[0.23] ANGARA Pack 1.0

MrTheBull

That's actually good to know as the 5 and 7 booster configs are really tricky to fit the cross-feed fuel lines to, I just won't bother in future and run it like that instead!

IIRC one of the launch configurations of Soyuz also doesn't fire the core booster until stage 2?

EDIT: I had to seriously strut the rocket to get it to fly using the 4 outer boosters. It just ripped itself apart or snapped the upper stage off the core booster. Got it to fly eventually but used so many struts it looks a little silly :\

Edited by MDBenson

That's actually good to know as the 5 and 7 booster configs are really tricky to fit the cross-feed fuel lines to, I just won't bother in future and run it like that instead!

IIRC one of the launch configurations of Soyuz also doesn't fire the core booster until stage 2?

EDIT: I had to seriously strut the rocket to get it to fly using the 4 outer boosters. It just ripped itself apart or snapped the upper stage off the core booster. Got it to fly eventually but used so many struts it looks a little silly :\

You'll want to throttle down a bit, and possibly install Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. It's very helpful.

Already tried both those. I use KJR by default and I tried setting the throttle limiter at various settings and it still tore apart. :\

The problem is the mass of the central booster + the 2nd stage and PPTS. The difference in inertia causes the outer boosters to just rip off. I also tried igniting the engines before I released the supports, different support setups and a few other things like supporting different areas of the rocket.

I've also had an issue with the stack snapping at the bottom node of the 1st/2nd stage decoupler with and without the cross-feed setup.

Just going to put it out there that the zip file is horribly broken. Right now the `Ships` directory is a file, as is the `GameData/Space\ Factor\ Ind/ANGARA/PPTS/SOLAR` directory. Just thought it would be good to know this so we can actually extract all of the parts correctly.

I have a problem with the Angara 5 pre-setup. Whenever I try to stage the 1st stage boosters, they always destroy the rocket. I tried putting separatrons (or however you spell the damned thing) on, but that stills causes the main booster to blow up. How do I correct this?

Danke,

Nicolas

It helps to put the seperatrons in the centre of mass of the booster so it doesn't twist in or out and crush the central core booster. Mine are about in line with the centre of the centre of the decouplers, 2 per external booster and it seems to work for me. I posted a .craft file int he thread a few posts back with that setup in for people to try. I can't guaranteee the stageing and stuff is set right in the .craft file though, and I've rebuilt it since.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It's probably not, it's likely the Spaceport eating it. I added a link in my sig for something for people to try that fixed that for me.

Maybe the author would be willing to upload it to MediaFire as well in the man time?

I followed this method here, but still got a corrupt zip file. When I try to extract anything from it, there is an error stating that it is corrupt.

-Edit-

I extracted the file and placed it in the gamedate folder but for some reason I get 5 duplicates of every part?

-Edit-

The five duplicates were in hidden files in the gamedata folder from earlier attempts to extract there. The parts can be installed if they are carefully extracted outside the gamedata folder and then transferred into it. Make sure to remember that it extracts to a hidden folder at first. In summary: download works, download will extract to a hidden folder and will alert the user that it is corrupt, but files can be transferred manually from the hidden folder to the gamedata folder.

Edited by 15nelsoc

• 4 weeks later...

I find that when I use the ANGARA to launch the PK, even if I lock gimbals on the boosters to stop it wobbling, and even if I manage to stop it from pinwheeling when the boosters seperate (roughly in the initial gravity turn at 7k), I have to use almost all the fuel in the PK to get it to orbit, while if I use Bobcat's Soyuz U launcher, I have plenty of fuel to spare and it flies straight.

hmm i wish that the IVA would include more RPMs because sure the monitors are already awesome and useful for flight but i would still like more data like orbits and everything...

just saying even though this is still great for crew transport and station evacuation

• 1 month later...
I find that when I use the ANGARA to launch the PK, even if I lock gimbals on the boosters to stop it wobbling, and even if I manage to stop it from pinwheeling when the boosters seperate (roughly in the initial gravity turn at 7k), I have to use almost all the fuel in the PK to get it to orbit, while if I use Bobcat's Soyuz U launcher, I have plenty of fuel to spare and it flies straight.

It is a known problem that this thing has to be strutted A LOT. Also, it has a way too high TWR, so you might want to either edit the engine .cfg, or use the thrust limiter to avoid fighting the atmosphere too much. This thing is barely capable of orbiting the PPTS, but only if you fly a very efficient trajectory. Of course, another thing is that this mod was designed to use asparagus with the boosters, where the real one first ignites the boosters, and when they decouple, the core stage ignites. So this mod, in its curent form, is quite inaccurate. However, Bobcat's Soyuz is also overpowered - IRL, it has a much lower payload capacity. So really, the only thing to do is to edit the configs.

License is CC-BY-NC-SA, which means that anybody can reupload this mod, as long as they

1: Provide attribution (no claiming it as your own)

2: Do not earn money from it (no adfly, no selling it, no using it in commercials)

3: Reupload it with the same license.

I'll probably have time to upload my local copy tomorrow, and if not, anyone with a local copy can do that, as long as they follow the license.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This appears to break .24.0. It puts the kerbal image and more importantly the staging icons off the screen. It also makes spacebar not work correctly.

Agreed.... Love this mod so much in .23.5.... Can't wait to see it work right in .24.2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.