Maximized Docking

I'm looking for ways to get the strongest possible connection while docking. I've heard that the big ports are stronger than the small ones, but how much stronger? Should I use a big port, or go with four small on a quad adapter for maximum strength? Does the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod affect docking strength? Any other ways to prevent docking ports from causing a rapid, unplanned disassemble of my work?

Docking ports will never cause disassembly, but they may allow it. Or is this happening during launch? In that case, you should know that you don't need two docking ports during liftoff. Keep a docking port wherever you want one on the final orbital object, but the lifter doesn't need them.

Depends on what point the docking ports are breaking. If they break during launch then you can strut them up - the struts will break when decoupling but at that point you should be in spaaaaaace.

If you want stronger connections after orbital assembly, there aren't really any options. Multiple ports are a gamble at best. If you're allowing yourself to use mods, then Kerbal Attachment System lets you add struts while on EVA. Perhaps you just need to be more gentle with your craft?

=Smidge=

When your ship is under stress, docking rings failing is a relatlvely minor threat.

oCGhctH.png

(Botched aerobraking attempt.) Nothing broke off of that ship until it hit the water.

There are two things you need to watch out for. 1) Rings are much weaker under compression than torque or tension. If the weight of the ship on the pad doesn't crush the docking rings, they will probably make it through any compression force flight may put on them. 2) If you have more than one pair of docking rings linking the same two parts, only one pair of rings is the official, full-strength link, and the other may part under stress, even if it still says it is docked on the right-click menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.