[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

Service ladder is now finished:

Dxj85zB.png?1

D78AmMl.png?1

If you're wondering where I've been for the past couple of weeks, I actually had an idea for a sweet new feature to add to this and I ended up working on that quite a bit. It ended up being cool enough that I think I'll make it an entirely separate mod out of it. But before I really start plowing into the new project, I'll definitely at least get a first release out for this mod, don't worry. Basically, all that's left is a few more models to crank out, some part/experiment descriptions, and other general polishing. It's also a four-day weekend for me, so I'll try to get as much done as possible.

http://i.imgur.com/Dxj85zB.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/D78AmMl.png?1

If you're wondering where I've been for the past couple of weeks, I actually had an idea for a sweet new feature to add to this and I ended up working on that quite a bit. It ended up being cool enough that I think I'll make it an entirely separate mod out of it. But before I really start plowing into the new project, I'll definitely at least get a first release out for this mod, don't worry. Basically, all that's left is a few more models to crank out, some part/experiment descriptions, and other general polishing. It's also a four-day weekend for me, so I'll try to get as much done as possible.

Looks good :D I want to know NOW what this new project is :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/Dxj85zB.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/D78AmMl.png?1

This looks so awesome! I can't wait to use it! It is also a 4 day weekend for me too. :)

=( Only a 3day weekend here.

Have to say, really anticipating the release of this. Love science stuff and love anything that gives kerbals meaningful stuff to do during EVA. The way both are pulled together....perfect!

Looking forward to deploying and servicing a couple of these scopes...and also any other projects you decide to take on. You have a good eye for adding to gameplay.

A small suggestion if I may.... Use some color coding on the different inserts. I know many KSP players on older machines, or ones that are mod crazy (like me) are playing with texture settings turned down. This makes it rather difficult to read text on smallish parts. Even something as simple as making the backround for the 'Cateye' logo a different color on each insert type would do wonders for those of use running on 1/2 res and using texture reduction =)

Edited by KhaosCorp

If you mean other ships nope, anything 2.5km away from your ship is unloaded

Actually, it's funny this should be brought up...

This is that new project I referred to in my last post:

hyVXKqb.png?1

(click for full size)

As you can see in the guidance sensor box, the vessel is ~415km away.

The plugin works by going through on-rails vessels and drawing models where the parts are supposed to be. It doesn't render physics or anything (just visual), so it shouldn't be too performance-intensive (I need to do more testing on that note). You can now see vessels up to 750km away! There is some z-fighting due to the inaccuracy at that distance, and some other bugs and stuff.

Again, this is NOT something that'll be included with the CactEye plugin -- I'll be expanding this mod further and (maybe) making planets and vessels accurately visible from large distances. I'll probably make a separate thread for this soon. It'll be pretty sweet when combined with the telescope. But I'll be focusing on CactEye at least for now -- I essentially have two models and a few other tidbits to make and then I'm ready for a first release.

Also, as far as seeing surface features on other planets, that's a no for the moment. If the terrain rendering works like I think it does, I doubt you can get any better than high-resolution texture replacements tbh. I've actually been trying to increase the render distance of static objects (KSC, island airport, other easter eggs), but it seems that some of them appear below the terrain at long distances.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Actually, it's funny this should be brought up...

This is that new project I referred to in my last post:

http://i.imgur.com/hyVXKqb.png?1

(click for full size)

As you can see in the guidance sensor box, the vessel is ~415km away.

The plugin works by going through on-rails vessels and drawing models where the parts are supposed to be. It doesn't render physics or anything (just visual), so it shouldn't be too performance-intensive (I need to do more testing on that note). You can now see vessels up to 750km away! There is some z-fighting due to the inaccuracy at that distance, and some other bugs and stuff.

Again, this is NOT something that'll be included with the CactEye plugin -- I'll be expanding this mod further and (maybe) making planets and vessels accurately visible from large distances. I'll probably make a separate thread for this soon. It'll be pretty sweet when combined with the telescope. But I'll be focusing on CactEye at least for now -- I essentially have two models and a few other tidbits to make and then I'm ready for a first release.

Also, as far as seeing surface features on other planets, that's a no for the moment. If the terrain rendering works like I think it does, I doubt you can get any better than high-resolution texture replacements tbh. I've actually been trying to increase the render distance of static objects (KSC, island airport, other easter eggs), but it seems that some of them appear below the terrain at long distances.

Looks awesome. Can't wait to send MRO or LRO style orbiters around Mun and Duna

As for a pre-release/beta, I was planning on doing that once I get to the first milestone I set for myself. If I get a chance to really get some stuff done tomorrow, I'll probably be able to put something out this weekend. Take that with a grain of salt though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.