Optional MechJeb Modules for FAR, NEAR & km_Gimbal 2/3 (July 16)

sarbian

is this .24 compatible?

Well, there's two modules here. The first one is for support for Blizzy's Toolbar, which is now integrated into the standard MechJeb release anyway, so that one's irrelevant. The other module is the basic FAR support plugin, which was described in previous posts in this thread as being broken in the previous version, and it hasn't been updated since then, so I seriously doubt the switch from 0.23.5 to 0.24 has fixed it.

So, in short, one is unnecessary and the other was broken even before 0.24.

In even shorter form: No.

Well, there's two modules here. The first one is for support for Blizzy's Toolbar, which is now integrated into the standard MechJeb release anyway, so that one's irrelevant. The other module is the basic FAR support plugin, which was described in previous posts in this thread as being broken in the previous version, and it hasn't been updated since then, so I seriously doubt the switch from 0.23.5 to 0.24 has fixed it.

So, in short, one is unnecessary and the other was broken even before 0.24.

In even shorter form: No.

Got annoyed at this myself and wrote a patch / submitted pull request on the official repo. DLL compiled with the changes available at dropbox.

Got annoyed at this myself and wrote a patch / submitted pull request on the official repo. DLL compiled with the changes available at dropbox.

This is certainly very useful, and personally I want to thank you for the patch.

Anyway, I am taking the liberty of providing a link to YOUR source code on Github, as to find it may require a bit of an effort; all the while the rule stands, any plugin published on Squad services must be accompanied by source code. Derivative works are no exception.

Also, please let me suggest it would be best if you could upload a zip with the whole folder directory (/GameData/MechJeb2/Plugins/MechJebFARExt.dll) just like the original: makes installing all the easier for the casual user.

And, would be great if in the zip you may include a short doco stating the license (has to be the same that Sarbian used, GNU GPL 3.0) and a clear statement about the original author and work it is derived from.

I have recompiled using ragzilla's source for the latest FAR 14.1.1 and ksp 24.2. DLL is uploaded to dropbox.

Does the MechJebFarEXT.dll just drop straight into \GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins, or should I rename it and replace the existing MechJeb2.dll?

Furthermore, what exactly does the plugin do with regards to MechJeb2 and FAR compatibility?

I have recompiled using ragzilla's source for the latest FAR 14.1.1 and ksp 24.2. DLL is uploaded to dropbox.
Thanks for writing the patch. I ll merge this tonight and update the post.

Does this new rebuild also work with NEAR? Or is it a FAR-only fix?

Does this new rebuild also work with NEAR? Or is it a FAR-only fix?

From what I understand, since it was just a recompiled version of ragzilla's source, it will only work with FAR 14.1.1 (perhaps newer versions too?)

Regarding the reworked DLL for FAR 14.1.1, according to the first post, it will

Basic support for FAR inside MJ. For now it only adds surface control info inside MJ. The control should not wobble as much.

Current version can change the flight model slightly on some design.

I assume this essentially means that ascent and landing guidances still require the 'manual touch?'

Also, does the MechJebFarEXT.dll just drop straight into \GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins, or should I rename it and replace the existing MechJeb2.dll?

Regarding the reworked DLL for FAR 14.1.1, according to the first post, it will

I assume this essentially means that ascent and landing guidances still require the 'manual touch?'

Also, does the MechJebFarEXT.dll just drop straight into \GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins, or should I rename it and replace the existing MechJeb2.dll?

It goes in the MechJeb2\Plugins directory, yes.

Just to be clear, all I did was recompile the dll so it would stop throwing errors about missing FAR versions when using the latest FAR.

I uploaded a version that should works better with the current FAR.

I think the download link is not yet updated - the file is from July 29th and the problems persist.

I just tried out this FAR support with MechJeb 2.3.1.0 in KSP 0.24.2 64-bit, and it seems like it's causing part failures due to "aerodynamic stresses" while in a vacuum. (stable 117km orbit above Kerbin)

I get this error in output_log.txt once for each part that falls off:

InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[Part].VerifyState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[Part].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And the usual message about a part failure due to aerodynamic stresses in the flight events. (Forgot to copy that one down)

Removing the FAR MJ2 plugin seems to eliminate the problem. I'm about to try with the current MJ dev build, but wanted to mention this.

Edit: Just tried with MJ 2.3.1.282-282 and encountered the same issue. Again, removing the MJ FAR plugin gets rid of the problem. Though saves where parts have already broken of are done for, of course. So now I'm mounting a rescue mission to rescue the rescue mission. :)

Edited by lewisd

Does this work now?

And does it also work with RO and RSS?

I get a lot of thruster gimballing on my ascents. Switching to stock SAS helps though. Is the FAR module involved in this?

• 3 weeks later...