BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Okay. I didn't find any skyboxes that I liked, although Nick Cage attacking Nick Cage was interesting. So I made my own.

4096 TGAs with RLE compression. You can probably reduce them to 2048 with little noticeable loss of quality.

This skybox approximates what the naked eye can see when not adjusted for darkness (fewer visible stars). Made using Tycho super-hi-res image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2isvhrgml7rk8y/Oinkers_Kerbal_Skybox.zip 39M File

Note: No changes since its initial creation/release but I never said there were the following alterations to the night sky image - Colors shifted ever so slightly to red for an older universe look. And added some nearby galaxies and a supernova.... can you find them?

Edited by Oinker
changed link to dropbox (my bandwidth use was 3 gb per day)

New version .15 doesn't load skybox texture for start screens. Seeing the default texture for the first time in forever was shockingly ugly but worst was that hideous aura that's around everything. It was far more pronounced with the default texture but always bothered me. Any way to get rid of this godawful aura around my objects? Is it a crappy suncorona texture? I've tried looking for another to test but didn't find one.

:)Start screen is fixed with release 0.15.1. Aura problem is something else.

Edited by Oinker
problem is fixed

New version .15 doesn't load skybox texture for start screens. Seeing the default texture for the first time in forever was shockingly ugly but worst was that hideous aura that's around everything. It was far more pronounced with the default texture but always bothered me. Any way to get rid of this godawful aura around my objects? Is it a crappy suncorona texture? I've tried looking for another to test but didn't find one.

I've noticed this too but only the first time the screen is loaded. Like if I go to settings and then back, it's my custom skybox. If I go into a game and come back out, sometimes it reverts to default, sometimes it doesn't. It's a bit finicky but I personally don't mind, because I'm usually only on the menu for about 5 seconds anyways, and it works just fine once I get into the game.

I've noticed this too but only the first time the screen is loaded. Like if I go to settings and then back, it's my custom skybox. If I go into a game and come back out, sometimes it reverts to default, sometimes it doesn't. It's a bit finicky but I personally don't mind, because I'm usually only on the menu for about 5 seconds anyways, and it works just fine once I get into the game.

I noticed it, too. It actually depends on framerate and it's more likely when you start KSP for the first time. It's a side effect of optimisation in 0.15. I don't think it's a big issue for now, so I will fix it (made it more reliable) eventually, in the next version.

Edited by shaw

Would it be possible to use the system events to dress Kerbals on a suit on the ground and later other different in space?

Ie can be differentiated the grounded EVA from vacuum EVA?

Not directly with events, but additional check for altitude or air pressure could be added when replacing Kerbal textures. However, I think that would be feature creep.

so I seriously cannot get my own custom kerbal suits in the game.... the help file and instructions are just not making sense to me, from what I understand we have this folder type of folder setup:

DCw6USI.jpg

now from the readme, this is exactly how my folders should look, I have tried moving it from folder to folder (all 3 of the main kerbs + the generic folder) but no dice.... no log in the console anything...

please help me :(

so I seriously cannot get my own custom kerbal suits in the game.... the help file and instructions are just not making sense to me, from what I understand we have this folder type of folder setup:

http://i.imgur.com/DCw6USI.jpg

now from the readme, this is exactly how my folders should look, I have tried moving it from folder to folder (all 3 of the main kerbs + the generic folder) but no dice.... no log in the console anything...

IIRC the file name should be EVAhelmet, not sure though.

EDIT: someone posted this a while back.

kerbalHead              // Kerbal head
kerbalMain // IVA suit (veteran)
kerbalMainGrey // IVA suit (standard)
kerbalHelmetGrey // IVA helmet
EVAtexture // EVA suit
EVAhelmet // EVA helmet
EVAjetpack // EVA jetpack
kerbalMainNRM // normal map for IVA suit (standard & veteran)
kerbalHelmetNRM // normal map for IVA & EVA helmet
EVAtextureNRM // normal map for EVA suit
EVAjetpackNRM // normal map for EVA jetpack

GalaxyTex_NegativeX // Skybox -X
GalaxyTex_PositiveX // Skybox +X
GalaxyTex_NegativeY // Skybox -Y
GalaxyTex_PositiveY // Skybox +Y
GalaxyTex_NegativeZ // Skybox -Z
GalaxyTex_PositiveZ // Skybox +Z

suncoronanew // Sun corona
moho00 // Moho
moho01 // Moho normal map
Eve2_00 // Eve
Eve2_01 // Eve normal map
evemoon100 // Gilly
evemoon101 // Gilly normal map
KerbinScaledSpace300 // Kerbin
KerbinScaledSpace401 // Kerbin normal map
NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse // Mün
NewMunSurfaceMapNormals // Mün normal map
NewMunSurfaceMap00 // Minmus
NewMunSurfaceMap01 // Minmus normal map
Duna5_00 // Duna
Duna5_01 // Duna normal map
desertplanetmoon00 // Ike
desertplanetmoon01 // Ike normal map
dwarfplanet100 // Dres
dwarfplanet101 // Dres normal map
gas1_clouds // Jool
cloud_normal // Jool normal map
newoceanmoon00 // Laythe
newoceanmoon01 // Laythe normal map
gp1icemoon00 // Vall
gp1icemoon01 // Vall normal map
rockymoon100 // Tylo
rockymoon101 // Tylo normal map
gp1minormoon100 // Bop
gp1minormoon101 // Bop normal map
gp1minormoon200 // Pol
gp1minormoon201 // Pol normal map
snowydwarfplanet00 // Eeloo
snowydwarfplanet01 // Eeloo normal map

http://i.imgur.com/DCw6USI.jpg

"EVAhelmet", not "EVAHelmet"

I see that some people have problems with Space engines skyboxes in KSP.

I have devised a way to Create a skybox with Space Engine.

First off render the skybox in Space engine. (Preferably a High resolution PNG)

Then Change the names of the files From...

(sky)+Z = (galaxy)+Z

(sky)+Z = (galaxy)-Z

(sky)+Y = (galaxy)-Y

(sky)-Y = (galaxy)+Y

(sky)-X = (galaxy)-X

(sky)+X = (galaxy)+X

(hint + is pos and - is neg)

e.g sky_pos_z = GalaxyTex_NegativeZ

Sometimes one of the sides are too bright or dim, you can fix this by opening up an image editing program and adjusting the brightness and checking it again in ksp.

It is simply trial and error.

If the lighting looks somewhat fuzzy and you're sure it's the game's problem, try turning up pixel light count and shadow cascades.

Finally take all the images you have recently fiddle around with and place them in (YourKSPDirectory)\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default

Voilà.

Here are an image with my skybox.

pWNei6n.png

If you by chance like it here is the link.

https://www./?atkj0c99ay3eddz

Now you can make ALL the skyboxes!

Bye bye.:)

Edited by blubbermonkeys

Well it seems this is the better and more supported texture mod for KSP, so I suppose I'm going to focus my next texture pack update for this mod. Giving everything a minor facelift, but may have too much detail? The transition from orbit textures to surface textures seems too harsh.

Here's a preview of Ike:

0PnMeK3.png

Could anyone direct me towards a step-by-step for dummies? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with this Mod, I'm trying to install my Universe Replacer textures and I just don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Could anyone direct me towards a step-by-step for dummies? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with this Mod, I'm trying to install my Universe Replacer textures and I just don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Drag everything inside of your "Textures" folder into the "GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/" directory, then rename all of your textures according to the naming conventions listed on the first post.

Well it seems this is the better and more supported texture mod for KSP, so I suppose I'm going to focus my next texture pack update for this mod.

That's great news! Still using your last, very awesome release for UR.

xEhrbeR.jpg

I modified Sylith's textures to add some more variations, removed eye shadows and made some other fixes.

Download: KerbalHeads.7z (24 MiB)

Thanks goes to Sylith who made the original pack and gave permission for his textures to be modified & redistributed. You can download his original PSD file here. Consider it CC BY.

Edited by shaw
updated link

v0.17 released.

Customisable visor colour, config file and several other small changes that can fix Kerbal texture replacement in some boundary cases. There is also an experimental feature: Kerbals in breathable atmosphere can be spawned without helmets and in IVA suits. It still doesn't work well and must be explicitly enabled in configuration file.

v0.17 released.

Customisable visor colour, config file and several other small changes that can fix Kerbal texture replacement in some boundary cases. There is also an experimental feature: Kerbals in breathable atmosphere can be spawned without helmets and in IVA suits. It still doesn't work well and must be explicitly enabled in configuration file.

This is awesome! :D

I tried this mod awhile back, but I ended up having a bad time with it converting/renaming my textures. I never got it to work. Since then ive been using UniverseReplacer and Rbray's cloud pack. But as I see this mod develop I think its time I gave It another go.

My goal is to have a stable install of ksp with 8k planet textures ( just one planet at a time ), 8k cloud pack along with Astronomer's new textures to go along with it. That and a few part packs. And forgive me, but I gotta say I deleted 95% of Squad's parts and spaces. I tried it one day, saw my gamedata folder size was 500mb.. decided to go for a complete aftermarket setup.

tl;dr Rambling aside.. Is this mod a more efficient way to manage textures by combining both UR and BoulderCo? I need all the help I can get with these large textures. Once you see it.. its worth all the crashes. lol

Edited by Motokid600

@Motokid: TextureReplacer is not a replacement for Visual Enhancements mod, only for UR + basic Active Memory Reduction mod. It's everything in the first post what are the advantages over UR. In the matter of performance it's much more efficient.