BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Is this used instead of Active Texture Management or with? Or something else?

It provides some functionality of ATM, but it's less sophisticated, configurable and saves less memory. However, it's out-of-the-box compatible with almost all mods without need for special configuration files as in ATM.

You can also use both TR and ATM at same time. In such case TR disables its texture compression, mipmap generation and texture unloading features and lets ATM handle it.

hey Shaw, this is probably more model-related then texture but when kerbals no longer have EVA helmets but you want to use a light, would it be possible to have a single point light from near their hand like a flashlight?

Not sure. Light is built into the model, but it might be possible nevertheless by manipulating some nodes.

Perhaps i'm being daft.. As the Force OPEN GL does not work for moe nor 64bit i though to use this is compress textures... is this automatic or do i have to configure this?

Automatic. And what does `-force-opengl` have to do with texture compression?

Automatic. And what does `-force-opengl` have to do with texture compression?

Sorry should have been clear, i'm trying to reduce RAM.. that why i commented.. Seems i'm getting 500mb RAM decrease using this mod so all is good :) thanks for info Shaw..

Hey Shaw, on the OP the "Color-coordinated Astronaut Suits" sends you here but the updated version is here. Would you update that link?

Thanks, I fixed it. But the first link in your post doesn't work, it's just a file name instead of full URL.

I took a look at your pack and noticed you have lots of duplicated textures there; normal maps and jetpack texture are identical for all your suits. It suffices to put them into `Default/` only, other suits inherit them.

Thanks, I fixed it. But the first link in your post doesn't work, it's just a file name instead of full URL.

I took a look at your pack and noticed you have lots of duplicated textures there; normal maps and jetpack texture are identical for all your suits. It suffices to put them into `Default/` only, other suits inherit them.

Okay, I'll take a look at the download link. Thanks for bringing that up. I'll take a look at the extra textures, I didn't think to just use one texture in Default since all of the suits use the same ones, that's a good point.

Edit: Updated the download links, both should work. Both sets are updated, I removed the unnecessary NRM files.

Edited by Pingonaut

How does TR currently assign heads to generic Kerbals? I find that with a large amount of heads (18 males, 4 females) for generic Kerbals, I get very little variation in heads.

Using TR and Crew Manifest, I have spawned 16 generic Kerbals, 15 males, 1 female.

Of the 15 males, 5 of them had head X(Generic name for the explanation), there were pairs of Y, Z, A, and then the last 5 were random.

I will continue the test to see if the sample size was too small.

If you need more specifics I am glad to give you!

Edited by WololoW

How does TR currently assign heads to generic Kerbals? I find that with a large amount of heads (18 males, 4 females) for generic Kerbals, I get very little variation in heads.

Using TR and Crew Manifest, I have spawned 16 generic Kerbals, 15 males, 1 female.

Of the 15 males, 5 of them had head X(Generic name for the explanation), there were pairs of Y, Z, A, and then the last 5 were random.

I will continue the test to see if the sample size was too small.

If you need more specifics I am glad to give you!

int index = ((kerbal.name.GetHashCode() * 4099) & 0x7fffffff) % heads.Count;
head = heads[index];

First, it calculates hash of a Kerbal's name (including "Kerman"). Since string hashes are usually calculated with algorithms like Bernstein's, those that differ in only (last) few characters tend to have similar hashes. This is solved with multiplying by 4099 (prime) to increase spread between similar hashes. This should ensure enough randomness.

The probabilities for 0, 1, 2, ..., 16 female heads are

comb[a_, b_] := a!/(b! (a - !)

k[a_, f_] := N[comb[a, f] (18/22)^(a - f) (4/22)^f]

Table[k[16, i], {i, 0, 16}]

{0.0403271, 0.143385, 0.238976, 0.247826, 0.178986, 0.0954591, \
0.0388907, 0.0123463, 0.00308657, 0.000609692, 0.000094841, \
0.0000114959, 1.06443*10^-6, 7.27818*10^-8, 3.4658*10^-9,
1.0269*10^-10, 1.42625*10^-12}

i.e. 14% for 15 males, 1 female.

If you select, say, 11 different heads, when selecting the 12th, there's already 50% chance it will repeat itself. The probability for all heads being different is only 0.0032%.

N[(22!/4!)/22^18]

So, your selection of heads is not so strange. If I calculated it right, probability for your selection (5 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) is 0.726%.

Edited by shaw

Okay. I didn't find any skyboxes that I liked, although Nick Cage attacking Nick Cage was interesting. So I made my own.

4096 TGAs with RLE compression. You can probably reduce them to 2048 with little noticeable loss of quality.

This skybox approximates what the naked eye can see when not adjusted for darkness (fewer visible stars). Made using Tycho super-hi-res image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2isvhrgml7rk8y/Oinkers_Kerbal_Skybox.zip 39M File

where do i place these files?

I've really been wanting these two suits, would anyone be able to make them for KSP? I'd be eternally grateful. Even telling me how I may edit existing suits to look like them would be helpful, I've been trying to add a layer of different textures on top of existing suits with not much luck.

Mercury_Suit_Gordon_Cooper.jpgGemini_10_prime_crew_(Young_and_Collins).jpg

int index = ((kerbal.name.GetHashCode() * 4099) & 0x7fffffff) % heads.Count;
head = heads[index];

First, it calculates hash of a Kerbal's name (including "Kerman"). Since string hashes are usually calculated with algorithms like Bernstein's, those that differ in only (last) few characters tend to have similar hashes. This is solved with multiplying by 4099 (prime) to increase spread between similar hashes. This should ensure enough randomness.

The probabilities for 0, 1, 2, ..., 16 female heads are

comb[a_, b_] := a!/(b! (a - !)

k[a_, f_] := N[comb[a, f] (18/22)^(a - f) (4/22)^f]

Table[k[16, i], {i, 0, 16}]

{0.0403271, 0.143385, 0.238976, 0.247826, 0.178986, 0.0954591, \
0.0388907, 0.0123463, 0.00308657, 0.000609692, 0.000094841, \
0.0000114959, 1.06443*10^-6, 7.27818*10^-8, 3.4658*10^-9,
1.0269*10^-10, 1.42625*10^-12}

i.e. 14% for 15 males, 1 female.

If you select, say, 11 different heads, when selecting the 12th, there's already 50% chance it will repeat itself. The probability for all heads being different is only 0.0032%.

N[(22!/4!)/22^18]

So, your selection of heads is not so strange. If I calculated it right, probability for your selection (5 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) is 0.726%.

Very interesting read even though I have been out of touch with math(nearly no use of it after calc3) for nearly 5 years. I appreciate the explanation and the time you took to write it out for me, it does help to explain the situation for me.

I've really been wanting these two suits, would anyone be able to make them for KSP? I'd be eternally grateful. Even telling me how I may edit existing suits to look like them would be helpful, I've been trying to add a layer of different textures on top of existing suits with not much luck.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Mercury_Suit_Gordon_Cooper.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Gemini_10_prime_crew_(Young_and_Collins).jpg

To create personal edits of existing suits, I loaded up Photoshop, and used the wand/paintcan(can't remember the name, default key is G)/blend tools to select the areas I wanted to change, change them, and then blend them together so they look right.

If this is even slightly helpful for you and you want a more in-depth explanation, I can post it here or pm it to you. (I could actually even stream it for you upon request.)

Lovely little bug - Texture Replacer is spamming the error log with this:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[TR.TextureReplacer] System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'CrewRoster' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

at TextureReplacer.Personaliser.replaceKerbalSkins () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TextureReplacer.Personaliser.updateScene () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TextureReplacer.TextureReplacer.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hundreds of thousands of times. Probably every frame.

Lovely little bug - Texture Replacer is spamming the error log with this:

Hundreds of thousands of times. Probably every frame.

You're using TR 1.6 which is not compatible with KSP 0.24.x. Update to 1.6.1.

To create personal edits of existing suits, I loaded up Photoshop, and used the wand/paintcan(can't remember the name, default key is G)/blend tools to select the areas I wanted to change, change them, and then blend them together so they look right.

If this is even slightly helpful for you and you want a more in-depth explanation, I can post it here or pm it to you. (I could actually even stream it for you upon request.)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Photoshop.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Photoshop.

What program do you have access to in order to edit these textures?

Also, I will give it a try later tonight when I can be at my computer. Around 11pm Mountain time.

What program do you have access to in order to edit these textures?

Also, I will give it a try later tonight when I can be at my computer. Around 11pm Mountain time.

I use Paint.net (I've been using it for years and I'm most comfortable with it) and recently GIMP.

So I have recently found a skybox that I want to use. I installed texture replacer (updated for .24), made sure the skybox pics were named NegativeX.png NegativeY.png, etc., and I deleted the NegativeX.tga NegativeY.tga etc. from Texture Replacer. The Skybox hasn't changed. Anyone have a solution?

So I have recently found a skybox that I want to use. I installed texture replacer (updated for .24), made sure the skybox pics were named NegativeX.png NegativeY.png, etc., and I deleted the NegativeX.tga NegativeY.tga etc. from Texture Replacer. The Skybox hasn't changed. Anyone have a solution?

Are you updating skybox or environment map for reflections? Skyboy is `Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeX` etc., reflections' envmap is `EnvMap/NegativeX` etc.

Are you updating skybox or environment map for reflections? Skyboy is `Default/GalaxyTex_NegativeX` etc., reflections' envmap is `EnvMap/NegativeX` etc.

Do we have to edit a cfg file and add these or something? I don't really under stand the readme. It lists options but does not tell you where to make these changes. I just want to change my skybox texture to oinkers. Thats all :)