BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Awesome, the one reason I don't use UR is because I get frame rate drops. This one is gives me better rates then UR, but is still down. I lose half my frame rates. I could never understand why with either one of these plugins, they just replace textures. I get those drops even before I put textures in.

I will definitely use this one, as it seems better and I am sure it will get better.

UniverseReplacer is a great mod, but I always felt the performance impact was higher than it needed to be. Fortunately someone came to the same conclusion and wrote a plugin to mitigate the problem. Great!

Yeah it was really bad. I even use to post on the thread about it all the time. I figured no one was listening. I really wanted to use my Orange Kerbal Eva suits. If I knew how to code, I would of done it a long time ago. I'm glad to see this mod here.

UniverseReplacer is a great mod, but I always felt the performance impact was higher than it needed to be. Fortunately someone came to the same conclusion and wrote a plugin to mitigate the problem. Great!

@therealcrow999: High-res resolution textures also cause performance drop, since GPU has to fetch more data from memory on each frame and there is worse cache locality => more cache misses => more cycles spent waiting for data.

This was before I put any textures in with UR.

@therealcrow999: High-res resolution textures also cause performance drop, since GPU has to fetch more data from memory on each frame and there is worse cache locality => more cache misses => more cycles spent waiting for data.

@shaw, I have to say what you did worked wonders. The new .dll work much better. Here are the numbers to show you. I use fraps to give me frame rates.

Non-Texture Replacer with all my mods:

Main menu - 120 FPS Space Center - 100 FPS VAB - 46 FPS LaunchPad - 41 FPS

Texture Replacer:

Main menu - 60 FPS Space Center - 47 FPS VAB - 27 FPS LaunchPad - 22 FPS

The New Texture Replacer .dll:

Main menu - 110 FPS Space Center - 90 FPS VAB - 42 FPS LaunchPad - 32 FPS

@NicoH: No. I might add this if I find a mapping between (logical) Kerbals and their meshes, so one could map specific head textures to Kerbals with chosen names. I hate Jeb having different face each time.

This is interesting. Presumably, it'll handle planet surface textures as well?

Would be good if we could get a centrally compiled list of textures. The reddit page was always doomed.

@shaw, I have to say what you did worked wonders. The new .dll work much better. Here are the numbers to show you. I use fraps to give me frame rates.

Non-Texture Replacer with all my mods:

Main menu - 120 FPS Space Center - 100 FPS VAB - 46 FPS LaunchPad - 41 FPS

Texture Replacer:

Main menu - 60 FPS Space Center - 47 FPS VAB - 27 FPS LaunchPad - 22 FPS

The New Texture Replacer .dll:

Main menu - 110 FPS Space Center - 90 FPS VAB - 42 FPS LaunchPad - 32 FPS

I've got 20 fps vs 40 fps (on assembled Mir from Soviet pack).

I have to say what you did worked wonders. The new .dll work much better.

Yes, it works better than UR, but whether there is a way to make the starless skybox (or just modded) without 1.5-2x fps drop?

It would be great.

Edited by MaxP

OK, I will do some test with this DLL later when I'm on my PC. I will add a test with textures installed also.

@therealcrow999: Thanks this was very helpful. Could you check the next DLL, it should (hopefully) almost entirely eliminate the performance issues: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9508397/TextureReplacer.dll. I don't see any slowdown (that doesn't mean much, I also haven't noticed it for the original version).

@MaxP

I am doing test without textures installed or large craft in VAB, because UR gave me frame rate drops with just it's plugin installed. This was before replacement textures were placed in. It can't be helped much with large ships and textures installed to get a few drops in frame rates that's just KSP for you.

I am doing test without textures installed or large craft in VAB

I'm doing the same. And Texture Replacer gave me frame drop with just plugin installed )) But it is a little faster.

Yeah it pretty much eliminated the performance problems. The only thing wrong, it didn't load my skybox textures. My EVA suits did. My skybox textures should be named right, they would with the previous DLL.

New DLL

Main menu - 120 FPS Space Center - 100 FPS VAB - 46 FPS LaunchPad - 36 FPS

Pretty much like it wasn't installed.

@therealcrow999: Thanks this was very helpful. Could you check the next DLL, it should (hopefully) almost entirely eliminate the performance issues: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9508397/TextureReplacer.dll. I don't see any slowdown (that doesn't mean much, I also haven't noticed it for the original version).
Edited by therealcrow999

This is for all the lazy people out there, lol.

I renamed some of the texture packs to use with this mod.

This is Raredens Skybox rev4:

http://www./download/tg...reReplacer.zip

This is MrTheBull Orange Eva Kerbal suits:

http://www./download/09...reReplacer.zip

OK finally renamed Sido's Texture Pack - Planets & Moons. I took out all the clouded planets and moons, you should really be using rbrays89 Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905

This Sido's has a Skybox which are the same as the link above, Raredens Skybox rev4. The difference with Sido's is that they files are smaller and are jpgs.

http://www./download/g1wlbx18pqggc3j/Sido's%20Texture%20Pack%20-%20Planets%20%26%20Moons%20-%20For%20Texture%20Replacer%20.zip

Yes I am lazy too, so no offense.

Edited by therealcrow999