[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

I have my own asteroid roleplay setup so I'm interested to hear more about this. Currently when deploying something like this I was going to just add a multiplier to increase my rate of discovering new asteroids, but sounds like this will do it for me. So basically it gives you more than 7 new possibles to track at any given time?

It's not what I'm planning currently - the idea is that asteroid discoveries are incredibly rare initially (1/128), until you send a few telescopes to orbit and you can build it back up to the stock rate (1/2). But as far as I can tell, it's incredibly easy to change how untracked objects are handled - just swap a few variables - so maybe I'll add some config options or something.

This is delving a little past CactEye, but it'd be pretty cool to see large impacting asteroids actually have devastating effects on the game's economy coming in 0.24, and then it'd be critical gameplay-wise to divert them away from Kerbin. I don't know if that's been suggested to Squad, but I'd love to see it in game.

How do you get views through the telescope? I activate sensor and point the telescope, lens cap open of course, and I only see starfield, not the target object. I'm pretty sure I'm pointed very close, the fine guidance sensor gives distance reading. I have it set up just inside Kerbin SOI, outside minmus's orbit and trying to observe Kerbin or Mun through the telescope but no dice.

I have Distant Objects Mod, Hull Cam, and KAS.

How do you get views through the telescope? I activate sensor and point the telescope, lens cap open of course, and I only see starfield, not the target object. I'm pretty sure I'm pointed very close, the fine guidance sensor gives distance reading. I have it set up just inside Kerbin SOI, outside minmus's orbit and trying to observe Kerbin or Mun through the telescope but no dice.

I have Distant Objects Mod, Hull Cam, and KAS.

Have you tried zooming in?

yes, tried zooming in, just star field getting more pixelated, and the fine guidance sensor window gets jittery. I'm using mid tech imaging process, 2000x magnification, but I don't think that'd make any difference... I should see something even without zoom no? on account of distant object enhancements mod.

Hey everyone, just letting you guys know that I'm actually working on another update for this... after a three month hiatus.

Good to see you back! The asteroid system sounds very interesting. As for star names, Krakanis Majoris??:P

yes, tried zooming in, just star field getting more pixelated, and the fine guidance sensor window gets jittery. I'm using mid tech imaging process, 2000x magnification, but I don't think that'd make any difference... I should see something even without zoom no? on account of distant object enhancements mod.

Hmm so you can't even see Kerbin or the Mun when looking? Something definitely sounds off then. Maybe try hiding the GUI with F2, as I've heard that fixes some problems.

Yeah, I can usually get the planets to render if I switch the GUI on and off, but that may not work for every one.

Also, just gauging interest here, but what are your thoughts on making the gyroscopes/reaction wheels deteriorate over time? They're very overpowered at the moment compared to the stock parts, and it would also add more incentive to continue servicing the telescope after all the tech is maxed out.

Yeah, I can usually get the planets to render if I switch the GUI on and off, but that may not work for every one.

Also, just gauging interest here, but what are your thoughts on making the gyroscopes/reaction wheels deteriorate over time? They're very overpowered at the moment compared to the stock parts, and it would also add more incentive to continue servicing the telescope after all the tech is maxed out.

Hello my friend, first I would like to thank you for one of the finest mods around!

And I like your idea a lot, since I already roleplay that some parts are deteriorated or broken and need to be replaced.

I'll give it a go. would be nice to get some screen caps of various objects through the telescope. it's a great mod!

Still no dice, UI visible or hidden. :( I think it's something with Hullcam plugin. tried the telescopes from that mod, same thing.

Edited by nli2work

It's working! Not sure why, but reinstalling Distant Object mod seem to fix telescope. Not the best shot, I just lobbed a telescope up high enough to test. You can barely see the Mun near the middle; and Duna just left of the Sun. Awesome!

e2Rr42S.jpg

Seem to have an issue here... I'm trying to replace a processor, only the new processor doesn't give me the option to attach? The experiments work just fine like any other KAS-compatible part, but I don't get the context menu on the high tech processor. I can only drop or activate it. Don't get the attach option after dropping either. I've got the MM config from the post referenced off the OP, is there something else I'm missing here?

I haven't tried it yet but the ModuleManager config to make those changes would look like:

@PART[tele_mount]{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
}
@PART[tele_processor_*]{
@MODULE[KASModuleGrab]{
@evaPartDir = (0,-1,0)
}
}

Edit: Yes this works fine. Should work as a stop-gap until the mod is updated.

Edit: slight correction. It was late.

How do I use this?

How do I use this?

Download and install ModuleManager. Take the above copy, put it in a text file and save in your game data folder withe the name "CacteyeProcessorKASFix.cfg" (or anything as long as it has the .cfg extension).

Seem to have an issue here... I'm trying to replace a processor, only the new processor doesn't give me the option to attach? The experiments work just fine like any other KAS-compatible part, but I don't get the context menu on the high tech processor. I can only drop or activate it. Don't get the attach option after dropping either. I've got the MM config from the post referenced off the OP, is there something else I'm missing here?

I'm having problems with this also. In my case I can store the Low Tech processor in the processor mount, but it installs upside down, clipping through the bottom of the service bay. Any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I'm having problems with this also. In my case I can store the Low Tech processor in the processor mount, but it installs upside down, clipping through the bottom of the service bay. Any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Did you use the cfg posted here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60750-WIP-Cacteye-Telescope-v0-1-%282-1-14%29-Modular-EVA-serviceable-orbital-telescope?p=1180251&viewfull=1#post1180251

Edit just 2 post up ?

For some reason, when this mod Is installed, KSP fails to load huge amounts of assets. For example, all parts but the cacteye parts are missing.

Are you on Mac? Because that can happen when you copy across the Cateye gamedata folder incorrectly, as Macs overwrite feature is more of a replace than a merge. I don't know how to do it as I don't use a Mac, but don't try and merge Gamedata folders, just copy across Cacteye to inside the target Gamedata.

Course, that's not a lot of help right now, as you now probably have a mostly empty Gamedata folder that you'll need to refill :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.