[1.2.x] Kerbal Crew Manifest v0.6.4.0 (Dec 30th 2016)

sarbian

Jeez, why do people hate this toolbar so much? It's one of the most elegant solutions to an irritating problem.

I think it's fantastic. The only think I don't like is the tiny button you have to click to be able to put the toolbar in "move" mode. It needs to be a little bigger, and not allow click-through when you miss it.

Thanks for picking up this mod. It really makes things easier not having to do an EVA each time I want to transfer crew members :)

For some reason, I'm not seeing the "Update Portraits" button anymore. IIRC, it was on the crew transfer window in .22, however now even after transferring crew I'm not seeing it. I have to switch back to the Space Center, then to the ship again in order to have the portraits update (trying to do an IVA view results in me being stuck in IVA view, unable to get out). I'm on .23 with the most recent mod update.

I removed the button since I could not duplicate the portraits bug in .23, but it seems you can :)

I'll look into it then

Please do! I was just looking for this myself. I have a small station and the two manned-modules are the Mk1 Lander Can and the Command Pod Mk1 - when my Kerbal is in the Lander Can his portait is there, but when I moved him to the Command Pod the portait completely disappears.

@ sarbian: I have a weird issue.

I use the tooolbar plugin and a lot mods with it, of course including Crew Manifest.

In flight mode, Crew Manifest shows a button with the toolbar, along with all buttons from other mods. However, with KSP 0.23, Crew Manifest is the one and only mod to make a second button, in a second toolbar (with just that button). Both buttons work, and no button for Crew Manifest is shown out of flight mode. Didn't happen with KSP 0.22.

You have a second Toolbar.dll somewhere in your installation. Check NavyFish's Docking Alignment Indicator :)

Bingo! Exactly on spot.

And i thought to be safe not having copied the 000_Toolbar folder from NavyFish mod, didn't check for another embedded dll by the same name.

Thanks a lot.

Not to be an itch, but I still haven't seen anyone give a direct, 'yes or no' answer to this question: Is Toolbar REQUIRED for Crew Manifest to work?

I still would like a definitive answer to that, but I'm also going to go ahead and presume that the answer is 'yes', mainly because when I don't have Toolbar installed, I also have no Crew Manifest button available to me at all. Which sucks.

If I have to use it, I will, but again, I don't care for the Toolbar plugin, so there you go. Feedback from a somewhat dissatisfied user. Not about Crew Manifest itself, I think it's great, and absolutely essential to the game, I just don't understand why you would make your mod RELY on another one instead of making it optional, that's all.

Neutrinovore out. :)

Is Toolbar REQUIRED for Crew Manifest to work?

At this moment, yes. (I just checked the source code.)

I just don't understand why you would make your mod RELY on another one instead of making it optional, that's all.

The toolbar strives to achieve a few things:

1) It frees the third-party plugin author (the Crew Manifest author in this case) from the work of maintaining a GUI button. This is not as trivial as you might think, especially if the button can be moved around. Of course you are expecting it to stay there when you restart KSP? So the Toolbar Plugin removes all that from the work of the third-party plugin author. That's time better invested into new features rather than reinvent the wheel.

2) The Toolbar Plugin maintains a consistent look for all buttons added to it. Rather than have every third-party plugin create its own button with its own look and feel, some bigger, some smaller, some wide with only text - they now all look the same. This is the same thing you get with any decent GUI out there, for example Windows Explorer. Each button on their toolbar looks the same (aside from the icon, of course.) Same here - it's a consistent experience.

3) You as a player decide where buttons go on your screen. Don't like the position? Move the toolbar. Buttons should align in a single column or a two-row layout? Resize the toolbar. Don't want to see buttons all the time when you don't need them? Set the toolbar to auto-hide. It's your decision, not the plugin author's.

4) It brings all buttons under a common roof, a single toolbar in this case. This is a design decision I made. If you don't like it, just speak up. It can be changed.

Of course I'm biased here because I'm the author of the Toolbar Plugin. But personally, I see those points as a win-win for everyone involved, either plugin author and player.

At this moment, yes. (I just checked the source code.)

The toolbar strives to achieve a few things:

1) It frees the third-party plugin author (the Crew Manifest author in this case) from the work of maintaining a GUI button. This is not as trivial as you might think, especially if the button can be moved around. Of course you are expecting it to stay there when you restart KSP? So the Toolbar Plugin removes all that from the work of the third-party plugin author. That's time better invested into new features rather than reinvent the wheel.

2) The Toolbar Plugin maintains a consistent look for all buttons added to it. Rather than have every third-party plugin create its own button with its own look and feel, some bigger, some smaller, some wide with only text - they now all look the same. This is the same thing you get with any decent GUI out there, for example Windows Explorer. Each button on their toolbar looks the same (aside from the icon, of course.) Same here - it's a consistent experience.

3) You as a player decide where buttons go on your screen. Don't like the position? Move the toolbar. Buttons should align in a single column or a two-row layout? Resize the toolbar. Don't want to see buttons all the time when you don't need them? Set the toolbar to auto-hide. It's your decision, not the plugin author's.

4) It brings all buttons under a common roof, a single toolbar in this case. This is a design decision I made. If you don't like it, just speak up. It can be changed.

Of course I'm biased here because I'm the author of the Toolbar Plugin. But personally, I see those points as a win-win for everyone involved, either plugin author and player.

Eh, It's growing on me... slowly...

:)

I must confess, my initial objection to Toolbar was initially because I had installed it along with several other mods at the same time, and, well, I started to have problems, and for some reason I got it into my head that THIS mod was the root of all of those problems. No particular reason, really, and I have no idea why I got that idea. But, as it turned out, it was two OTHER mods not playing nice with each other, and not related to Toolbar at all. So, I consider it a learning experience, I'll try not to jump to conclusions the next time something like that happens. :)

Also, another reason was just simply inertia. I'm used to all the various interfaces and GUI's and whatnot of the various mods I use, and then here you come barging in and changing everything, who do you think you are?!? :huh: Lol. But, as time goes on, I'll probably begin integrating all of the mods that support Toolbar into the, well, the Toolbar, lol.

So, yeah, everything's cool now, as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :D

I have an interesting bug. I have TWO Toolbars. Once with just Crew Manifest and the other with Crew Manifest and the rest of my buttons. If I manually change their positions, they both end up perfectly overlapped next time I load Kerbal (although I cannot totally recall which toolbar they seem to prefer, I believe it's the one with all of the buttons). Both buttons seem to work correctly and in my brief glance at the config files for the toolbar and for Crew Manifest I cannot find anything that seems to hold a solution or problem.

Does anybody have a workaround? Should I post this in the Toolbar thread as well? Or do I just need to make a tiny change to an odd file and it'll be solved?

'

Plz make transfer windows close when clicking CM button on toolbar. For now main CM window closes and transfer stays open, so you have to close transfer first manually.

I second this! A minor annoyance, but still, don't know why it even had to change from the earlier versions which didn't do this. :)

I seem to be missing the crew manifest icon in the Space Centre scene, could this have something to do with the Toolbar plugin? The reason this is important is because all the Settings for Crew Manifest can only be reached in the Space Centre scene, so I can't enable Kerbal Permadeath for instance. Is anyone else having this problem?

@Sarbian,

given the important work you are doing with other mods, and that fact that I have become very familiar with crew manifest, would you like for me to take over support?

ShipManifest is a derivative work I've released, and I've incorporated some of the features being requested. I would be pleased to continue support and add the requested new features.

Your choice.

Thanks for the offer but I'll decline. It's true that I have been busy with other mods (and other mod related stuff you don't see on the forum) but I'll keep working on Crew Manifest.

I want to try some of the idea mentioned earlier in the thread and this mod allow me to take a break from all the math of MJ.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.