[0.23.x] Coffee Industries Release Thread

CoffeeSE

coffeeindustrieslogosmall_zps943a9343.png

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if anyone still remembers me, but I'm back after my one year hiatus, I've been incredibly busy with school and work. Around KSP version 0.18.2, I made a addon pack called "Modular Airliner", which had a bunch of parts in it to make, well, airliners. I finally updated that addon pack to 0.22.x, after remaking, removing and adding some parts. So I thought I'd release it for everyone to enjoy. You're probably wondering why I named this thread "Release Thread", well that's because in the time I had during the past year, I made worked on making a bunch of parts for KSP, but never released, but I'll do that now in this thread, after I get them all updated to 0.22.x. Anyways, here's the addon:

TL;DR: Updated Modular Airliner from 0.18.2 to 0.22.x.

Releases:

[0.23.x] MODULAR AIRLINER (Version 2.1.1)

Banner_zps51f2a146.jpg

This pack adds a bunch of parts which you can assemble into commercial airliners of various shapes and sizes.

Parts list:

General:

• Centre of mass trim device
  • Centre of lift trim device
  • Rescaled stock Jet Engine to 0.625 metre diameter*
  • Rescaled stock TurboJet Engine to 0.625 metre diameter*

CI-10 Airplane (Standard 2.5 metre diameter parts):

• 4 Passenger fuselage (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • 8 Passenger fuselage (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • 8 Passenger fuselage with upper wing mount (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • 8 Passenger fuselage with lower wing mount (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • Swept wing with integrated fuel tank
  • Straight wing with integrated fuel tank
  • Cockpit with custom IVA
  • Tail with integrated electrical generator that runs on LiquidFuel
  • Vertical Stabilizer
  • Horizontal Stabilizer
  • 2.5 Metre cargo and bomb bay
  • 5 Metre cargo and bomb bay
  • Fuselage cargo bay with lower wing mount
  • Fuselage bomb bay with upper wing mount
  • Nose cap for cockpit

CI-110 Airplane (Non-standarad 2 metre diameter parts):

• 4 Passenger fuselage (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • 6 Passenger fuselage with upper wing mount (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • 6 Passenger fuselage with lower wing mount (IVA to come SoonTM)
  • Swept wing with integrated fuel tank
  • Straight wing with integrated fuel tank
  • Cockpit with custom IVA
  • Tail with integrated electrical generator that runs on LiquidFuel
  • Tail with 1 x 1.25 metre engine mount with integrated electrical generator that runs on LiquidFuel
  • Tail with 2 x 1.25 metre engine mount with integrated electrical generator that runs on LiquidFuel
  • Vertical Stabilizer
  • Horizontal Stabilizer
  • 2.5 Metre cargo and bomb bay
  • Fuselage cargo bay with lower wing mount
  • Fuselage bomb bay with upper wing mount
  • Nose cap for cockpit
  • 0.625 metre (1/2 size of standard engines) wing engine mount/intake nacelle

This album shows some of the planes I built using this, as well as some planes I've included in the download.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

License: This work is licensed under:

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

88x31.png

*Except these parts, they're just .cfg edited/rescaled stock parts. All rights and etc. of these parts belongs to their creator Squad. I take no credit and etc. for these, I just rescaled them, these aren't under ^that license.

For KSP Version 0.23.x, MOD version 2.1.1 (DL via Dropbox)

Old:

For KSP Version 0.22 (DOWNLOAD via KerbalSpacePort)

For KSP Version 0.22 (DOWNLOAD via DropBox)

How to Install: Included in Readme (or you know, just unzip and drag n' drop into KSP main folder [merge with GameData folder]).

Suggestions! If there's something you like/don't like, post in comments, or PM me to either yell at or congratulate me. If there's something you would like to get added to this mod/want me to change or make, post in comments or PM me. Have fun!

Change log:

Version 2.1.1 For KSP 0.23.x

• Balanced some stuff (thanks to DevL for bringing it to my attention)

Version 2.1 For KSP 0.23.x

• Updated to KSP Part Tools 0.20
  • Added ability for wings and fuselage wing mount to store Oxidizer for SSTO crafts

Todo list:

• IVA for Passenger Fuselage
  • Update IVA for Cockpits to include tools
  • Whatever I get in suggestions that I like
  • Probably update/fix the textures a bit
  • Fully integrate into tech tree for career

Bugs

EDIT: Should be fine now...

EDIT 2: Ok, apparently the problem is till occurring, I'm gonna go install hackintosh now...

Ok, so there is a problem with the models when running on Macintoshes (thanks to ultrasquid for bringing my attention to this). It is most likely because I exported the models from Unity into KSP using an older version of Part Tools (0.18), instead of the current 0.20. I will re-export the models and re-upload the mod, which should (hopefully) fix this. So please be patient, this problem shouldn't be occurring on PCs though. Thanks!

Updates:

Moved to this thread here: Click me!

[0.23.x] Hornisse Tandem Cockpit (Version 1.0)

This is just a two Kerbal tandem cockpit I made incorporating alpha transparency and some IVA props as practice. So I thought I'd share it. I call it the "Hornisse" because it's partially inspired by the cockpit of the Me 410.

License: This work is licensed under:

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

88x31.png

For KSP Version 0.23.x, MOD version 1.2 (DL via Dropbox)

Installation instructions included in download.

***The zipped size is ~1.7 MB, however, the unzipped size is ~17.5 MB. This is about as small as I can make the interior textures without serious quality loss.

Change log:

Version 1.2 For KSP 0.23.x

• new chairs because I didn't like the old ones
  • smaller by about a lot of MBs, should fix memory issues

Version 1.1 For KSP 0.23.x

• the glass/windows in IVA now have blue tint to them. Special thanks to Alskari for helping me figure it out! :)
  • lights now cast shadows properly in IVA

Version 1.0 For KSP 0.23.x

• release

Bugs and Compatibility:

No clue, no bugs so far. Should be compatible with everything, considering it's just a part.

Note: SoonTM means either tomorrow or some time before I die (probably). Have fun!

Edited by CoffeeSE

Ah ha! I knew I'd eventually have a use for this reserved post...anyways:

Ongoing Projects

All the stuff I'm working on will be posted here.

Work in Progress: Swordfish 2 (from Cowboy Bebop)

This is the modelled object without the textures, as this is the only shot of the Swordfish as a whole.

This was from back in KSP version 0.19, but stuff happened and I did not finish it.

It was originally designed to be equipped with a decoupler cannon, but I'm not sure if those still work in game anymore. It will have VTOL, folding wings, and fully functional landing gears as it did in the show. You can see the landing gears and the bullet for the decoupler cannon in the screenshot. If I remember correctly, all of the textures and normal maps are already done for this, I just have to find and update them. It may or may not have the ejectable ball cockpit thing like it did in the show, depending on if I'm able to make it work or not.

Work in Progress: Gothic style dropship...kinda?

So I tried building a VTOL SSTO dropship using stock parts and failed miserably. So I said frack it, I'll just make one. Partially inspired by Warhammer 40k, because the lore is cool. The final product will probably be dust-red, with folding wings.

Work in Progress: VentureStar (PENDING)

Just a screenshot of the newly made cockpit of the VentureStar (Mark II, cause I butchered the one I made last year, and yes, I realize that IRL the VentureStar was to be unmanned, with the ability to carry 7 astronauts as cargo, but where's the fun in that?) in the modelling program I use all textured and stuff, ready to be exported to Unity and then KSP.

Thought I'd update you guys on the progress. The modelling portion is like 95% done, I just need to make some adjustments to compensate for KSP's mirroring parts thing. The textures for this is about 50-75% done, cause I'm reusing the old textures from the previous ship I made, and just updating it to look prettier.

List of Progress n' stuff:

• Cockpit interior: DONE, 100%
  • Cockpit exterior: DONE, 100%
  • Cargo Bay: DONE, 100%
  • Side fins: WIP, 75%
  • Vertical Stabilizers: WIP, 75%
  • Linear Aerospike Engines: DONE, 100%
  • Extras: WIP, 75%

ETA: Aha ha, you didn't think I'd actually post this did you? :3 sorry...

Description:

Anyways, this cockpit holds 3 Kerbals (2 Pilots, 1 Flight Engineer [that back seat]) and will most likely be equipped with the glass cockpit mod that gives you a bunch of cool authentic looking instruments and panels. If not, at least the stock props like throttle and gyrocompass and stuff. I actually had this other texture made for the cockpit that had a bunch of ridiculously showy screens, panels and buttons I copied from the cockpit of the actual space shuttles, but I decided to not use that (it was way to glowy, literally, blue screens everywhere). And, what could those TV panels be for? Well, I guess you'll have to wait and see!

I'll try to provide progress updates as I go along, but may not be able to due to life and such.

Cockpit interior subject to change. I don't quite like how this one looks right now. Too spacious, needs to be more cramped.

Oh yes, and you know that giant orange fuel tank? It'll be able to fit into the cargo bay and be carried to orbit. Up, up and away!

Coming SoonTM

I'm currently working on the X-33/VentureStar (if you so much as mention the starship Venture Star from Jame's Cameron's Avatar, I will hunt you down and torture you to death so help me FSM... :mad:).

It's a SSO designed replace the Space Shuttle and runs on liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. Unmanned cargo vehicle up can carry up to 7 astronauts as passengers. (However, this one will have a crew capacity of 4 (ok, actually 3 now) and integrated passenger area (nope, not happening any more, kinda unbalanced) in addition to the cargo bay). The textures for this are mostly complete, just remaking the model.

Swordfish form Cowboy Bebop, I actually finished this in KSP 0.19. But exporting to Unity and then importing to KSP screwed up the models somehow, I think it was because I was on Unity 3.x when I tried...anyways, will retry.

Edited by CoffeeSE

i HATE when people use the term "soon" and mean from now to the end of time. because honestly, i know its against forum rules to ask repeatedly for release dates, (or is it?) but thats just to vague.

I love when people use the term "soon" because it indicates they are making a commitment to do something. Unless you're a corporate entity with limitless resources, advertising a future date for a project completion is usually foolish. Unless you have a TARDIS, it's never going to end well. Patience is a virtue, and the future is always unpredictable.

Outstanding! Finally someone is doing a REAL VentureStar! :D Not that I have a problem with 'Avatar' or the ship in the movie, I just think they should have picked a more original name, like 'Enterprise' or something. ;P

But yeah, my Dad worked for Martin Marietta/Lockheed Martin, and I remember the excitement when the X-33 was under development. It's too bad they were never able to get the composite fuel tank technology to work. I wonder if, now that materials-science has had 10 years or so to progress, maybe this concept could actually be built. Eh, anyway, since KSP is here, we can get anything to fly. :)

So, CoffeeSE, looking forward to the X-33, and the airplane parts look fantastic. I can't DL right now because I'm already hard up against my memory limit with all the mods I have as it is, and I'm focusing on interplanetary exploration. But when the VentureStar is released, I'll DEFINITELY make room! :D

Later!

Also, those parts look awesome! What program did you make them in?

Thanks! I made them in Newtek Lightwave 3D (student version). It's an older program, more meant for animations in movies and TV. I use it because I like its separated modelling and animation programs.

[Whispered] ISV...Venture...Star...From avatar....

:P

You should check out Mihara's Raster Prop Monitor for your IVA instrumentation. I don't think its quite drag and drop, but the next best thing for a working MFD/PFD.

Oh thanks! I didn't realize there were more advanced IVA tools available then what Squad had, the cameras and stuff looks really useful. I'm gonna look into integrating it into my next project.

Edited by CoffeeSE

Um... Is it just me, or are these planes REALLY unstable?

Have you tried flying any of the pre-built planes I've included? A tip for building a stable plane is to have the centre of mass slightly forward of the centre of lift, so it's nose heavy. A tail heavy plane is almost never aerodynamically stable. Also, how you arrange the engines and centre of thrust will also have a huge impact on stability. You can easily adjust the centre of mass/lift with the trim parts in the pack. If that doesn't work, tell me what the exact problem is and I'll look into it. Hope this helps! :)

Edit: Oh yes, almost forgot, I fly them with ASAS on to compensate for the nose heaviness, or else they just slowly pitch forwards and nosedive.

Thank you for updating your part set. I've missed them so…

But there seems to be a bug with one or more of the parts causing the program to hang during startup loading. I'll try to identify the one and get back to you.

I don't see others reporting the problem, but I'm on a Mac, so maybe that's a factor.

The last part that shows in the load bar when KSP and my whole system hangs is "…planeWingHori/model001".

Somehow I did get KSP to launch once with this mod installed, but it went kind of crazy. Text became distorted, and the textures looked scrambled and possibly mixed with B9 patterns:

http://yfrog.com/nssru1p

The last part that shows in the load bar when KSP and my whole system hangs is "…planeWingHori/model001".

Somehow I did get KSP to launch once with this mod installed, but it went kind of crazy. Text became distorted, and the textures looked scrambled and possibly mixed with B9 patterns:

http://yfrog.com/nssru1p

Holy balls. Thats quite the problem. I'm not sure what causes that as I don't own a Mac, maybe I should try installing Hackintosh on my PC...anyways, the problem may be the 3D modelling program I used to make the models and UV wrap them. Exporting from that into Unity 3D may be what messed it up. I'll look into it but it's exam time so I won't be free until after new years. I'll try modelling it in another program and send you the parts to test? Is that ok? Thanks for telling me of this problem (sorry again)! :)

EDIT: Wait, wait, nevermind about what I said above, the problem might be because I've been exporting the models from Unity 3D using the old KSP parts exporter (Version 0.18), instead of the current Version 0.20. This means I'll have to re-export all the parts from Unity, again, I'll do this after new years. *facepalm, I'm an idiot*

Those parts aren't airliner parts... unless airline companies have begun adding thermal protective tiles to the underbellies of their planes :)

"Anti-roasting-Kerbals-in-cabin-alive-paintTM" To prevent lawsuits and the like, ya know? :P

How do the wings work with FAR? :)

Hmmm...I'm not sure, I'll go check out FAR (and probably deadly re-entry) and see if I can make it compatible. But, that's for after the new years (exams and going home for holidays and all).

Edited by CoffeeSE