[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

Hey everyone, update. I've been silently working on the major update for this for the past while, and it's mostly feature complete. Of course, it's in dire, dire need of playtesting - so if anybody wants to try the probably unstable(!!!) release I'm working on, shoot me a PM.

I've also tested it and it works great with 0.24, and I've even implemented CactEye contracts (again, untested). It also seems to work fine with 64-bit, but KAS is still broken of course. It should be backward compatible with 0.23.5 as well, for those of you who don't want to update yet.

Don't misread this, though. The update's public release is still several days away.

Hey everyone, update. I've been silently working on the major update for this for the past while, and it's mostly feature complete. Of course, it's in dire, dire need of playtesting - so if anybody wants to try the probably unstable(!!!) release I'm working on, shoot me a PM.

I've also tested it and it works great with 0.24, and I've even implemented CactEye contracts (again, untested). It also seems to work fine with 64-bit, but KAS is still broken of course. It should be backward compatible with 0.23.5 as well, for those of you who don't want to update yet.

Don't misread this, though. The update's public release is still several days away.

Good to hear an update is on the way, and I have to say the concept of contracts for the telescope seems very interesting.

Also wanted to mention that I love this thing, great work.

Woot! New stuff! Will DOE (distant object) be updated too?

Given that I leave in a little over a week, I simply won't have time for a DOE update -- I'm barely getting this update out the door. And, unfortunately, this also leaves DOE somewhat incompatible with the new CactEye; every time you want to use the telescope you'll have to go into DOE's settings and disable the flares. It sucks, but there's just nothing that I can really do at this point.

Ok, interesting problem with the processor. it is saying that there isn't a processor and when i go to check on it, this is what I get. Also, there is no activate. This could make it kinda hard to play. Also, I was just getting the CoM error on it for a minute when I moved it to Munnar orbit. I do NOT have any parachutes on it, so it is not the realchute glitch.

SKwyyDr.png

9T28zIS.png

I've got this strange artifacts when using Cacteye, with and without flares enabled.

Anyone got suggestion how to deal with that? Could that be Hullcam or DOE issue?

It suppose to be Jool and it's moons:

cacteye.png

Will the update remove the dependency of Hullcam by any chance? This is the only mod I use that requires it and would be great to have one less extra mod in the list :)

The new update will remove all hard dependencies, and will no longer interact with Hullcam in any way. It now uses its own camera system.

I've got this strange artifacts when using Cacteye, with and without flares enabled.

Anyone got suggestion how to deal with that? Could that be Hullcam or DOE issue?

It suppose to be Jool and it's moons:

-snip-

AFAIK, this is a problem with the game's imprecisions at extreme distances (the infamous floating point errors). When you consider the extreme distance being simulated between the two planets, I'm actually super surprised the result looks as good as it does. Do note that VisualEnhancements seems to worsen this effect as it's drawing another layer or two on top of the planet.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

The new update will remove all hard dependencies, and will no longer interact with Hullcam in any way. It now uses its own camera system.

AFAIK, this is a problem with the game's imprecisions at extreme distances (the infamous floating point errors). When you consider the extreme distance being simulated between the two planets, I'm actually super surprised the result looks as good as it does. Do note that VisualEnhancements seems to worsen this effect as it's drawing another layer or two on top of the planet.

So what about KAS? will it remove to or we need to wait to new wersion or hotfix?

Whoo hoo!! This is sounding even more great!! :D

On KAS, if it's like the current / old version KAS would be required if you want to upgrade / modify the telescope after launch but not for using the mod itself. So you could use it without KAS if you launch a new telescope to use higher tech parts.

So what about KAS? will it remove to or we need to wait to new wersion or hotfix?

I specifically made sure it wasn't required due to KAS's current instability on x64 and problems with 0.24. The new update is still backwards-compatible with 0.23.5, though, for those who are still waiting for other mods to update. You won't be able to swap out parts or anything without KAS installed, but without the weird structure restrictions you can get pretty creative with your servicing missions. For instance, for one of my upgrading missions while testing the mod sans-KAS, I just slapped some upgraded processors onto a truss and jerry-rigged it to the telescope with the ARM claw. You could even just put a 2.5m docking mode between the optics and cargo bay and just swap out the entire bay for a really slick service mission.

Also, I aim to release the update later today, if everything goes well!

I specifically made sure it wasn't required due to KAS's current instability on x64 and problems with 0.24. The new update is still backwards-compatible with 0.23.5, though, for those who are still waiting for other mods to update. You won't be able to swap out parts or anything without KAS installed, but without the weird structure restrictions you can get pretty creative with your servicing missions. For instance, for one of my upgrading missions while testing the mod sans-KAS, I just slapped some upgraded processors onto a truss and jerry-rigged it to the telescope with the ARM claw. You could even just put a 2.5m docking mode between the optics and cargo bay and just swap out the entire bay for a really slick service mission.

Also, I aim to release the update later today, if everything goes well!

Awesome can't wait! Are you planning to add contracts with this? :)

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't tried it yet but the ModuleManager config to make those changes would look like:

@PART[tele_mount]{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
}
@PART[tele_processor_*]{
@MODULE[KASModuleGrab]{
@evaPartDir = (0,-1,0)
}
}

Edit: Yes this works fine. Should work as a stop-gap until the mod is updated.

Edit: slight correction. It was late.

Where exactly do we make this change?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.