BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Also, as a quick note, I meant that atmosphere suit thing is broken as in I have it set to be off and it still acts as if it is on.

Could you try to reproduce that with minimal possible texture set and upload it?

I've been meaning to try this for a while, but I don't quite understand the set up process. There seems to be some sort of config file that I can use to set things up without needing multiple copies of each texture, but it's quite confusing. Could someone post an explanation? Preferably with pictures of what to do.

If one already exists, linking that would be great. Thanks!

I've been meaning to try this for a while, but I don't quite understand the set up process. There seems to be some sort of config file that I can use to set things up without needing multiple copies of each texture, but it's quite confusing. Could someone post an explanation? Preferably with pictures of what to do.

If you want an example, download KSPRC or Green Skull's packs and look how textures are set up there.

The basic idea is:

The @Default config is where you choose who has what head and suit, what suits can only be assigned to kerbals you put them on, what heads are female only, what heads shouldn't be randomly used, toggle eva visor [fake] reflections, so-on-and-so-forth.

The Default folder has...all the default stuff. Without a selected head/suit/evasuit/jetpack/etc. it will use what files are in the Default folder. The Default folder is also where you put any custom planet textures.

Envmap is the skybox, nuff said there.

Heads is where you place your head textures and normal maps. [if you don't have a normal map, the game will use the one from the default folder.]

Suits is where you put subfolders [Example: Suit1, Suit2, Suit3] with the selected suit items you want. If you put in custom ones, for custom select suits, make sure you have a normal map to go along with any of the items you put in there. [Example: You'll need a jetpack normal map [NRM] for a custom jetpack texture]

As for plugins, I got no idea.

That's the basics of it, hope I helped!

The basic idea is:

-snip-

That's the basics of it, hope I helped!

Thank you, seems to be working.

3PCY8uH.png

However, I am having some trouble getting some kerbals to change faces. The guy shown is now back to normal, but other kerbals are refusing to change. Is there something I can reset to make them change?

All the ones higher than 8 are not appearing on the intended kerbal- they all use the default one.

They are also turning up in generic kerbals, though I put them in the exclude list.

I'm using this file:

TextureReplacer
{
// When to enable texture compression.
// Possible options: `always`, `never` and `auto`. Auto means it is enabled
// unless TextureCompressor mod is detected.
isCompressionEnabled = auto

// Generate mipmaps for PNGs and JPEGs in certain directories (specified in
// the next option) to a fix KSP bug that doesn't generate mipmaps for these
// images and makes them look ugly under high angles.
isMipmapGenEnabled = always

// List of substrings that trigger mipmap generation when found in the path of
// a texture that is missing mipmaps. These should cover all model textures
// but not UI icons. The strings are case-sensitive on all platforms!
mipmapDirSubstrings = /FX/ /Parts/ /Spaces/ TextureReplacer/ KAS/ Engineer/ FASA/ ASET/ FusTek/

// Replace helmet visor shader to support reflections (EVA only).

isVisorReflectionEnabled = true

// Reflection colour. Reflection is multiplied by this RGB colour before it is
// added to the visor colour.

visorReflectionColour = 1 1 1

// Spawn a Kerbal on EVA in his/her IVA suit without helmet and jetpack when
// in breathable atmosphere (oxygen + sufficent pressure).

isAtmSuitEnabled = true

// Minimum air pressure required for a Kerbal to spawn in his/her IVA suit.

atmSuitPressure = 0.5

CustomKerbals
{
// Custom heads and suits for specific Kerbals. Entries are of the form:
//
// Name = headTex [suitDir]
//
// where `headTex` is an image (without extension) inside `Heads/` and
// `suitDir` is a subdirectory inside `Suits/` containing textures for a
// suit. `DEFAULT` keeps the default head/suit textures from `Default/` and
// `GENERIC` assigns a generic head/suit using the same rules as for the
// generic Kerbals. If `suitDir` is missing then `GENERIC` is assumed.
//
// Examples:
//
// Huey Kerman = head1 Suit1
// Dewey Kerman = head2 DEFAULT
// Louie Kerman = head3
// Donald Kerman = DEFAULT DEFAULT
// Daisy Kerman = DEFAULT
// Scrooge Kerman = GENERIC Suit2

Watsan Kerman = Head0 Suit1
Milly Kerman = Head3 Suit3
Joefel Kerman = Head11 GENERIC
Bill Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Jebediah Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Bob Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Dontop Kerman = Head0 DEFAULT
Danemone Kerman = Head12 GENERIC
Bartrie Kerman = Head10 DEFAULT
}

GenericKerbals
{
// Prevent the following heads from being assigned to generic Kerbals.
// The list must be space- and/or comma-separated.

excludedHeads = Head9, Head10, Head11, Head12

// Prevent the following suits from being assigned to generic Kerbals.

excludedSuits = Suit1, Suit2

// Female heads. Those will only be paired with female suits.

femaleHeads =

// Female suits. Those will only be paired with female heads.

femaleSuits =

// Eye-less heads. Eyes will be hidden for those heads, so one can paint
// custom ones on the head texture.

eyelessHeads =

// Whether generic suits should be assigned pseudo-randomly based on a
// Kerbal's name's hash or consecutively based on a Kerbal's position in
// the global roster.
// Possible options: `random` or `consecutive`.
suitAssignment = random
}

CabinSuits
{
// Cabin-specific suits. These are enforced even if a Kerbal has a custom
// suit. Entries are of the form:
//
// partName = suitDir
//
// where `partName` is the name of a part (`name = ...` in `part.cfg`) and
// `suitDir` is either a suit directory from `Suits/` or `DEFAULT`.
//
// Examples:
//
// Mark1Cockpit = PilotSuit
// crewCabin = DEFAULT
//
}
}

Have I done something wrong?

Edited by Tw1

The question likely has been asked a million times before, but I arrive here with 78 pages to read and "Search" did not yield any relevant results: what's the step-by-step procedure to recycle UniverseReplacer textures to make them work with TextureReplacer?

I currently have all my textures in UnvierseReplacer\Textures\Planets, and \Moons, \Skybox, and \Kerbals. Compiling the best texture packs I found was already a hassle, so I'd like to keep them all with TextureReplacer and then maybe add some new features like helmet reflexions and so on.

That looks mysteriously similar to my skybox

http://i.imgur.com/ztcLEfS.png

Mine is also the Andromeda Galaxy, but mine appears to have a higher resolution although I haven't seen the Milky Way in my skybox.:huh: Mine is in it's 4096 glory, I promise. :wink:

EDIT: DOWNLOAD HERE

Nice, and yeah they do look very similar. I suppose they would, being the same galaxy and all :P

Mine is 4096, too, it's just that the screenshot from my game makes it look less.

Ooh, I forgot to credit MeCripp for help fixing it in the previous post; I managed to work it out on my own, but he offered his assistance and provided it :)

I am trying to assign a special EVA suit to Jebediah Kerman, but I may be confused about how to do it. Could anyone help me?

Here is the EVA suit and helmet I'd like to use for Jeb, made by Sido:

1376420088-eesa.png

What I first did, thanks to the kind help of somebody on IRC, was to create a \TextureReplacer\CustomKerbals\Jebediah Kerman\ path, in which I put:

H4aorpR.jpg

It didn't work (Jeb was wearing white EVA suit and helmet when in orbit, and orange IVA suit when on Kerbin ground), so I tried that (and deleted \TextureReplacer\CustomKerbals\Jebediah Kerman\):

ryXUdTi.jpg

And edited @Default.cfg to "Jebediah Kerman = Head3 Suit4" in the CustomKerbals section. It didn't work either but there is some progress: on Kerbin ground, Jeb wears the right suit; in orbit, Jeb wears the right helmet, but still the white EVA suit. Any ideas? I'm not sure how to make it work.

By the way, I installed Renaissance Compilation to use some new celestial bodies' textures for TextureReplacer (I'll try to convert my Sido and Spacex34 UniverseReplacer packs later), and I get some strange glow around bodies deprived of atmosphere, like in the picture below. Is that normal, like some kind of sun particles bouncing on the bodies? Where does it come from?

Ohvoyi9.png

P.S.

Are TextureReplacer and PlanetFactory incompatible? Yesterday I was using UniverseReplacer and PlanetFactory (Sido's Urania system) quite well, and today, after replacing UR by TR, the game crashes just before the main menu appears. I had to remove PlanetFactory to make it work again.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Is there a way for the cabin suits to also work on EVA? I'm trying to make fighter pilot suits for the cockpits but I want the kerbals to have their special suits for rockets. The cabin suits work but just not on EVA because it switches back to the custom suits.

Also Korb Biakustra the glow is from EVE not texture replacer. The newest version fixes that.

I am trying to assign a special EVA suit to Jebediah Kerman, but I may be confused about how to do it. Could anyone help me?

Here is the EVA suit and helmet I'd like to use for Jeb, made by Sido:

What I first did, thanks to the kind help of somebody on IRC, was to create a \TextureReplacer\CustomKerbals\Jebediah Kerman\ path, in which I put:

It didn't work (Jeb was wearing white EVA suit and helmet when in orbit, and orange IVA suit when on Kerbin ground), so I tried that (and deleted \TextureReplacer\CustomKerbals\Jebediah Kerman\):

And edited @Default.cfg to "Jebediah Kerman = Head3 Suit4" in the CustomKerbals section. It didn't work either but there is some progress: on Kerbin ground, Jeb wears the right suit; in orbit, Jeb wears the right helmet, but still the white EVA suit. Any ideas? I'm not sure how to make it work.

By the way, I installed Renaissance Compilation to use some new celestial bodies' textures for TextureReplacer (I'll try to convert my Sido and Spacex34 UniverseReplacer packs later), and I get some strange glow around bodies deprived of atmosphere, like in the picture below. Is that normal, like some kind of sun particles bouncing on the bodies? Where does it come from?

P.S.

Are TextureReplacer and PlanetFactory incompatible? Yesterday I was using UniverseReplacer and PlanetFactory (Sido's Urania system) quite well, and today, after replacing UR by TR, the game crashes just before the main menu appears. I had to remove PlanetFactory to make it work again.

Renaissance thing: That's either distant objects mod glow being too strong, or you didn't update to the hotfix that came out on the 19th of April.

Getting the suit to work: You're going to need to have normal maps for any textures you put in. So putting in an eva texture, make sure it has an EVAtextureNRM to go along with it. The helmet too. Any jetpacks, helmets, suits, all need normal maps. Though the helmet only needs one normal map, you need a second texture for it, named EVAtexture. So basically, not including any custom visor colors, you need 9 files inside a suit directory.

Edit: Found your problem: You were making a custom kerbals folder. Don't do that. Instead, put the head textures in Heads and the suit textures in Suits/[Name of the suit you want]

Then go into the @Default config, underneath Custom Kerbals, change the name of the suit the select kerbal has to the name of the subfolder suit you want.

If you want to put it on a new kerbal, select the end of the last suit in the custom kerbal line, hit enter, then hit tab, type the name, hit space, add an = sign, then type the subfolder suit.

Edited by Dusty926

Thank you, seems to be working.

http://i.imgur.com/3PCY8uH.png

However, I am having some trouble getting some kerbals to change faces. The guy shown is now back to normal, but other kerbals are refusing to change. Is there something I can reset to make them change?

All the ones higher than 8 are not appearing on the intended kerbal- they all use the default one.

They are also turning up in generic kerbals, though I put them in the exclude list.

I'm using this file:

TextureReplacer
{
// When to enable texture compression.
isCompressionEnabled = auto

// Generate mipmaps for PNGs and JPEGs in certain directories (specified in
// the next option) to a fix KSP bug that doesn't generate mipmaps for these
// images and makes them look ugly under high angles.
isMipmapGenEnabled = always

// List of substrings that trigger mipmap generation when found in the path of
// a texture that is missing mipmaps. These should cover all model textures
// but not UI icons. The strings are case-sensitive on all platforms!
mipmapDirSubstrings = /FX/ /Parts/ /Spaces/ TextureReplacer/ KAS/ Engineer/ FASA/ ASET/ FusTek/

// Replace helmet visor shader to support reflections (EVA only).

isVisorReflectionEnabled = true

// Reflection colour. Reflection is multiplied by this RGB colour before it is
// added to the visor colour.

visorReflectionColour = 1 1 1

// Spawn a Kerbal on EVA in his/her IVA suit without helmet and jetpack when
// in breathable atmosphere (oxygen + sufficent pressure).

isAtmSuitEnabled = true

// Minimum air pressure required for a Kerbal to spawn in his/her IVA suit.

atmSuitPressure = 0.5

CustomKerbals
{
// Custom heads and suits for specific Kerbals. Entries are of the form:
//
// Name = headTex [suitDir]
//
// where `headTex` is an image (without extension) inside `Heads/` and
// `suitDir` is a subdirectory inside `Suits/` containing textures for a
// suit. `DEFAULT` keeps the default head/suit textures from `Default/` and
// `GENERIC` assigns a generic head/suit using the same rules as for the
// generic Kerbals. If `suitDir` is missing then `GENERIC` is assumed.
//
// Examples:
//
// Huey Kerman = head1 Suit1
// Dewey Kerman = head2 DEFAULT
// Louie Kerman = head3
// Donald Kerman = DEFAULT DEFAULT
// Daisy Kerman = DEFAULT
// Scrooge Kerman = GENERIC Suit2

Watsan Kerman = Head0 Suit1
Milly Kerman = Head3 Suit3
Joefel Kerman = Head11 GENERIC
Bill Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Jebediah Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Bob Kerman = Head0 Suit2
Dontop Kerman = Head0 DEFAULT
Danemone Kerman = Head12 GENERIC
Bartrie Kerman = Head10 DEFAULT
}

GenericKerbals
{
// Prevent the following heads from being assigned to generic Kerbals.

excludedHeads = Head9, Head10, Head11, Head12

// Prevent the following suits from being assigned to generic Kerbals.

excludedSuits = Suit1, Suit2

// Female heads. Those will only be paired with female suits.

femaleHeads =

// Female suits. Those will only be paired with female heads.

femaleSuits =

// Eye-less heads. Eyes will be hidden for those heads, so one can paint
// custom ones on the head texture.

eyelessHeads =

// Whether generic suits should be assigned pseudo-randomly based on a
// Kerbal's name's hash or consecutively based on a Kerbal's position in
// the global roster.
// Possible options: `random` or `consecutive`.
suitAssignment = random
}

CabinSuits
{
// Cabin-specific suits. These are enforced even if a Kerbal has a custom
// suit. Entries are of the form:
//
// partName = suitDir
//
// where `partName` is the name of a part (`name = ...` in `part.cfg`) and
// `suitDir` is either a suit directory from `Suits/` or `DEFAULT`.
//
// Examples:
//
// Mark1Cockpit = PilotSuit
// crewCabin = DEFAULT
//
}
}

Have I done something wrong?

Hmm, do you think you could post an image of your Heads directory?

If I see it directly I might be able to point out the problem.

Is there a way for the cabin suits to also work on EVA? I'm trying to make fighter pilot suits for the cockpits but I want the kerbals to have their special suits for rockets. The cabin suits work but just not on EVA because it switches back to the custom suits.

Also Korb Biakustra the glow is from EVE not texture replacer. The newest version fixes that.

It seems my EVE was not up to date, thanks!

Renaissance thing: That's either distant objects mod glow being too strong, or you didn't update to the hotfix that came out on the 19th of April.

Getting the suit to work: You're going to need to have normal maps for any textures you put in. So putting in an eva texture, make sure it has an EVAtextureNRM to go along with it. The helmet too. Any jetpacks, helmets, suits, all need normal maps. Though the helmet only needs one normal map, you need a second texture for it, named EVAtexture. So basically, not including any custom visor colors, you need 9 files inside a suit directory.

Edit: Found your problem: You were making a custom kerbals folder. Don't do that. Instead, put the head textures in Heads and the suit textures in Suits/[Name of the suit you want]

Then go into the @Default config, underneath Custom Kerbals, change the name of the suit the select kerbal has to the name of the subfolder suit you want.

If you want to put it on a new kerbal, select the end of the last suit in the custom kerbal line, hit enter, then hit tab, type the name, hit space, add an = sign, then type the subfolder suit.

Apparently it was caused by EVE being outdated, not Renaissance (which I downloaded today). I redownloaded it an re-overwrote EVE though, in case there were some EVE specific files in the artwork package.

As for the suits, I did as you described after your edition. I just tried both methods, but ended up using the one you described. Thing is the helmet shows up properly in space, but the suit and jetpack are the default white versions. By contrast, on Kerbin ground, the suit is the one I'd like to use in space (the jetpack doesn't show up of course when on Kerbin ground).

I'm not sure I understand the procedure with normal maps, nor where to get them. What should I add to my suit4 directory? [Edit] Think I got it, doing some tests right now. Well, got it working!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

It seems my EVE was not up to date, thanks!

Apparently it was caused by EVE being outdated, not Renaissance (which I downloaded today). I redownloaded it an re-overwrote EVE though, in case there were some EVE specific files in the artwork package.

As for the suits, I did as you described after your edition. I just tried both methods, but ended up using the one you described. Thing is the helmet shows up properly in space, but the suit and jetpack are the default white versions. By contrast, on Kerbin ground, the suit is the one I'd like to use in space (the jetpack doesn't show up of course when on Kerbin ground).

I'm not sure I understand the procedure with normal maps, nor where to get them. What should I add to my suit4 directory?

Thanks a lot for your help.

#1: The suit SHOULD come with normal maps, otherwise you can probably just copy and paste the one from the Default folder

#2: For a fully customized suit, including custom visors, you need the files:

EVAhelmet.png

EVAjetpack.png

EVAjetpackNRM.png

EVAtexture.png

EVAtextureNRM.png

EVAvisor.png [color of visor, not mandatory]

kerbalHelmetGrey.png

kerbalHelmetNRM.png

kerbalMainGrey.png

kerbalMainNRM.png

kerbalVisor.png [color of visor when you're inside a pod, not mandatory]

Edit: I think your problem came from me not being very clear: The suit needs an EVAtexture and EVAtextureNRM to work, and I think that MIGHT have been the problem before. Either way, try and make your suit directory as close to the one I posted above.

Edited by Dusty926

#1: The suit SHOULD come with normal maps, otherwise you can probably just copy and paste the one from the Default folder

#2: For a fully customized suit, including custom visors, you need the files:

EVAhelmet.png

EVAjetpack.png

EVAjetpackNRM.png

EVAtexture.png

EVAtextureNRM.png

EVAvisor.png [color of visor, not mandatory]

kerbalHelmetGrey.png

kerbalHelmetNRM.png

kerbalMainGrey.png

kerbalMainNRM.png

kerbalVisor.png [color of visor when you're inside a pod, not mandatory]

Edit: I think your problem came from me not being very clear: The suit needs an EVAtexture and EVAtextureNRM to work, and I think that MIGHT have been the problem before. Either way, try and make your suit directory as close to the one I posted above.

Yep, I edited my message yesterday to say I got it working. But perhaps you missed so, again, thanks for the help! :)

The helmet was confusing because for this suit, it didn't come with a normalmap. I've tried adding the normalmap of the white helmet, but it was screwing up things. Then I realized the blue helmet png file was done so that it doesn't need any normalmap, all information is in the same file. :)

Does anyone know about the compatibility with PlanetFactory (Sido's Urania system)? The game was working with both UniverseReplacer and PlanetFactory, then I replaced UR with TR, and got crashes before the main menu. I had to remove PlanetFactory to make it work. Yet, I think my installation of TR is less intensive than my previous installation of UR (many HD packs).

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Hmm, do you think you could post an image of your Heads directory?

If I see it directly I might be able to point out the problem.

It's like this:

Jet6R4i.png

There are folders named Head0 through to Head12.

In each of those folders, there is a file named Kerbalhead.

I'd also like to report an issue. I'm using ForceIVA, which gives you a first person EVA view. If use this however, the kerbal regains its helmet, when it should have it off.

It's like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Jet6R4i.png

There are folders named Head0 through to Head12.

In each of those folders, there is a file named Kerbalhead.

I'd also like to report an issue. I'm using ForceIVA, which gives you a first person EVA view. If use this however, the kerbal regains its helmet, when it should have it off.

1. You should have Head1.png, Head2.png etc. inside Heads/ directory, not every head in its own directory.

2. ForceIVA probably re-enables helmet. I'll look if I can make a workaround for this.

If those would work i´d be happy:

Pimp My Kerbals texture pack 1.1 (updated 23.1.2014).

Extension of Sylith's Kerbal heads pack (updated 22.1.2014).

Endraxiel's planet textures.

Oinker's skybox.

Hi guys, new on the formus and i pretty much joined because i cont really understand the readme from pimp my kerbals, wich file should one edit, where to go, etc, the default iva eva and visors are working great! yet i cant customize my kerbals nor activate this pseudo random assignation feature the pack was supposed to have. i am truly frustrated with reading and agree with evanstoned. i would like an idiot proof guide too myself.

It would be possible to check when they are replaced if I printed some messages to the log, which was the case in early versions of TR but removed later because log messages have significant impact on performance. Textures are replaced at the beginning of the first scene after they are used on some model, which is the main menu in most cases (KSP has almost everything loaded all the time). After I replace a texture I call a Unity function that _should_ unload the original one but I'm not sure if it works. If that texture is reset or used elsewhere after unloading it still works, maybe because Unity automatically re-loads it or maybe because the mentioned function has no effect at all.

Sorry for neco'ing this issue, but I did some testing and it looks like the original texture is not unloaded. I'd planned to use TextureReplacer as part of a scheme to eliminate duplicate textures -- replace the texture with a small png, reapply to the affected parts using model nodes. As a test I manually replaced a part's texture with an 8k 32-bit png and then used TextureReplacer to substitute a 4px png. The texture was replaced but KSP kept the original 8k texture in memory.

Logs -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/4329h9hp60pq64i/somnambulist-TRunloadtexture.zip

The question likely has been asked a million times before, but I arrive here with 78 pages to read and "Search" did not yield any relevant results: what's the step-by-step procedure to recycle UniverseReplacer textures to make them work with TextureReplacer?

I currently have all my textures in UnvierseReplacer\Textures\Planets, and \Moons, \Skybox, and \Kerbals. Compiling the best texture packs I found was already a hassle, so I'd like to keep them all with TextureReplacer and then maybe add some new features like helmet reflexions and so on.

You simply have to rename the texture images and move them TR's "Default" folder. There's a read me file that tells you what every planet (and other textures, plus their normal maps) should be named for them to work. I'll put the planets and moons in a code tag below.

Default/moho00 // Moho
Default/Eve2_00 // Eve
Default/evemoon100 // Gilly
Default/KerbinScaledSpace300 // Kerbin
Default/NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse // Mün
Default/NewMunSurfaceMap00 // Minmus
Default/Duna5_00 // Duna
Default/desertplanetmoon00 // Ike
Default/dwarfplanet100 // Dres
Default/gas1_clouds // Jool
Default/newoceanmoon00 // Laythe
Default/gp1icemoon00 // Vall
Default/rockyMoon00 // Tylo
Default/gp1minormoon100 // Bop
Default/gp1minormoon200 // Pol
Default/snowydwarfplanet00 // Eeloo

Nice, and yeah they do look very similar. I suppose they would, being the same galaxy and all :P

Mine is 4096, too, it's just that the screenshot from my game makes it look less.

Ooh, I forgot to credit MeCripp for help fixing it in the previous post; I managed to work it out on my own, but he offered his assistance and provided it :)

Personally I prefer Hammer's texture. ;)

1. You should have Head1.png, Head2.png etc. inside Heads/ directory, not every head in its own directory.

It now works. Kerbals have the heads desired. Thanks! Have some rep for creating and maintaining a very useful mod.

One last question, though. Is the way I had it with heads the way it's supposed to be for suits? I don't see a helmets folder, to put my custom helmets in.

Edited by Tw1