Optional MechJeb Modules for FAR, NEAR & km_Gimbal 2/3 (July 16)

sarbian

Recompiled for current FAR / NEAR version.

I still did not have the time to automate it yet. Keep posting to remind me that I should (but wait after the 4th of Nov. because HOLYDAYS!)

It's been a while since FAR was updated, and this plugin does not seem to work. When will the new version come in?

Alternatively, is there any way to compile the plugin myself from inside Linux?

FAR & NEAR extension are updated. Thanks to timmers_uk for sending me a patch while I was away and making the whole process faster :)

Edited by sarbian

FAR & NEAR extension are updated. Thanks to timmers_uk for sending me a patch while and was away and making the whole process faster :)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sarbian again."

Bummer.

Hey sarbian :) Sorry to bother but I noticed something now as I found the new updated file and went to update it; with the previous version of MechJeb + NEAR patch I could actually go to MechJeb's Smart s.a.s. and use the buttons like Kill ROT and SURF (though using Kill ROT would always pull my nose up very very slowly, but hell it worked better than just using a normal s.a.s. D:), but now with this new version (updated today?) using the Kill ROT button and SURF acts as if I didn't have this patch installed at all D: I wonder if it's something I did or something went wrong with the updated file?

Hey sarbian :) Sorry to bother but I noticed something now as I found the new updated file and went to update it; with the previous version of MechJeb + NEAR patch I could actually go to MechJeb's Smart s.a.s. and use the buttons like Kill ROT and SURF (though using Kill ROT would always pull my nose up very very slowly, but hell it worked better than just using a normal s.a.s. D:), but now with this new version (updated today?) using the Kill ROT button and SURF acts as if I didn't have this patch installed at all D: I wonder if it's something I did or something went wrong with the updated file?

Please could you send your output.log file from the KSP_data directory, that way sarbian can look into it when he awakes.

Or if it's simple, I can

Timmers

Sure thing, sorry about that! I'm still new to heavily modding my game and still bad at the game altogether lol, though to counter-act those things I try to make sure I read the main posts and a few extra comments when downloading a mod :P

I'm using the latest dev build of MechJeb and the latest version of NEAR.

Here's the log file compressed in a .7zip archive:

Log File.

And here's a couple pictures of the plane in game while Kill ROT active (well, one with and one without, for whatever it's worth):

---------

jmtOzrU.jpg

---------

VrpOpV5.jpg

---------

What I did before grabbing the log file: Fire up the game, resume, go straight into the SPH, load my ship, launch, take off using regular SAS and then turned Kill ROT in flight. Flew for a while with it even after turning back around towards KSC, turned Kill ROT off and landed on the helipad atop the building at KSC. (Not entirely sure what all kind of information the data file will contain so I'm just trying to help as best I can :P).

To reiterate the issue; whenever using Smart S.A.S. the game acts as if I didn't have the patch on, a.k.a. the plane wobbles like crazy. This didn't happen with the previous version of this patch (I kept the backup). The patch in question being MechJeb + NEAR.

Edited by MonaBabii

Nov 6 : updated MechJebKMGimbalExt to fix a bug with some engines

goldenpeach : it makes MJ aware of the engine gimbaling provided by the "Space Shuttle Engines" gimbal. It is also used in B9.

Nov 6 : updated MechJebKMGimbalExt to fix a bug with some engines

goldenpeach : it makes MJ aware of the engine gimbaling provided by the "Space Shuttle Engines" gimbal. It is also used in B9.

So it mean that if I make a rocket with the center of thrust not point upward, mechjeb will take that in account?

Will it work with the plugin Sarbian made for the auto-gimbal mod?(the one that was auto-gimballing the engine so that the center of thrust was alway aligned with the center on mass)

no, it just means that MJ know how much torque a gimbaled engine give.

The AutoGimbal mod only works with the stock gimbal for now.

Gaalidas : with some engine you would end up with a reported TWR and thrsut lower than the reality (only in the info windows and not in the stage window). It would lead to more "aggressive" landings :wink:

Hey sarbian :) Any news on the issue I reported? Does it only happen to me? (have no idea how to read the log I posted). Not trying to rush you or anything, I'm in no rush, specially since the previous NEAR patch works just fine for me :) was just wondering if the post may have been lost in the previous page :P

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough, I also had MJ wobble the heck out of any plane in an atmosphere with the latest NEAR patch. I'm moving on to FAR, though, and expect about the same behavior from the FAR patch.

MJ tends to overcompensate continuously when steering, leading to oscillations that can become unrecoverable.