[1.2.0] Toolbar 1.7.13 - Common API for draggable/resizable buttons toolbar

blizzy78

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I certainly didn't intend to. I just don't understand all the fuss about a single mouse click :)

For those who have edited that version.txt file without success, look for a (few) invisible character(s) just after "0.25.0", maybe using the left/right arrow keys. Just delete them, and you should be good.

Use a proper text editor. No, Microsoft Notepad is not a proper text editor.

Edited by blizzy78

PR is merged since just a few seconds ago....

I believe it is not showing up for LiquidSnow because the metadata is still marked as "0.25"... Although it works fine for me in my .90 game :)

I had the toolbar in the VAB and I clicked it to set the icons that would show. A little "+" symbol looking thing showed up that looked - to me - like the 4 corners of the gui border but in opposite quadrants diagonally (Lower left and upper right swapped, and upper right and lower left swapped). I clicked a single button in the KSP gui and it responded (become clicked) but did nothing, and then I could not click on anything. I had to alt-f4 out.

I alt-F4'd to close KSP and reloaded it, and then tried again with the same result.

EDIT:

I found out what caused it. I downloaded RCS Build Aid but didn't install it :oops: so there were no available mods for the toolbar. A more graceful error condition would be welcomed in this case, however :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

Hey, uuuhhh, is there gonna be a 0.90 update for this, or is this fine with the 0.25 version? Hooligan Labs airships don't work, and apparently its because of some incompatibilities that stemmed from the latest update. Any indication would be great!

did you use a proper text editor like notepad++ because i did mine and havent had an issue

Using regular MS Notepad, my version.txt file looks like this: 0.24.0,0.24.1,0.24.2,0.25.0,0.90.0

For those who have edited that version.txt file without success, look for a (few) invisible character(s) just after "0.25.0", maybe using the left/right arrow keys. Just delete them, and you should be good. Hope that helps.

When I copied and pasted it to my preferred editor, gVIM, it appears on two lines:

No wonder there was a problem. Ugh!!!!!

So, I corrected it (in gVIM) and it's golden).

Just click it away then? I wonder how many times you people start KSP in the course of a day.
Sorry if I sounded harsh, I certainly didn't intend to. I just don't understand all the fuss about a single mouse click.
Your hostile attitude is completely uncalled for. If there's a problem (or, in this case, a simple annoyance), and it can be fixed, as Kowgan showed us, then we're going to help each other. If you cannot contribute to the solution, then say nothing. Edited by Apollo13

Your hostile attitude is completely uncalled for. If there's a problem (or, in this case, a simple annoyance), and it can be fixed, as Kowgan showed us, then we're going to help each other. If you cannot contribute to the solution, then say nothing.

Um, it's Blizzy's mod. It seems to me he's pretty much earned the right to say whatever he wants about. You don't have to respond if you don't like what he has to say.

Your hostile attitude is completely uncalled for.

I wonder what you have been reading into my posts.

Anyway, editing some file to get rid of a warning that has intentionally been put there is not a "solution." It's merely hiding potential problems.

Your hostile attitude is completely uncalled for. If there's a problem (or, in this case, a simple annoyance), and it can be fixed, as Kowgan showed us, then we're going to help each other. If you cannot contribute to the solution, then say nothing.

THIS is why Ive never published/shared any of the mods Ive made lol....what an ass....

Dont mind the haters Blizzy...haters gonna hate ya....

Looking forward to update.....sure cant go back to barless KSP =)

Wow, i dont think you can get any more condescending.

Um, it's Blizzy's mod. It seems to me he's pretty much earned the right to say whatever he wants about. You don't have to respond if you don't like what he has to say.

This!! a millions times over.

The mod author has control over his own work, anyone who has a problem with that needs to remember theses authors do this on their own time and with the added challenges of snide comments all do to what appears to be a lack of courtesy and patience!

take a step back and be reminded that you're not entitled to anything here. .. and thank you Blizzy's for all the hard work you've contributed.

Edited by PizzaMore

It is a matter of courtesy and decorum. Authorship of the mod does not grant license to rudeness.
I wonder what you have been reading into my posts.
the same as Kowgan (post #976) and MartGonzo(post#974).
Anyway, editing some file to get rid of a warning that has intentionally been put there is not a "solution." It's merely hiding potential problems.
Nobody is suggesting that the warning be eliminated (what re you reading into my post?); rather, eliminating an annoyance caused by a few extra characters in a text line.

Regardless, I appreciate your toolbar. I do wish Squad had incorporated it as stock into 0.90. I prefer your solution to their buttons in the upper right corner.

Edited by Apollo13

Hi Blizzy,

GREAT MOD by the way. Question. The toolbar mod doesn't show up until there is an applicable button to use in that scene. That's cool and totally makes sense. The catch, is if it doesn't show at all (not even the cute multi coloured blocks thing), how do I add a button (that would be relevant) in that scene?

I expect there is a way, I just don't see it.

Dave.

maybe you should look up the meaning of those words because you're not displaying either.
I've responded to you via PM, as your (and my previous statements) are off-topic from blizzy's intent in this thread, i.e., to discuss the mod. Edited by Apollo13

The toolbar mod doesn't show up until there is an applicable button to use in that scene. That's cool and totally makes sense. The catch, is if it doesn't show at all (not even the cute multi coloured blocks thing), how do I add a button (that would be relevant) in that scene?

You install a third-party plugin that adds buttons to that game scene. For example, MechJeb can add buttons to the VAB or flight scenes, and just then would you be able to make some of those buttons visible.

Or to put it another way: As long as you don't use any plugins besides the Toolbar plugin (or only plugins that don't use the Toolbar plugin to add buttons), you don't get to see any toolbars at all.

I wish there was a way for the community to vote for mods that we would like to see as stock. Yeah, we can create posts here saying this mod should be stock. We can PM some Squad members. But those don't have the weight of, for instance, a poll with a thousand votes.

Permit me to be judgmental here. Blizzy's Toolbar is a superior solution to Squad's icons in the upper-right corner.

I can configure it:

1) include the buttons I want;

2) exclude buttons I don't need. MJ has a billion buttons, I have three MJ's in my Toolbar: SMART A.S.S., Maneuver Node editor, Rendezvous Planner.

3) I can rearrange buttons to my liking

4) it's movable

5) it can be sized

6) it's been readily adopted by the modder community, not forced upon them.

None of the above can be said about the Squad solution. If you have many mods that add to the Squad-bar, they'll extend across the entire screen.

You install a third-party plugin that adds buttons to that game scene. For example, MechJeb can add buttons to the VAB or flight scenes, and just then would you be able to make some of those buttons visible.

Or to put it another way: As long as you don't use any plugins besides the Toolbar plugin (or only plugins that don't use the Toolbar plugin to add buttons), you don't get to see any toolbars at all.

Ok, let me pose this question a little differently. I have both Infernal Robotics and Action Groups Extended, both of which can add a button to your toolbar (but, by default they don't add a button, until you use the configure visible buttons option). When I originally went out to the launch pad (before I added any buttons to the toolbar), the toolbar showed up with that cute button with all the coloured boxes on it. I used the drop down button at the right end to add Infernal robotics. I went back to the VAB to make a change to my ship (to add a action group to agx). When I returned to the launchpad, the toolbar no longer showed up at all. There was no dropdown arrow to allow me to go in and configure the visible buttons. So I can't add AGX to your toolbar. I then went back to the vab, added an IR part to the ship. Went back to the vab, and the toolbar now appears (as IR has buttons it wanted to show)... Now there is a drop down button to allow me to configure the visuble buttons, so as to be able to add the AGX.

So, the catch is, once you've added buttons to the tool bar (via the dropdown that allows you to configure the visible buttons). If none of the buttons that you've added happens to be relevant at that point in time, the toolbar doesn't appear at all, and hence you can no longer click the dropdown to configure the visible buttons, so as to add something else to the toolbar. In the version that I had running on .25, if there were no buttons to show, the toolbar would display that original button with the multicoloured boxes in it. A place holder if you wish, so that the bar would be there.

I've responded to you via PM, as your (and my previous statements) are off-topic from blizzy's intent in this thread, i.e., to discuss the mod.

agreed and sent. also agree with your community vote idea/statements; the new toolbar is a step down from blizzy78 contribution.

So, the catch is, once you've added buttons to the tool bar (via the dropdown that allows you to configure the visible buttons). If none of the buttons that you've added happens to be relevant at that point in time, the toolbar doesn't appear at all, and hence you can no longer click the dropdown to configure the visible buttons, so as to add something else to the toolbar. In the version that I had running on .25, if there were no buttons to show, the toolbar would display that original button with the multicoloured boxes in it. A place holder if you wish, so that the bar would be there.

Not sure if I'm getting this right. The behaviour has not changed for quite some time now.

Even though you've configured some buttons to be visible, if those buttons haven't been added by the plugin responsible, the Toolbar plugin behaves just like if you hadn't configured those buttons. That is, if those are the only buttons, and the third-party plugin decides that in the current scene those buttons should not be available to you, then the toolbar will be completely hidden, because there is simply nothing to show.

Ok then, try this on. When you are in a scene with the toolbar showing. Go into the configure visible buttons option of the toolbar. Unselect all of the buttons that are configured to show (yah, not something you would normally do). The entire toolbar goes away. So, with the toolbar now not showing, you can't get back into the configure visible buttons popup in the toolbar to re-select the buttons that you do want to show.

A minor issue, but I just wanted to make the comment.