[1.12.x] KSP Alternate Resource Panel v2.11.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

Have you considered adding the ability for ARP alarms to kill warp?

Sorry if it's been asked and answered before...read back about 10 pages and didn't see this mentioned.

I dont mind people asking questions, its hard to keep track of everything going on in forums at times. Yes I do plan to do that, currently the plan is to do this indirectly via the Alarm Clock mod. v3 of that has API features, but its not yet ready for release, once thats done I'll see how well it hooks.

Hello TriggerAu and thank you for this great mod. Near Future Technologies now use a new resource named LiquidHydrogen instead of the old HydrogenGas, do you have any plans on adding an icon for it too?

Wasnt aware of that. I'll add it to the list to do for next release. Thanks petros_a_l

yea, it's ATM I've seen this before. search around. Try the GreenSkull ATM configs. This has been reported before and a solution is out there. I don't use ATM so can't help you more than that

Edit: Actually wait, I've seen ATM mess up the green bars but not the whole resource window. take ATM out of your GameData folder and see if that fixes it. If not, then you probably installed KSPARP wrong

I gave up bothering to organize the panel because clicking the buttons to move a separator up from the bottom through like 40 resources was... ugh :P UI design is a pain, but a solution would be to keep the scroll bar locked to the item being moved so the button remains under the mouse cursor. Maybe also allow separators to be added under any resource that is currently selected for editing.

Also, I've noticed staging bars remain for resources that don't exist in a later stage. So for example I have my transfer rocket with L/O fuel and staged above that is the decoupler for releasing my satellite that only contains MP. So the Liquid and Oxidizer bars show equal values for the blue and green bar. Any time the max values for these two bars are equal the bar should automatically drop the blue staging bar

Edit: I just realized it wouldn't work to check for equal values because you can't be sure two separate stages won't contain the same amount of fuel. It's never simple is it?

Additionally, shouldn't the blue staging bar show [next stage available fuel]/[total staged available fuel]? Right now it just shows [next stage available fuel]/[next stage total fuel] which is a bit redundant when you have a full tank and still not really useful information otherwise (you can right-click a tank to see its capacity if you need to know it).

I'm afraid this may all be tied in to my earlier request regarding the EC reserve power...

Edited by Gaiiden

I don't use ATM and I have the exact same problem as dankushner. This mod previously worked until the last update. I've removed and re-installed this mod. Twice.

Edited by Apollo13

I dont mind people asking questions, its hard to keep track of everything going on in forums at times. Yes I do plan to do that, currently the plan is to do this indirectly via the Alarm Clock mod. v3 of that has API features, but its not yet ready for release, once thats done I'll see how well it hooks.

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but v3 of KAC is going to have API hooks for other mods? That. Is. Awesome.

Just wanted to comment, BTW, that your mods are, to me, the model of how plugins should be written. They're like a master-class in usability and aesthetic design; they just work unobtrusively. They always present me with the options I want without me having to ask for them. The icon and interface design is very professional and fits in beautifully with KSP's overall aesthetic. Thanks for your continued work on these essential mods.

I don't use ATM and I have the exact same problem as dankushner. This mod previously worked until the last update. I've removed and re-installed this mod. Twice.

Can you post your KSP.log file somewhere for us to look at? It looks like the ARP skin is being replaced by the default Unity skin somehow.

I swear I dont get emails when this thread updates even though its set up, apologies for the tardiness...

Yes, i use Active Texture Management

As Mr Shifty noted if you pastebin your log (or simlar) we should see something. If a texture fails to load then it will be logged in their and you can find all the details by searching the log for "KSPAlternateResourcePanel".

I gave up bothering to organize the panel because clicking the buttons to move a separator up from the bottom through like 40 resources was... ugh :P UI design is a pain, but a solution would be to keep the scroll bar locked to the item being moved so the button remains under the mouse cursor. Maybe also allow separators to be added under any resource that is currently selected for editing.

Also, I've noticed staging bars remain for resources that don't exist in a later stage. So for example I have my transfer rocket with L/O fuel and staged above that is the decoupler for releasing my satellite that only contains MP. So the Liquid and Oxidizer bars show equal values for the blue and green bar. Any time the max values for these two bars are equal the bar should automatically drop the blue staging bar

Edit: I just realized it wouldn't work to check for equal values because you can't be sure two separate stages won't contain the same amount of fuel. It's never simple is it?

Additionally, shouldn't the blue staging bar show [next stage available fuel]/[total staged available fuel]? Right now it just shows [next stage available fuel]/[next stage total fuel] which is a bit redundant when you have a full tank and still not really useful information otherwise (you can right-click a tank to see its capacity if you need to know it).

I'm afraid this may all be tied in to my earlier request regarding the EC reserve power...

All good feedback here Gaiiden:

* I'll add the order/separation stuff in to the requests list - It bugs me too. Unity's current GUI stuff is hard work

* I'll check that resurce bars thing - is probably me forgetting to clear something on staging

* For a resource that has staging capability it should go back to a green bar only when your in the last stage from memory. If theres another stage after that I might be able to check if its the last stage containing that resource

* The blue bar should show the current stages amount remaining/the current stages capacity

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but v3 of KAC is going to have API hooks for other mods? That. Is. Awesome.

Just wanted to comment, BTW, that your mods are, to me, the model of how plugins should be written. They're like a master-class in usability and aesthetic design; they just work unobtrusively. They always present me with the options I want without me having to ask for them. The icon and interface design is very professional and fits in beautifully with KSP's overall aesthetic. Thanks for your continued work on these essential mods.

Nice words, thanks Mr Shifty. I'm glad you and the others here find them useful and always happy for feedback - good or bad :)

The issue is the folder location for the ARP mod.

In the log I can see the dll at F:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSPAlternateResourcePanel\KSPAlternateResourcePanel.dll

When you copy the contents from the zip file you need to transition everything from the GameData folder downwards, so the apth to the dll in your drive case should be

F:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TriggerTech\KSPAlternateResourcePanel\KSPAlternateResourcePanel.dll

If you move the KSPAlternateResourcePanel folder into the TriggerTech folder you should be all good - it will look something like this

JBLOGeB.png

Hey, I absolutely love the work that's been done with this mod. And the stock icons are absolutely stellar!

I have a few questions about how the UI settings that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual and on this thread.

1. How does the panel select which stage to display in the blue side? For example, I'll refer to my ship.

KSP_stage.png

My current stage is the lower one, of course. It has a capacity of 360 LF. Since it's the stage I'm currently caring about how much is left,

I would expect this to be the one in blue in the main panel. Instead green is total ship resources, and the blue is the next stage's resources?

Or does the blue show your 'head' stage? I couldn't find any settings related to changing what's on the blue side.

My other question is about how the resource hiding preferences work.

There's the eye icon on the panel that toggles hiding (globally?). I'd like to see this icon show the state as well, because I haven't been able to

get stage hiding to work, and I'm not even sure if I've actually enabled it!

The second place I see this is in the styling/visual tab of the settings window. There is a enable/disable hiding button there too, which doesn't seem to be affected

by the button on the main panel.

And last but not least there's another toggle inside the the resource configuration panel for each individual resource as 'Empty behavior'.

Does this override the global behaviour per part?

So to get empties to hide, do I need to enable it for every single resource, in the settings window, and on the quick button?

I would recommend some rethinking on how you designed that :)

* The blue bar should show the current stages amount remaining/the current stages capacity
My current stage is the lower one, of course. It has a capacity of 360 LF. Since it's the stage I'm currently caring about how much is left,

I would expect this to be the one in blue in the main panel. Instead green is total ship resources, and the blue is the next stage's resources?

Or does the blue show your 'head' stage? I couldn't find any settings related to changing what's on the blue side.

Yea this was what I was noticing too, although I realize now I forgot to mention how the green bar was showing total resources

Hmm, something doesn't sound right no - I must have misunderstood gaiiden before too. let me try and rephrase it with the programming logic, the blue bar should show the resources that will be decoupled the next time a stage is activated, the highest stage indicator of the vessel (which I'm pretty sure KSP works out as the stage furthest from the root part). Maybe the stage numbering of the vessel doesnt match the play through.

That said I can only test the designs I have built and it may not be working right in some designs. If you can pastebin a vessel/save (with as few mods as possible) I'll be happy to see what I can and try and figure out why its behaving that way.

For the hiding stuff, the options in the settings panel are global ones, and once they are enabled then you set each resource as you would like it to be handled. So if the global setting is off the resource specific ones are ignored. The eye is to temporarily toggle off all resource hiding, and the button "should" toggle in when the show all is in place. In practical terms, to hide a resource you need to ensure that the global option is on and each resource is configured, you tend to do this once and not come back to that. Then if something is hidden you can use the show all toggle to temporarily see what's been hidden.

I'll agree its not the best interface, but it does cater to all the requested play styles I've been asked for :) , and yes i could do better doc's. If people can come up with a better way I'm happy to look at it, but it has to also be programmable in Unity Script which is the biggest limiting factor.

If I can get a vessel to look at that would be ace

Hey, I absolutely love the work that's been done with this mod. And the stock icons are absolutely stellar!

I have a few questions about how the UI settings that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual and on this thread.

1. How does the panel select which stage to display in the blue side? For example, I'll refer to my ship.

http://s2.postimg.org/nxug8p0vt/KSP_stage.png

My other question is about how the resource hiding preferences work.

There's the eye icon on the panel that toggles hiding (globally?). I'd like to see this icon show the state as well, because I haven't been able to

get stage hiding to work, and I'm not even sure if I've actually enabled it!

The second place I see this is in the styling/visual tab of the settings window. There is a enable/disable hiding button there too, which doesn't seem to be affected

by the button on the main panel.

And last but not least there's another toggle inside the the resource configuration panel for each individual resource as 'Empty behavior'.

Does this override the global behaviour per part?

So to get empties to hide, do I need to enable it for every single resource, in the settings window, and on the quick button?

I would recommend some rethinking on how you designed that :)

Yea this was what I was noticing too, although I realize now I forgot to mention how the green bar was showing total resources

So I've fiddled a few times with this and can't seem to make it happen as we see in that screenshot. If either of you have a vessel that you are willing to share with me I can look deeper.

Here's a very simple example craft of my own that seems to have the same 3 stage config as ReyTiger, and you can see the blue bar showing the fuel remaining in the currently active last stage. I cant make it break like that, but happy to help if someone can get me in the ballpark of the issue

uox6scV.png

v2.3.0.0 Now Available - Download from GitHub or Download from Curse* * Once it's approved

Basically this update has a some stuff in it to make it easier to rearrange the resources in the list. Here's the change list:

• Added Drag and Drop reordering to Resource Config (Issue #29)
  • Added Insert Separator function in Resource Config (Issue #23)
  • Added Default resource Layout for Stick Resources (Issue #27)
  • Changed all Textures to be PNG to prevent blurring at lower texture qualities
  • Changed Megajoule Icon

But this video is probably easier to see it in

EDIT: Will do some more icon updates soon

Edited by TriggerAu

Seeing as the whole upper-right corner of the screen is taken by new icons in .24, I wonder if you can actually replace stock resource panel with this one, showing ARP instead of stock panel when user clicks/hovers over corresponding icon.