Nelson Mandala's Death

rasheed

Nelson Mandela was one of the greatest men of our time. He stood up against an oppressive racial regime, which was backed by even the United States. He and a handful of brave people took charge and brought Apartheid down, and gave rise to democracy in South Africa. He will be missed.

-zekes

Might want to brush up on your history...

Essentially, he ended the genocide of blacks in South Africa, also known as Apartheid. He also made the country a democracy, and was generally a great man.

Genocide? Maybe I'm not remembering my history, but I thought apartheid was pretty much segregation like what we had here in the states, only much worse.

In other words, I guess his "long walk to freedom" has finally ended.

Might want to brush up on your history...

Essentially, he ended the genocide of blacks in South Africa, also known as Apartheid. He also made the country a democracy, and was generally a great man.

Unfortunately, it looks like South Afrika is swinging the other way a bit too far. The country should be careful not to repeat its history with only the skin colours reversed.

Let's not get into politics and interracial discussions... It wasn't a genocide. It was stupidly unfair, yes. Think black people weren't allowed to use the same beaches, resturants, jobs, education, toilets, parks, anything really as white people. They had almost no rights, and were treated like animals.

Now there are a few racist black politicians, google Julius Malema for one, with his "shoot the boer" song (boer being a term for an afrikaaner, or someone who is Afrikaans). What aggravates it a bit more is there are two main parties, the ANC (African National Congress, which is the party "that brought freedom to the people" who have not lost an election since 1994, who are mostly corrupt and have the support of the uneducated (and the education department is a joke, which is why I'm in a private school and also leads to them getting more votes because people trust them blindly). To win an election the ANC basically reminds everyone of 1994 and promises the poor service delivery and housing that never happens.

Then you get the DA, they are the "white" party. They are run by a white woman called Helen Ziller (now that's already a problem with 99% black population). The DA always win the vote in Cape Town (which is the best city imo). They get all the white votes (that's an approximation) and quite a lot of votes from educated black people who see past the ANC's promises.

Eventually it turns into some sort of sick joke where the ANC promises the poor houses while they drive around in expensive cars (think a few multi-million Rand cars a year like a BMW M6, Mercedes C55 AMG, that sort of thing) paid for from tax payers money. And the because only around 3 million people pay tax out of the 51 million who live here. And you can guess who makes up the majority of the tax payers... (white people)

So that was a slightly biased explanation of how current politics works in South Africa, mostly because some people don't know the first thing about how it works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.