[1.2.0] Toolbar 1.7.13 - Common API for draggable/resizable buttons toolbar

blizzy78

A new year should begin with a new version! Toolbar Plugin 1.4.0 is now available for download, adding the ability to create custom button folders to improve organization. See the FAQ in the OP for detailed instructions.

Yay, Happy New Year! :D

Only one problem: I'm back to hating this mod. :mad:

Yeah, if you MAKE ME upgrade to the latest version, whether I want to or not, whether it causes problems in my game or not, it's getting uninstalled, like right now.

For anyone not having this problem, there's a 'New Version Available' icon that shows up EVERYWHERE IN GAME. Well, not the loading screen, but pretty much everywhere else. The title screen, where you select 'Start Game'? There it is. Same for the next screen where you choose your saved game. It's in the 'outdoor' screen. It's in both the VAB and the SPH. And in all of them, it's RIGHT IN THE FRAKKIN' MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN!! Here's the best part: I can't move it, and I can't make it go away.

So, dude, Blizzy, I was on board for a while, but no longer. Sorry man. :(

Okay, I'm upset, yes. I apologize for the angry and confrontational tone. Please consider this post an extremely passionate bug report? I'll keep up with this thread, of course, and if/when a new version comes out I'll try that one. I'd really rather just be able to revert to the previous version, 1.3, but like I said, even doing that that stupid icon gets in the way.

Anyway, I really do hope everyone has a great New Year. :)

Please consider this post an extremely passionate bug report?

You could simply have said: "I don't like the update notification button appearing in every scene. Is there anything that can be done about it?" No need to go all out here.

You could simply have said: "I don't like the update notification button appearing in every scene. Is there anything that can be done about it?" No need to go all out here.

Yes, you're right. And I've already apologized, in the original post. So then, to wit:

I don't like the notification button appearing in every scene, nor do I like the fact that it cannot be moved, or that there is no option to 'opt-out' of update notifications altogether. Is there anything that can be done about these things? I hope so, because until there is, I am unfortunately not able to use this plugin.

Thank you for your time.

I've made it so that displaying the update notification button can be hidden permanently starting with the next version. To hide it, edit the GameData\toolbar-settings.dat file and add "showUpdateNotification = False" like so:

toolbars {
showUpdateNotification = False
}

I've made it so that displaying the update notification button can be hidden permanently starting with the next version. To hide it, edit the GameData\toolbar-settings.dat file and add "showUpdateNotification = False" like so:

toolbars {
}

Ah, okay, thank you sir. Eek, I'm assuming 'sir', anyway.

I'll re-install and bring CrewManifest back current after my game crashes again, probably in a couple of hours. :)

Again, my apologies for going off half-cocked.

Btw, not implying that the crashing is because of Toolbar. It's because I have too many mods & parts installed, lol. And yes, I'm already using texture compression.

Anyway, thanks again, Bliz. ;)

toolbars {
}

Ooh, does it make it also not check for the update as well?

I was having a um, dispute with my internet service provider recently and they got all obnoxious with redirecting every TCP port 80 request to one of their own servers (rather brokenly I might add), and all the stuff checking for updates was making KSP rather um, pokey.

(I was being counter-obnoxious to the ISP as well by using one of my remote machines as a proxy, but KSP didn't pick up those settings..)

I think it was mostly KER causing the long timeouts, but I'd love to be able to disable auto-update-checks on any and all mods I use.

I think I can make it not do it.

But to be honest, I think you should change your ISP.

I would, but they're actually the best in the region. Also outages aren't uncommon up here in the frozen wastes of Toronto; this won't be the last time my net is out for more than a day. Heck, the second-best guys were down for pretty much all of Christmas week in my neighborhood, starting from an ice storm on the weekend of the 21/22nd.

oh, also enki's image applies here too, FYI.

Anyhow, I generally like to do manual update checking as a general policy. It avoids strange lag, disk activity or network activity during sensitive maneuvers, ISP disputes, or massive ice storms/etc. I would be totally cool with a 'check for updates' button on that little dropdown arrow though. I'm also totally cool with editing config files to say like auto_update=no and such. Just so long as there's options to turn it off, I'm cool.

Other than these issues though, I'm quite happy with the toolbar. It's handy-dandy and keeps all of those mod buttons under control hehe.

Disclaimer/Disclosure: I am an employee of the second-best guys.

toolbars {
}

Please note that "showUpdateNotification" has been renamed to "checkForUpdates", and will be available starting with release 1.4.1.

Could you -please, i beg you- remove the obligation to update when an update comes out?

I don't know why it's here (that little icon overriding and replacing everything else), but when i launch KSP, i want to play KSP.

Having to lose 2x5 minutes of loading on a slow machine just because a modder decided it's skin update is mandatory is... annoying.

It's a bit like a popup, but worse. Popups doens't take me to reload 3.5GB of memory. Your plugin does.

A discard button. A "I will update later". An auto-update if so you wish. But no "Update AND reboot, or just reboot, or play without plugins" choices.

Please. Pretty please.

It looks like the resize/move cursor textures and the triangle menu button texture got corrupted somehow. I've been having problems in the past with the cursor textures myself and couldn't find a way to fix it for everyone.

So it isn't getting fixed? I know Navyfish had that problem with his mod when playing at lower res and managed to fix it.

Another question: Could you possibly make your download so that we can extract to the GameData folder directly? The way it currently is I have to extract somewhere else, then take the GameData folder to it's desired location

I will look into the cursor texture issue again eventually.

As for the download folder structure, I'd like it to stay that way. I don't know what operating system you are on, or what programs you use, but at least with Windows Explorer you can step into a ZIP file and extract only part of it anywhere down in the folder structure, without extracting the whole ZIP file first.

You are correct, now I feel stupid :P but that way I think I can't deselect for example the source zip inside the folder without extracting first, but that's not a problem with this mod

Could you -please, i beg you- remove the obligation to update when an update comes out?

I don't know why it's here (that little icon overriding and replacing everything else), but when i launch KSP, i want to play KSP.

Having to lose 2x5 minutes of loading on a slow machine just because a modder decided it's skin update is mandatory is... annoying.

It's a bit like a popup, but worse. Popups doens't take me to reload 3.5GB of memory. Your plugin does.

A discard button. A "I will update later". An auto-update if so you wish. But no "Update AND reboot, or just reboot, or play without plugins" choices.

Please. Pretty please.

Um, did you read the last page? Also, I'm not sure why you feel "obligated" to update. It's not that an additional button forces you to do anything.

i know what he's talking about, and you COULD.

try running the game without updating.

Blizzy78,

I too was annoyed by the extra blank button that opened a browser page for this plugin when clicked when an update was available. I follow the threads of the mods I use and will update when and as I need and want to. If there had been an easy way in game to disable the blank update button, I would have been ok with it. Or have it appear once on the initial menu screen then not appear when actually playing a save. I would end up loading KSP, seeing Toolbar needed to be updated, quit KSP, update Toolbar, then reload KSP just so I couldn't accidentally hit the blank update button and have my browser open when trying to play KSP. Updating was not required by any means by the plugin, but I felt like it would annoy me to the point where I had to update to remove the annoyance. I usually look forward to mod updates and have fun downloading and installing new versions. With Toolbar it's been an annoyance and a source of small frustration when loading up KSP to see Toolbar had an update available.

It's a neat feature, and I'm sure it's helped people keep their Toolbar plugin updated more or faster than they might normally update, but it's just not a feature for me. I greatly appreciate the newly added option via config to turn update button off. Thank you. :)

I will end my post by thanking you again for making a very nifty plugin. I like having all my mod buttons all nice and tidy and neat and movable all at once. For someone without a lot of spare UI space, Toolbar is a nice addition. I'm glad more and more mods are taking advantage of it. Keep up the good work!

So, I was just thinking - The toolbar automatically checks if there's a more up-to-date version available. Perhaps this functionality could be expanded upon for plugins that use the toolbar, so that when they're updated, the toolbar will ping right at startup as well?