Novasilisko's planets

AHO

Hey Nova, if you were to put the new solar system in an extremly slow orbit (so that i almost doesn't seem to be moving) of the current one, would that be a solution to the save file problem?

That sounds like a reasonable solution, especially since the farther from the sun something is, the lower the orbital velocity.

That sounds like a reasonable solution, especially since the farther from the sun something is, the lower the orbital velocity.

Remember that if it is another solar system it would have its own sun, not using Kerbol as its sun. I think......

Having a full PQS ocean there, though, would be pretty inefficient for such a small area. I wonder if a simple plane (flat surface, not boeing) could be put at the water's level, as opposed to having a dynamic mesh for it?

That's really not a bad idea for an easter egg :)

A single plane for a single small body of water seems like a good idea, but would multiple planes (for multiple bodies of water) be better or worse than a seperate planet like there is on Eve/Kerbin/Laythe? Unless there is an easy way to implement a plane without adding another planet/body, that doesn't seem more efficient.

Can have big jagged cracks in the ice revealing a small amount of water at the bottom.

As long as we can jump those canyons in our rovers, that sounds like fun. Seriously, just imagine trying to do precision jumps on a lower-gravity moon, with failure resulting into you falling into the water. The thing is, the physics just doesn't work; if you're going to have any liquid exposed to the surface, you need to add a fairly thick atmosphere. If Eeloo is supposed to retain anything close to its current appearance, that just doesn't fit. Without a thick atmosphere, any exposed liquid would just boil off the top of the atmosphere or freeze solid.

So, I'd suggest reserving that sort of idea for a different planet. If you go back to my earlier 4-moon suggestion, the Titan-like planet (very thick atmosphere) would work just fine for that sort of thing; that sort of environment could definitely justify surface liquid. Your 4g Tylo could do it as well, but I don't think stunt jumps over ravines would work as well there. You could still make Eeloo's canyons a bit more severe, but the water part just wouldn't work.

Can't do multiple levels of water, I don't think. Just how the planets are set up - it's either ocean, or no ocean, and the ocean occupies 0 meters and below.

The problem with extra solar systems existing in the same "universe" is the sun. It would need to be reverse engineered and reworked so it could have an arbitrary number of light sources, as opposed to just one... That being said, I don't think there's any reason you can't just have a celestial body "stuck" in space. The sun is, and as long as this other body is suitably far away, its sphere of influence would exist in the same way any other planet's would. Of course, I could be totally wrong due to some quirk in the code, and it requires an orbit driver to actually function, but the only way to find out is through experimentation.

Speaking of, I need to, at some point in this mod, make the sun get dimmer the farther away you get, and brighter the closer you are. Within reason, of course - it can be assumed there's some automatic exposure correction so it's not pitch black out past eeloo and solid white near the sun.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Speaking of, I need to, at some point in this mod, make the sun get dimmer the farther away you get, and brighter the closer you are. Within reason, of course - it can be assumed there's some automatic exposure correction so it's not pitch black out past eeloo and solid white near the sun.

I like that idea. Even KSP itself could use some of these "polishings"

I think he means making it somewhat of a binary system as if sun 2 was a planet of kerbol and the planets of sun 2 were it's moons and the planets of sun 2's moons being moons of moons.

That's what the Planet Factory mod already does, with the second star it added recently. The only mechanical headache it has, from what I can tell, is that the second sun doesn't affect solar panels at all, which is pretty crippling at that distance from Kerbin's Sun. In terms of the astrophysics, this sort of orbit is actually closer to reality than you'd get by making the second star a fixed object in space. Binary stars orbit a common barycenter, so all of the issues of relative rotational velocity should still apply when transferring from one to the other. Of course, the distance between the two stars should be many times the distance to the outermost planets of each individual star (although planets COULD orbit the barycenter, going around both stars), and that's something that might not work well for KSP.

Small update (I've kinda hijacked this thread, haven't I?), Winston's painting a new duna color map while I've made a heightmap for it. Need to figure out how to change up the surface textures since the current ones are sort of bleh. Also working on some other visual stuff that hopefully I can get working without burning anything.

Also have a picture of some canyons on Tylo, ~15-20 km deep I think

TzE4tQH.jpg

Although, I need to hurry up and get this finished, getting a bit demotivated seeing a bunch of stuff starting to get made with PlanetFactory, while I'm sitting here making all this from scratch...

Can't say I know what will become of the concepts I had in mind for KSP's future. Those were just what I would have most liked to do, so I doubt they'll come to fruition in any official form now.

But it's funny you mention this now, because I've been working on a mod that messes with the existing solar system to totally shift and alter it into something new: http://imgur.com/a/TqP8M

Reddit comment explaining all the changes: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1s5bos/mod_ive_been_working_on_for_a_couple_days/cdu1uky

And yes, I've given up my fight against the name "Kerbol". I invented it ages ago so I guess it's about time embraced it :P

But what if someone installs that mod and they have, say, ships alterady on Mun, Minmus and Duna(like me)?

But it was clever for you to make Kerbin a moon of Jool. And I like how Minmus now seems to represent Metis. The view from it's surface must be quite something(and scary).

Can't say I know what will become of the concepts I had in mind for KSP's future. Those were just what I would have most liked to do, so I doubt they'll come to fruition in any official form now.

But it's funny you mention this now, because I've been working on a mod that messes with the existing solar system to totally shift and alter it into something new: http://imgur.com/a/TqP8M

Reddit comment explaining all the changes: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1s5bos/mod_ive_been_working_on_for_a_couple_days/cdu1uky

And yes, I've given up my fight against the name "Kerbol". I invented it ages ago so I guess it's about time embraced it :P

I'm looking at Tylo, and the thought which first hits me as hard as a lithobrake on the surface of Eve is "Why wasn't this Tylo design ever used?!"

##snip##

Although, I need to hurry up and get this finished, getting a bit demotivated seeing a bunch of stuff starting to get made with PlanetFactory, while I'm sitting here making all this from scratch...

Nova, I admire your work, all of your work greatly. You have skill that I would gladly sell my neighbor's soul to possess just a tenth of your talent. (Hey, if I sell mine, how will I create?) All kidding aside, each modder, each artist contributes to this marvelous tapestry. Do not become demoralized or demotivated because another artist creates your subject too. Instead rejoice in knowing that only you and you alone can bring to life what you see in your mind's eye. Thank you for doing that, for sharing your creativity with us. It is appreciated.

What have you done to poor little Minmus? :P

I think I prefer the original system. Except for Tylo, the current one is pretty ordinary, and that version looks like there would be some interesting sites to go poke about.

Considering making a test version, but the source is extremely messy and unorganized and hacky and needs a good power washing. But most of the functionality is far from done, so I have a dilemma - release an early test version with awful broken code that people can then, ill-advisedly, use to make stuff of their own and spread the PLAGUE OF INEFFICIENCY AND UNTIDINESS on the world, or stay and tidy it for a while despite it not actually being done. Or, I suppose, release an early off-forum version with no source included. OR a license for an unfinished one on the forums that says "you can look at the code but not use it, not yet". I dunno...

Considering making a test version, but the source is extremely messy and unorganized and hacky and needs a good power washing. But most of the functionality is far from done, so I have a dilemma - release an early test version with awful broken code that people can then, ill-advisedly, use to make stuff of their own and spread the PLAGUE OF INEFFICIENCY AND UNTIDINESS on the world, or stay and tidy it for a while despite it not actually being done. Or, I suppose, release an early off-forum version with no source included. OR a license for an unfinished one on the forums that says "you can look at the code but not use it, not yet". I dunno...

I think you should upload it then everyone will be happy :P. But on a more serious note maybe you should upload a test version and tell people to not use the code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.