What A Dilemma I'm In

NASI Director

I need help.

Sleep has been a problem for me, and these long weekends from school do not help. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the free time, it's just that I stay up late playing KSP, Minecraft, TF2, Skyrim, Viscera, Tekkit, Half-Life 2, and sometimes Tropico 3.

That's the beginning of the end.

Every time I stay up on a school night (because I can't go to sleep) and I decide to go back to bed at 4:30 AM, it never ends well. You see, I normally wake up at 6 in the morn', and don't leave until 7:20 (I like my time.) School doesn't start until, at the very latest, 7:45. Several times the aforementioned action happens and I wake up late, one time at 8:30, near the end of 1st hour.

That's my major vice. Blemish. Flaw. Whatever you call it, it's nothing I am proud of.

Now for my dilemma: I don't know what to do. Do I stay up all night and possibly risk the fact that I might fall victim to sleep, only to be woken up by the prying eyes of a teacher? Do I go to sleep and risk another time I might sleep in and be late?

I have taken sleeping medication before. Nothing serious, just some over-the-counter stuff like Melatonin and Benadryl. I'm sure I have some leftover from another time somewhere but I'm not sure where.

My recommendation is: Switch to Tropico 4 ... good chance to get it cheap this month, with the current fall sale and the coming christmas sale.

As for the sidetopic:

Well, all depends on how tired you are in the morning. If you aren´t tired at all, maybe you don´t need asuch sleep as the average Joe. Sleep lenght is influenced by many factors and often relative individual ... I for my part, for example, have an average sleep duration of 4-6 hours / night and get well along with this ... other people however need their 8+ hours of sleep. Sleep medication definitely isn´t a good idea IMHO (unless it is taken really sparsely) else withdrawal effects might cause you to drift into sleep even harder.

If you are de facto tired in the morning, well, work on changing your biorhythm ... by not going to bed late in the weekend, but instead introducing a strict regime with regards to your sleeping times, where even in the weekends you go to bed between 10-12PM

Edited by Godot

My recommendation is: Switch to Tropico 4 ... good chance to get it cheap this month, with the current fall sale and the coming christmas sale.

As for the sidetopic:

Well, all depends on how tired you are in the morning. If you aren´t tired at all, maybe you don´t need asuch sleep as the average Joe. Sleep lenght is influenced by many factors and often relative individual ... I for my part, for example, have an average sleep duration of 4-6 hours / night and get well along with this ... other people however need their 8+ hours of sleep. Sleep medication definitely isn´t a good idea IMHO (unless it is taken really sparsely) else withdrawal effects might cause you to drift into sleep even harder.

If you are de facto tired in the morning, well, work on changing your biorhythm ... by not going to bed late in the weekend, but instead introducing a strict regime with regards to your sleeping times, where even in the weekends you go to bed between 10-12PM

To be honest, I'm about to tip over in my chair from sleepiness.

Sleep is an important art of a healthy lifestyle. Like food, people underestimate just how important good sleeping patterns are to a healthy and well adjusted human being.

Here is a list of things that have been attributed to a lack of sleep:

# aching muscles

# blurred vision

# clinical depression

# colorblindness

# daytime drowsiness and naps, excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS)

# decreased mental activity and concentration

# depersonalization/derealization

# weakened immune system

# dizziness

# dark circles under the eyes

# fainting

# general confusion

# hallucinations (visual and auditory)(Not the good, drug kinds.)

# hand tremors

# headache

# hyperactivity

# hypertension

# impatience

# irritability

# nausea

# nystagmus (rapid involuntary rhythmic eye movement)

# psychosis-like symptoms

# sleep paralysis (while awake)

# pallor

# slowed reaction time

# slurred and/or nonsensical speech

# sore throat

# stuffy nose

# weight loss or gain

# severe yawning

# increased desire for sexual activity

# delirium

# temper tantrums in children

# symptoms similar to:

* Attention-deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

* alcoholic intoxication

This list shows what you are doing to yourself by not sleeping enough. Lack of sleep is no joke. If you're in school then your concentration slips, you don't retain information, you'll get bored easily and lose interest not to mention being in a bad mood and snapping at people who irritate you a bit. Who needs friends though right?

Some food for thought though there, lot's of nasty things you can bring on yourself by not sleeping properly.

This is most likely a phase and you will grow out of it. ( I kinda did the same thing while in high school )

If it's 4:30 and you have to get up at 6. Don't go to sleep. If it's within two hours you're not going to get a very good rest and most likely will wake up late.

Drink abit of caffeine before you go to school, if you can't have coffee or tea, try soda.

I can't offer much advice considering i don't know your age and what other activities you have during the day.

When I need to sleep I have a simple trick, I just stop consciously thinking about stuff.

No thinking about the day or tomorrow, no thinking of people or places or things, there will be thoughts, you can't stop them, but it'll be a background, like a distant radio.

That background will gradually become the foreground thoughts, bits of music half remembered, a face from your past, those distant radio sounds will become like the sounds in the next room.

Next thing you know it'll be morning.

When I need to sleep I have a simple trick, I just stop consciously thinking about stuff.

No thinking about the day or tomorrow, no thinking of people or places or things, there will be thoughts, you can't stop them, but it'll be a background, like a distant radio.

That background will gradually become the foreground thoughts, bits of music half remembered, a face from your past, those distant radio sounds will become like the sounds in the next room.

Next thing you know it'll be morning.

That's exactly what you have to do. The hardest part for me, is when I get up and like, come on thoughts, go away I want to get to sleep FASTER!

Get some sleep. That habit has to be broken now if you don't want serious medical side effects.

My suggestion, turn off the computer approx. 1 hour before going to bed. Then read/ study/ take a shower before going to bed. If you still can't fall asleep and your mind is still active, try counting backwards from 300 by threes. If that doesn't work, learn how to count to 300 in another language and count back from 300 by threes in the language of your choosing. This should calm your mind down if not put you to sleep all together. If that still doesn't work, talk to a doctor. He/ she will likely either tell you to use melatonin (do NOT use it without talking to one, I am NOT a doctor) or write you a prescription.

I had problems sleeping for maybe 15 years until I finally started lifting weights every other day. It's been tremendously helpful. I doesn't make me literally tired, but it somehow changes my brain chemistry in a positive way that allows me to fall into a normal sleep cycle.

I'd suggest certain things, but they wouldn't be allowed here, as they're illegal in some states. Especially if you're underage.

Best way to get to sleep if you're having trouble is to listen to your own body. And I mean literally. Become aware of your breathing, slowing it down slightly, relaxing each and every muscle, and clearing your mind. Pay attention to your own heartbeat, but don't check it. Just know it's there, and imagine it slowing down.

It's kind of like meditation, or self hypnosis, but it does actually work. The anxiety just washes away, and you feel super relaxed. Next thing you know, you'll be waking up to your morning alarm.

I'd suggest certain things, but they wouldn't be allowed here, as they're illegal in some states. Especially if you're underage.

Best way to get to sleep if you're having trouble is to listen to your own body. And I mean literally. Become aware of your breathing, slowing it down slightly, relaxing each and every muscle, and clearing your mind. Pay attention to your own heartbeat, but don't check it. Just know it's there, and imagine it slowing down.

It's kind of like meditation, or self hypnosis, but it does actually work. The anxiety just washes away, and you feel super relaxed. Next thing you know, you'll be waking up to your morning alarm.

That works is your brain is healthy. If it isn't, you will not be able to sleep. Sleeping is a complex procedure and it has chemicals that initiate it. If something disrupts the process, you can meditate all you want - you won't get sleepy.

Another piece of advice that might help: Set a specific bedtime for yourself, and stick to it. Once you notice that it's getting close to that time, wrap up whatever you're doing and start getting ready to go to sleep. Don't let your brain trick you into trying to stay up later with excuses. It's like any other habit, good or bad: Once you start doing it regularly, it'll become almost second-nature.

I used to take a few naps in class from time to time, I have a handful of techniques if you'd like me to share.

Mind you, None of them will work if you sit in the front of the class.

But my advice to you, Stay up all night wait till AT LEAST 8 pm, then go to sleep, Actually anytime after 6 works, but I find 8 to work the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.