DeltaV Without Tears!! NEED TESTERS! NEED Excel 2010

Goosexi

I just finished off DeltaV without tears. It is a Delta V calculator for KSP I need input on what needs to be changed improved! I also want to get rid of any bugs it may have and make sure all the calculations are correct!

I will be adding other calculators and stuff to it later.

So far it has every part in the game.

It can calculate....

Combined ISP

DeltaV

TWR

It also shows info on...

Fuel weights

Electricity

tons of stuffs!

all you need is Excel 2010!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4dyiyx3oqfx11l/DvwoT%20%20Ver%201.0.xlsm

Things to be added/Changed

-Some font errors

-ISP for RCS thrusters

-Polishing

-Adding Staging

Edited by Goosexi

Well, the macros make it take ages to load, and probably are why it has display/actually doing anything issues in Libre Office 4.1.3. (Why not Excel? Because I'd rather not blow $140 when my normal spreadsheet and wordprocessing requirements are met by $0 software. This includes a fair amount of writing and number crunching, so...)

Edited by UmbralRaptor

Neat Stuff. Thanks for throwing this together, it looks like it took some time.

I preface the quick testing below with the fact that I am only running xl starter on the laptop, can play around more tomorrow with the macros and such on a real machine. I went through a couple different simple rocket builds real quick and didn't notice anything broken in the calculations. Seems to function as intended and that's cool.

On Engines!J64 you get a #div/0 if you remove any value from M, an =if("your huge formula here"=#div/0,0,"your huge formula here) might fix it and others like it, if you are going for that polished look.

Could do without the underlined headings that do not contain hyperlink, though they could be placeholders?

You could add an importer for text files and then slap in some vlookups to bring the values into the charts, might be a bit much though.

Flight engineer and MechJeb already do this.

Yes but for those of us that don't use mods. this is a way to do calculations on a large scale.

Goosexi: I've made something like this a while back in excel: http://www./view/3zfmf4ef5ro3z29/Calculator.xlsx i haven't used it or updated it since 0.20, but hope it will help you.

Engineer and MechJeb can easily get stymied by any non-trivial craft. Just a simple Apollo style lander and orbiter can require some guess work because of the docking/redocking involved and the change in mass. They can't handle RCS either, or engines activated out of sequence. This is one of the reasons why I don't like Engineer/Mechjeb (though I still use them), they tend to guide people into the particular craft designs that are well suited to the calculations they are capable of.

I also have an Excel sheet which I use primarily for calculating the fuel needed for a certain amount of delta-v, the opposite of what Engineer/MechJeb give you.

I've often wanted to use either, but there is an issue with FRAME RATE. Or even the whole, "I'd like to do this by hand." that this allows. It's too bad you believe there's no room in KSP for anything you don't personally sanction or find viable. You could just do here what I do with MechJeb, and don't use it.

I'm going to see if it loads in Numbers (The Mac version of Excel)

[EDIT]: I think it sort of works. All there is is a chart with the pods on it and some cut-off text.

Edited by I.R.L.

I've often wanted to use either, but there is an issue with FRAME RATE.

Does Engineer have a performance hit? I know that Mechjeb does, but I've never noticed a difference with Engineer.

Does this worksheet have any way to deal with stages? Maybe I missed it, but without that it seems like it would be very tricky to deal with anything beyond a simple, one-stage design. It would require some kind of dummy mass for all but the current stage. I guess it should be ok for landers though.

Well, I guess I found an issue but it's not likely one you care all that much about. I was trying to use your spreadsheet to figure out how much DeltaV I had trying to build ... an emergency craft of sorts. In order to keep the weight down I wanted to just use RCS thrusters. However, your spreadsheet only calculates DeltaV for the engines, a fact I understand but unfortunately doesn't help me so much.

Well, I guess I found an issue but it's not likely one you care all that much about. I was trying to use your spreadsheet to figure out how much DeltaV I had trying to build ... an emergency craft of sorts. In order to keep the weight down I wanted to just use RCS thrusters. However, your spreadsheet only calculates DeltaV for the engines, a fact I understand but unfortunately doesn't help me so much.

Here is the worksheet that I use. The only values that you need to change are along the top row. For RCS you need to input the total mass, the ISP (I think 260 for RCS), the total amount of mono fuel and the amount of fuel you want to use. That should spit out values for RCS delta-v, fuel flow rate, and burn time (all of the important results are bolded).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/at54r4o4g9thvnb/KSP%20math.xlsx

There's also OpenOffice, Spreadsheet. Its cross platform and can open a good variety of formats.

Edit: but your file chokes OpenOffice. The file loads about 2/3 of the way and hangs. But that's an O.O. problem, since others can open your file.

Edited by Dispatcher
Chokes OpenOffice.

I dont plan on making a version (yet) for Libre Office or any other "Microsoft suite" platform. It took me quite some time to do all of this and figure out how to input the equations. So please remain patient as I update it more.

I could implement some of that as well! even though it isn't the main mode of travel it still can be used for a variety of functions!

The setup of "stages" isn't really there but you could do each stage separately and just keep the dead weight as that most of the weight that doesn't change is the payload. I do want to say this was more intended for vessels already in a vacuum because most of the bodies and game is spent in one. What I will be adding is possibly another sheet with stage layouts where you can calculate the Dv for each stage. Its hard to do staging on paper because unlike the VAB you dont get to truly see your creation just its underlying specs.

I know that some of the functionality of this sheet isn't completely there... yet! This was to get an Idea of what people want out of it!

Once again please be patient and try to give input based on whats there!

The sheets are protected but.. The only thing that needs to be modified is the blue areas all other fields are linked to equations so changing any of it would destroy its function.

...The only thing that needs to be modified is the blue areas all other fields are linked to equations so changing any of it would destroy its function...

I'm unable to modify the "blue" fields and enter the a number of engines (or any other part). Probably some Microsoft Mac bug. Otherwise it's a lovely looking piece, if only I could use it….

Excel Mac 2011

V14.3.8

xPV8zym.png

I'm unable to modify the "blue" fields and enter the a number of engines (or any other part). Probably some Microsoft Mac bug. Otherwise it's a lovely looking piece, if only I could use it….

Excel Mac 2011

V14.3.8

xPV8zym.png

Yeah I dont know why it would be doing that. I will have to look into a possible cause of why. It should let you modify all the fields.

I've often wanted to use either, but there is an issue with FRAME RATE. Or even the whole, "I'd like to do this by hand." that this allows. It's too bad you believe there's no room in KSP for anything you don't personally sanction or find viable. You could just do here what I do with MechJeb, and don't use it.

I don't see from which part of his post you have concluded that the poster "believes there is no room in KSP for anything he does not personally sanctions or finds viable". He merely stated there are already tools that do the same job, nothing else.

I don't see from which part of his post you have concluded that the poster "believes there is no room in KSP for anything he does not personally sanctions or finds viable". He merely stated there are already tools that do the same job, nothing else.

Yeah I dont really care much about other mods. I know there have been many versions and types of something like this and I just wanted to take a shot at it. I do plan on adding to it and improving it. I guess people didn't like it because its criticizing it without any testing.

The protection shouldn't prevent you from entering numbers in the blue boxes. Sometimes you have to click an "enable editing" button or something like that before it will let you do anything (which isn't the same as unlocking the worksheet).

The protection shouldn't prevent you from entering numbers in the blue boxes. Sometimes you have to click an "enable editing" button or something like that before it will let you do anything (which isn't the same as unlocking the worksheet).

Im gonna look at possibly changing the protection setting. The problem is that using anything other than 2010 Excel for windows has some kind of isuue with the interface/password protection or some other factor. I understand that everyone wants to try using this... But if you dont have the same version that I specifically put in the title and initial post I cant help you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.