStage] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[arpStage] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAlternateResourcePanel.KSPAlternateResourcePanel.BehaviourUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Error repeats until I exit to Space Center and then this:

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:INTERNAL_get_position (UnityEngine.Vector3&)

at UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.FindNearestTarget () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.RemoveTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapView.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy

Everything works fine after restarting KSP.

EDIT: Removed plugin and attempted with the exact same ship and it happened again. NOT YOUR PROBLEM :) Great job.

Edited by sirklick