[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

It won't it's to big the telescope is 2.5 and the shuttle cargo bay is 1.25. I'm going to use the kerbin mini shuttle to repair and upgrade the telescope

Edit:ninja'd

You can always try taking it to orbit with some shuttles from space shuttle engines mod. One called endeavour had 2,5 m cargo bay from b9, its pretty fun to take things into orbot with it.

You can also try aking your shuttle, but for me its still to hard :)

U3luaO2.png

You could do that yourself by adding "rescaleFactor = 0.45" to every part.cfg, though I wouldn't add it to the ladder.

This will make the parts 1.125.

Tried that, I get a "the optics aren't aligned" error. I rescaled the parts with 0.65 factor and they all fit right but the 'scope won't work.

Tried that, I get a "the optics aren't aligned" error. I rescaled the parts with 0.65 factor and they all fit right but the 'scope won't work.

The processors would need the "opticsDistance" field (in the TelescopeProcessor module) changed as well, I think it'd be 3.4*(rescaleFactor / 1.25). So for a rescaleFactor of 0.45 the opticsDistance would be ~1.224.

Note that I haven't tested this, and I have no idea how it'll work rescaled. I hope to add smaller size telescopes in a future release, although it'll be limited compared the larger scope.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

The processors would need the "opticsDistance" field (in the TelescopeProcessor module) changed as well, I think it'd be 3.4*(rescaleFactor / 1.25). So for a rescaleFactor of 0.45 the opticsDistance would be ~1.224.

Note that I haven't tested this, and I have no idea how it'll work rescaled. I hope to add smaller size telescopes in a future release, although it'll be limited compared the larger scope.

That worked a treat. Thanks Rubber Ducky both for the Scope and the advice.

Now all we need is the KSO to put it in.....

Have been messing around with re-sizes and cargo-bays, if the KSO is 2.5m or thereabouts a 1.25m diameter scope should fit in the bay. This means a re-scale factor of 0.65 and with corresponding changes in the "opticsDistance" value(the maths is beyond me :( ).

Can't wait to re-enact STS-61.hubble-eva.jpg?1309297914

Edited by Sage Sagan

That worked a treat. Thanks Rubber Ducky both for the Scope and the advice.

Now all we need is the KSO to put it in.....

Have been messing around with re-sizes and cargo-bays, if the KSO is 2.5m or thereabouts a 1.25m diameter scope should fit in the bay. This means a re-scale factor of 0.65 and with corresponding changes in the "opticsDistance" value(the maths is beyond me :( ).

Can't wait to re-enact STS-61.http://i.space.com/images/i/000/010/638/i02/hubble-eva.jpg?1309297914

Mind posting your config changes? I'm a tad bit confused, an well, if you already did it, maybe I can get away being lazy!:P:sticktongue::D

Mind posting your config changes? I'm a tad bit confused, an well, if you already did it, maybe I can get away being lazy!:P:sticktongue::D

No problem, I didn't actually post the optics changes because I was being lazy.

All parts re-scaled : "rescaleFactor = 0.65"

All three of the processors must also have their config files altered "opticsDistance = 3.4" replaced with "opticsDistance = 2.21"

I tried the scope at the smaller scale suggested earlier in the thread and it just looked too dinky, but at 1.25m it still looks like some serious science.

Sorry to post so much on your thread Rubber ducky

I just built a telescope space station and have been trying this out. One thing I think would be cool would be a special module that would allow a Sun study. Maybe a special processor?

Not sure if this one is possible, but some of the modules like the cosmic origins, kerbin survey, etc... instead of triggering 500 science in one go there should be a cool down or something on it so to get full science you would have to re-visit that experiment at a later time or a later point in Kerbin's orbit around the sun or the telescope's orbit around kerbin.

Also seems strange that a high-tech processor wouldn't be able to run the low-tech modules.

Really cool telescope and great ideas for implementing the servicing part.

Edit: Problem I keep running into with the Wide Field 3 (haven't tried 1 or 2), is I can see the planet or moon and am lined up according to the Cacteye tool provided... then it says "Blocked by Kerbin" and I get nothing. Kerbin is most certainly not in the way. It appears that if the telescope is pointing at a target in the brown area of the Nav-Ball, it considers the planet as blocking even if it is not. Once I did a little time warp so the target was in the blue it was fine. My orbit btw is 1000K equatorial circular, so Kerbin isn't covering much.

Edited by helaeon

Every time I try to use the experiment, this happens:

http://i.imgur.com/lpkeyRs.png

It could be because of Community science project, or CaptRobaus science tweaks?

Make sure you have ALL required mods posted on the first page. Also, by community science project are you referring to the crowd-sourced science logs? In that case, neither that nor CaptRobau's science tweaks should be causing a conflict. Do you have any other mods installed?

Edit: Problem I keep running into with the Wide Field 3 (haven't tried 1 or 2), is I can see the planet or moon and am lined up according to the Cacteye tool provided... then it says "Blocked by Kerbin" and I get nothing. Kerbin is most certainly not in the way. It appears that if the telescope is pointing at a target in the brown area of the Nav-Ball, it considers the planet as blocking even if it is not. Once I did a little time warp so the target was in the blue it was fine. My orbit btw is 1000K equatorial circular, so Kerbin isn't covering much.

Huh, I'll have to look into that. That bit of code was always a bit dodgy. Also, I quite like the idea of making the basic experiments being rerunnable after a longer period of time -- might have to look into a good way to do that.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Having downloaded KAS specifically to service this telescope, how does changing experiments work?? I understand there's KAS attachment points and containers, do any of the KAS attachment points need to be in the service bay?? A guide for KAS noobs'd be awesome.

Having downloaded KAS specifically to service this telescope, how does changing experiments work?? I understand there's KAS attachment points and containers, do any of the KAS attachment points need to be in the service bay?? A guide for KAS noobs'd be awesome.

I assume you would grab the experiments with a kerbal, then take experiments from other rocket, place it in.

You right click on the part you want to remove and then click on "Grab".

Discard the part or place it in a container. Now grab the part you want to place and press h to place it.

For the processor units you right click on the mount and click on "Store" to place it.

Haha, cheers, had work straight after school and I didn't want to come home just to launch it, do it wrong, and fill myself with despair, thanks.

This is seriously great though Rubber Ducky, fantastic work, the quality of KSP adding has sky-rocketed lately, in my opinion.

Everywhere is technically an attachment point. What works well is have the new parts in a container (I like to have a container rack also right outside of the service bay to store more parts or just swap the containers out). Then you right click on the container and take the part you want. Then you right click on that part on the kerbal's back and click "attach" and place it in the service bay where you want it. Once you have it where you'd like left click and you'll hear the drilling sound (and it's green just like in the VAB, if it's yellow you're too far away but it's a valid place if it's red you can't place it there at all).

You can right click on parts that you see in the bay that you want to remove and select "grab" and those will go on the kerbal's back. Be careful though because you can only carry one part at a time. So if you Grab and you already have one, the one that was on your back will float away! Sometimes very quickly!

I went through this whole forum, and I can't believe nobody has posted and AAR of the deployment of this beauty! I just finished my mission and am about to head home. I thought I would share this STS-61-inspired mission with everyone as proof of what the telescope can do.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I thoroughly enjoyed this mission, and it will be one of my favorites because of the functional applications of this mod. Thank you OP!

Edited by SkyHook

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.