BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

@somnambulist: "-compress RLE" has no effect. ImageMagick doesn't implement RLE compression (only de-compression). And what's the point of "\."? You could just write ".", it's bash not regular expression.

re tga compression, I didn't check before/after file sizes. Is this documented anywhere? If it doesn't work, I'll switch back over to sips but that would be OS X only. And the \. is absentmindedness -- my work's in-house cms takes regex for input files and freaks out if you don't escape periods.

re tga compression, I didn't check before/after file sizes. Is this documented anywhere? If it doesn't work, I'll switch back over to sips but that would be OS X only. And the \. is absentmindedness -- my work's in-house cms takes regex for input files and freaks out if you don't escape periods.

I've seen it mentioned on several forums, but I don't think it's documented anywhere.

How does this work? e..g, I want to replace 'moho00' with 'arbitraryname.tga'?

You rename `arbitraryname.tga` to `moho00.tga` and put it to GameData/TextureReplacer/Textures (or a subdirectory of it). It means you can replace most textures if you know their internal names, not only those on the list.

You rename `arbitraryname.tga` to `moho00.tga` and put it to GameData/TextureReplacer/Textures (or a subdirectory of it). It means you can replace most textures if you know their internal names, not only those on the list.

Ahh ok. I thought you might have added something like Tingle's support for replacing part textures.

Hey shaw, what're the odds of us seeing code similar to this worked into your mod:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-Release-6-7-Visual-Enhancements-Clouds-City-Lights?p=872539&viewfull=1#post872539

It'd sure help us cut down on the heavy TGAs to cover the mipmapping problem.

This will be added to my texture mod, then Shaw can take a look and incorporate it as desired.

Released 0.12

I've added mipmaps generation (thanks rbray) to my mod. However, mipmaps are only generated for textures whose paths contain "/Parts/" or begin with "TextureReplacer/Textures" to prevent mipmap generation for UI icons of some mods. If one uses half, quarter etc. texture quality, 2nd, 3rd etc. mipmap would be loaded instead of the original image and thus producing blurry icons and mission flags in UI.

I hope it's fixed in 0.12.1. I made textures unreadable after compression or mipmap generation in hope to free even more memory (I guess unreadable textures get unloaded from RAM). This crashed Visual Enhancements (that's actually a bug in VE, not checking whether a texture is readable before manipulating it) and made a few parts fail to load because they access texture data during loading (WTF?).

I added the content I have been planning into my Texture Compression mod, though at this point it feels more like a texture management mod. Shaw, I'm thinking that it might be worth it to join forces to create a general purpose texture management and replacement mod.

I added the content I have been planning into my Texture Compression mod, though at this point it feels more like a texture management mod. Shaw, I'm thinking that it might be worth it to join forces to create a general purpose texture management and replacement mod.

A joint venture seems like the sane way to go! Github makes it immensly easy to collaborate on a shared project like this.

Hey folks -- I didn't see a bug report feature at GitHub, so I'll report it here: I installed TextureReplacer and it looks great, but it appears to be the reason the Deadly Reentry heatshields and some of the command pods disappeared from the VAB and R&D facilities in all my games. I uninstalled every mod I had (I have a lot installed) and swapped them all in one at a time, to track down why these parts were disappearing. It turned out to be TextureReplacer. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I can confirm that the parts all return to the game once I remove TextureReplacer. There are no noteworthy flags or reports in the debug log (that I can see) indicating problems, and the models do seem to actually load at startup, but they just don't show up in the game. It seems especially weird that this would mainly affect Deadly Reentry, but guess mods can conflict. I don't remember anything like this happening with UniverseReplacer when I used that. I would prefer to use this mod, but for now I'm leaving it out of my game.

Yeesh -- I didn't realize there had been another release of TextureReplacer since I downloaded it on the 28th. I have installed 0.21.1 now and the parts are all there in the VAB. Thanks for bringing the version change to my attention.

In order to shift from using Universe Replacer to this, I just need to move the textures from the UR directory to the TR directory, and re-name them as required, right?

Right.

(This text is required because this forum doesn't accept my post unless it has at least 10 chars. WTF?)