[WIP] ActionGroupManager (AGM) initial release

SirJulio

Hello !

After many hours playing to KSP, reading the forum, and enjoying all your good mods, i decided to give something back to the community. So let me introduce my mod : Action Group Manager (AGM).

I was looking for an opportunity to develop a mod for KSP and look a little in the engine of the beast. One of my main frustration in KSP is the fact that it's impossible to modify your action group outside the editor. Forget to put a part in a custom action group while launching for your interplanetary mission ? Docked two vessels not primarily designed to be docked together, and your new composite vessel have all his action groups mixed ? Maybe this mod is for you.

Basically the mod is a two tabs window. One is used to look at parts and assign them to new action groups. The other tab is a recap of what a specific action group controls, and eventually remove an action from this action group. The mod is usable but in an early stage.

Current features list :

* Add, modify, remove part and actions to any action group at any time.

* Parts can be filtered by stage. Only show parts which appear as stagging icon. (Experimental)

* Parts can be filtered by categories

* Parts can be filtered with text

* Parts list is updated in real time (update delay can be modified in the settings, default is 1 second). Stagging, docking, Kerbal Attachment System junction, switching vessel (from space center, map, or even near switch) will update the mod accordingly. If you encounter performance issues, real-time update can be turned off, Part refresh will be done with a button in the settings window.

* When the window is closed and the real-time update turned off, the performance footprint should be negligible.

* The current selected part or actions is highlighted in blue in the game (and highlighted in the staging bar if applicable).

* In the part panel, if a part is attached to any action group, it will appear in yellow.

* In the action group panel, the number on the side of each action group is the number of part attached to this action group.

* Mods friendly (In theory at least, i use KAS, kethane, KWR, VOID).

* Window can be hided, dragged (not resized yet). A floating button stay on screen to show the window at any time. The floating button can be moved (drag and drop) and locked in place.

* Window position and preferences are saved when you quit the game.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download

Future :

* The drag and drop and click of the floating button can be weird sometimes. I try to find a better solution, in the meantime, when you move the icon around, do it slowly, and when you click on it to show the window, make sure to not move your mouse. blizzy78 is working on a very promising unified framework (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60066-WIP-Toolbar-Plugin-Common-API-for-draggable-buttons), and I will use it as soon as it is released.

* Improve the GUI. I'm not very pleased by the actual look of the GUI. Unity is kind of ... funny to use when you come from windows forms.

* Clean the code. Lots of refactoring to do, and maybe some internal design to change.

* Bug fix

License :

The code and the binary (even my gorgeous icon !) are licensed under the WTFPL License.

Every ideas, criticisms, feedbacks, insults are very welcomed. =)

To end this post, i would like to thanks all the modding community of KSP, you guys made so much good stuff, mods, tutorial etc ... and a special thank to TaranisElsu for your work, your example plugins were very useful to understand how the game works.

Wonderful. Absolutely a "must have" mod, in my case, as I can't keep memory of all the AG buttons assigned to lots of different vessels.

This mod provides for a much awaited functionality that was promised for ver. 2.0 of Actions on the fly, but never implemented.

And I like how the GUI is arranged, too, with the clever arrangement of the functions by type.

Yes, the GUI button can be dragged but with some difficulty, seems to be a unity limit; but believe that will be solved with the draggable buttons plugin by blizzy.

Truly a GREAT little mod. Thanks.

Looks good. Have you taken a look at Actions on the fly plugin? I would prefer having this style of activation than having another icon on the screen all the time.

Yes, i take a look at that mod. But, i prefer the centralized GUI interface. I have plans for future release to be able to select a parts by clicking on it on your vessel so maybe i will do a "minimal mode" GUI like AotF just to assign or remove specifc part from action group. I keep you updated. =)

Would it be at all possible to increase the number of custom action groups?

I don't really know if that's possible even possible actually. But i will look into it and tell you if that's the case. =)

If you find a way to add more custom actions, such as with new keybinds somehow, I would consider this a must have mod (and I am sure many already consider this kind of thing a must have of course).

Maybe things like Ctrl + (#), Alt + (#)

I should like to think that if you can get the game to read any keypress, you can also tie those keypresses to the code for activating various part functions (ex: disable engine). Those two combined should enable you to create more custom bindings just fine. Alas that is where my knowledge ends when it comes to programming. :|

@ Sir Julio: please know I found an issue with version 1.1.0.0, while switching ships the window of your plugin opens (here). That didn't happen as of version 1.0.0.0.

Can't say if it is related to the toolbar plugin or yours, but in case, could you take a moment to consider what may be the cause?

@ Sir Julio: please know I found an issue with version 1.1.0.0, while switching ships the window of your plugin opens (here). That didn't happen as of version 1.0.0.0.

Can't say if it is related to the toolbar plugin or yours, but in case, could you take a moment to consider what may be the cause?

Hello Diomedea,

i will look into that right now. I keep you updated. =)

Edit : Found the problem, fixed for the next version.

Edited by SirJulio

• 2 weeks later...
Can't seem to get this to load up the button in 0.22

I don't maintain this mod for 0.22 anymore, but there wasn't any breaking changes, so it must load fine. What's the problem ? Does the main window load but not the button ? Do you have any other mods which use the common toolbar ?

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: I just found that there is a newer thread for this. You may want to update the first post here with a large text notice that there is a new thread :)

Action Group Manager's actual post.

I have found a bug with Action Group Manager. I have tested this in the stock game (bug does not occur), with ActionGroupManager as the ONLY mod installed (bug occurs) and with all the other mods I normally run EXCEPT Action Group Manager (bug does not occur), so I am confident that this is the mod causing the bug.

When I have a command pod filled with experiments and I leave that pod behind with a Kerbal on EVA, and take that Kerbal far enough away that the pod unloads (2.5km or more. In my testing I went 3km away each time to be sure) and come back, ALL stored experiments vanish. This does not occur on short EVAs or when switching ships, only when an EVA'd Kerbal traveling causes the pod to unload from the current physics sphere.

If this happens to anybody else, you CAN recover your science by reloading a quicksave, though you'll of course lose anything from after your quicksave. I saved about 25 experiments (maybe 30 minutes of play time) that I'd lost due to this bug by restoring a before-the-last-landing quicksave and then just redoing the landing.

Edited by 5thHorseman

i'm reasonably sure that there's a bug with this mods that screws with quicksaving and the option to go to the space center. after installing this mod, I encoutered a big problem: I couldn't quicksave, pressing f5 did nothing. additionally, I could no go to the space center, the button simply wouldn't do anything. also could not recover vessels, again, the button would do nothing...

after I removed this mod, everything worked as it should...

• 3 weeks later...

Does this app put PMAction modules into the persistent.cfg file? If so I'd like to remove the module and ALL the PMAction modules from my persistent cfg file. This file is now HUGE and nearly two thirds of it are PMAction modules. It's so bad now that the game starts are 3GB and if I try to go into the tracking station the game will crash!!! I need this junk out of my persistent cfg file!

It digs itself in like a tick into every module of every part on every ship I have in flight and just kills the memory!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.