BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

As soon as I saw there was an update I had to try it out!

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/greenskullinc/FASAblackvisor2_zps865d3dc2.png

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/greenskullinc/kovietblackvisor_zps1ff613bb.png

Trying to release my first downloads next week!

I also agree with proot - one of the top ten mods!

Keep up the amazing work!

Oops, I forgot to flip one of the faces of environment map. You can see it in the visor of FASA kerbonaut.

Shaw if I use .tcfg settings for TR, visor transparency and visor reflections stops working. Even if specify false compression for the reflections... What I'm doing wrong?

config_enabled = true
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = TextureReplacer/Default/EVAjetpackNRM
texture = TextureReplacer/Default/EVAtextureNRM
texture = TextureReplacer/Default/kerbalHelmetNRM
texture = TextureReplacer/Default/kerbalMainNRM
texture = TextureReplacer/GenericKerbals/Blue/kerbalMainNRM
texture = TextureReplacer/GenericKermins/Orange/kerbalMainNRM
}
OVERRIDES
{
TextureReplacer/[^/]*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = true
}
TextureReplacer/EnvMap/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

I want your texture compression (sightly less harder than TM) for TR's textures, and the rest of texture handling (including mipmapping and managing normals) for TM... but dont' seem to work well.

Edited by Proot

No matter what I do I can't seem to get visor reflections to work :P I use a non-transparent file for the visor yet still nothing appears. The visor simply becomes a plastic looking piece that simply has the sun reflection and nothing else.

Any suggestions as to what I need to do?

It doesn't do it for me. There must be a mod or something you are both using that conflicts?

*EDIT* Doesn't work on my main beast KSP install. The only mod affecting textures across three installs I tried is texture compressor - so maybe a conflict here?

Edited by Green Skull

The problem with transparency/reflections is that KSP loads all PNGs as transparent (in DXT5 format). TR fixes this during mipmap generation; it checks if there are any transparent pixels in a texture. If not it's converted to RGB and then, during texture compression phase, to DXT1.

TextureCompressor probably doesn't support that trick, so all PNGs remain in DXT5 and TR thinks they are transparent. That could be fixed by converting visor texture to TGA (RGB) or JPG.

Edited by shaw

Well it seems this is the better and more supported texture mod for KSP, so I suppose I'm going to focus my next texture pack update for this mod.

^

Seeing as this is the more popular texture mod, I'm going to ask for help here now. I'm trying to modify a texture for the sky box in ksp, I got Raredens' high res one, but wanted to add some flair to it by adding a nebula. Thing is I want to kinda make it (a little) transparent around the edges so the stars blend better and get rid of ugly "cut offs". The nebula should probably be scaled up a bit more, so its' stars are the same size/density as the background texture. What I managed so far:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm using GIMP.

The problem with transparency/reflections is that KSP loads all PNGs as transparent (in DXT5 format). TC fixes this during mipmap generation; it checks if there are any transparent pixels in a texture. If not it's converted to RGB and then, during texture compression phase, to DXT1.

TextureCompressor probably doesn't support that trick, so all PNGs remain in DXT5 and TC thinks they are transparent. That could be fixed by converting visor texture to TGA (RGB) or JPG.

Converting reflective visor images to jpeg from png works! Good fix!

Okay. I didn't find any skyboxes that I liked, although Nick Cage attacking Nick Cage was interesting. So I made my own.

4096 TGAs with RLE compression. You can probably reduce them to 2048 with little noticeable loss of quality.

This skybox approximates what the naked eye can see when not adjusted for darkness (fewer visible stars). Made using Tycho super-hi-res image.

I used Paint.NET and resized the images to 2048 and saved - but when I try to use them the game crashes as it attempts to load into the main screen. This isn't a memory issue - I monitor my RAM/VAS usage and it was only around 3.1GB when loading into the main menu

There's 1.2 alpha available, if anyone wishes to test it.

The code has gone through some heavy refactorisation, so there may be some new bugs. But, the most importantly, one can specify a custom reflective shader for helmet visor. Now, I only need to write a reflective shader that would support transparency (or wait for anyone else to do it).

The code has gone through some heavy refactorisation, so there may be some new bugs. But, the most importantly, one can specify a custom reflective shader for helmet visor. Now, I only need to write a reflective shader that would support transparency (or wait for anyone else to do it).

That means is doesn't render against background? Can we use transparency visors under the the reflective?!

Shaw, dear God, you are my *#%& hero!

EDit: sadly I can't give you more rep yet! ;.;

If you can wait a while, I should be able to do it in a couple days. (Or give you guidance on how to modify the existing shaders if you would prefer :))

^

Seeing as this is the more popular texture mod, I'm going to ask for help here now. I'm trying to modify a texture for the sky box in ksp, I got Raredens' high res one, but wanted to add some flair to it by adding a nebula. Thing is I want to kinda make it (a little) transparent around the edges so the stars blend better and get rid of ugly "cut offs". The nebula should probably be scaled up a bit more, so its' stars are the same size/density as the background texture. What I managed so far:

http://imgur.com/a/wC1rt

I'm using GIMP.

Wau this looks amazing :0.0:

My top side of the skyboy reflection remains flipped in some way. :S <- WRONG :sealed:

EDIT: Excuse me, flipped side is EnvMap Positive Y. 1 horizontal mirroring + 1 vertical mirroring fix it.

128x128 optimized reflections, all curiously lightweight than my previous visor texture. Great work Shaw!

2JRebeY.jpg

Edited by Proot

There are a few transformations required for skybox if you want to use it as environmnet map for reflection:

Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveX // skybox right face
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeX // skybox left face
Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveY // skybox bottom face, rotated for 180°
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeY // skybox top face
Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveZ // skybox front face
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeZ // skybox back face

EnvMap/PositiveX // fake skybox right face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeX // fake skybox left face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/PositiveY // fake skybox top face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeY // fake skybox bottom face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/PositiveZ // fake skybox front face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeZ // fake skybox back face, vertically flipped

CORRECTION: skybox +y is rotated for 180°, not vertically flipped.

Edited by shaw

There are a few transformations required for skybox if you want to use it as environmnet map for reflection:

Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveX // skybox right face
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeX // skybox left face
Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveY // skybox bottom face, rotated for 180°
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeY // skybox top face
Default/GalaxyTex_PositiveZ // skybox front face
Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeZ // skybox back face

EnvMap/PositiveX // fake skybox right face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeX // fake skybox left face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/PositiveY // fake skybox top face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeY // fake skybox bottom face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/PositiveZ // fake skybox front face, vertically flipped
EnvMap/NegativeZ // fake skybox back face, vertically flipped

CORRECTION: skybox +y is rotated for 180°, not vertically flipped.

So in order to use a skybox as a EnvMap I need to switch positive/negative Ys, then vertically flip all except postive Y, which gets a 180° rotation?

EDIT: and of course scale down the texture to something more reasonable like 128x128 each

So in order to use a skybox as a EnvMap I need to switch positive/negative Ys, then vertically flip all except postive Y, which gets a 180° rotation?

EDIT: and of course scale down the texture to something more reasonable like 128x128 each

Or equivalent, but simpler: swap +y/-y, then flip +y horizontally and everything else vertically.

Wow, Proot, that is amazing! I wonder how they reflect such stars on that visor though o.O

It's a small photoshop trick: when resizing the image that you want to use in the visor reflection, try to use "nearest" resampling. That produce a much more "sharper" image, which maintains the main details in detriment of the image smoothing. (I hope I explained, lol)

That's not cool at all for photo edition, but is very cool and produce very optimized small images to use as fake reflections. :wink: