What gaming mouse would you recommend me to get?

dudester28

Honestly, if your going to sacrifice Quality for Looks, why not go ahead and buy a Razer Ouroboros?

Joking aside, i can only recommend two brands to someone in good conscious Logitech and Corsair.

Logitech makes some rock solid units that will last forever and their Logitech Gaming software is exceptional. They offer reasonable DPI options and are usually very comfortable. Logitech's product line can be found here.

Corsair makes some rock solid units as well, Their software has gotten better. Their units have exceptional build quality, most feature an aluminum uni-body construction instead of plastic like most manufacturers. They are also usually sporting a high DPI laser, which is nice. Corsair's product line can be found here.

These brands command a premium but are honestly worth the price if they fit what you are looking for.

Do you know your grip style?, Your preference on grip material?, Do LEDs matter?, Wireless or Wired?

These kind of decisions are very personal, you are going to be using the piece of equipment. Sometime its better to "Try it before you Buy it."

The Rat series is nice, I like their idea of being able to customize it to fit your hand, But that all goes out the window when it stop working.

Edited by Leonov

What can a mouse modify for gaming do? Does it just look cooler?

High end gaming mice, or gaming mice in general, usually come with a assortment of special features that one would usually not find on regular consumer mice. Features such as, Adjust-ability, Polling Rates, macro buttons, and of course better sensors for movement such as high DPI Lasers. And yes they are usually more appealing than regular consumer mice.

So I'm just wondering: What is the marginal benefit of getting an $80 mouse versus a $40 mouse? Is the difference that big?

Marginal Benefit you say?, Well in terms of economics a mouse at the $80 price point usually has an 8200 DPI Laser Sensor, a handful of Macro keys that you can bind to in game actions, or actions on your computer. Your $40 price point mice come with a 4200DPI-6400DPI Laser for their sensor, and maybe two mouse buttons for binding macros. This usually depends on what brand you are looking at as they all do things differently.

A Budget would be nice and then what you plan on using the mouse for, Do you play a lot of MMO's or RPG's?, do you play a lot of First Person Shooters?

Edited by Leonov

If you're playing First Person Shooters or other reaction-time based games, I personally prefer a wireless, as do many hardcore gamers I know; wired mouses respond slightly faster than wireless ones. While a novice, mediocre, or even some regular gamers may not notice a difference, but when it comes to being a top-gamer, that split second can make a difference.

Otherwise, go wireless.

If you're playing First Person Shooters or other reaction-time based games, I personally prefer a wireless, as do many hardcore gamers I know; wired mouses respond slightly faster than wireless ones. While a novice, mediocre, or even some regular gamers may not notice a difference, but when it comes to being a top-gamer, that split second can make a difference.

Otherwise, go wireless.

Actually that is just the opposite, Wired mouse have a better response time and are preferred by a professional gamers. Especially if you use a PS/2 connector which acts as a hardware interrupt, this can be explained very simply, When you use a USB interface you interface device should have a polling rate, this polling rate is how many times the CPU asks the mouse or keyboard "Hey, are you doing anything?", this process is rather slow in terms of milliseconds and actually puts a nearly unnoticeable hamper on your CPU. With a PS/2 interface the CPU no longer polls the input device as soon as you press a key on your keyboard or move your mouse the input is sent directly to the CPU and interrupts what it is doing to send your input to where it belongs. giving you a slightly better reaction time. The other advantage of using PS.2 is you can have full N-key rollover, this means simply that if you were to press all the keys on your keyboard they would all register.

Wireless mice are really for comfort, Logitech has gone to great links with their G602 to make its input lag very small and almost unnoticeable to trained eyes.

Edited by Leonov

Logitech G9x user here; I'll never buy another mouse again. It feels good in the hand, has great, precise control, just the right number of buttons, you can make the scroll wheel clicky or free-spinning, it's held up for a long time (almost a year now with no noticeable signs of wear), and most importantly it doesn't look like the design came to some weaboo in a wet dream (*cough*RAT*cough*). My only complaint is about the braid on the cable-- it got kinked and I had to cut it off.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything made by razer. It will look cool and work great, for a month or two.

Edit: Newegg page says the G9x has been discontinued. Bummer :(

Anyway OP - it's worth looking into grip styles as well. Some people rest their palm on the mouse, some people hold it with a couple fingertips, and higher end mice are usually designed with a particular grip in mind. It makes a difference.

Edited by Traches

Do you play a lot of MMO's or RPG's?, do you play a lot of First Person Shooters?

Some games I play include League of Legends, Team fortress 2, Minecraft, and KSP (of course!)

Interestingly, I uncovered this article that claims that DPI doesn't matter as much as mouse makers claim it does.

From the article: "Ninety percent of expert gamers will be using a DPI between 800 and 1600"

Do you agree with what the article claims?

Anyway OP - it's worth looking into grip styles as well. Some people rest their palm on the mouse, some people hold it with a couple fingertips, and higher end mice are usually designed with a particular grip in mind. It makes a difference.

I typically use a the palm grip.

Some games I play include League of Legends, Team fortress 2, Minecraft, and KSP (of course!)

Interestingly, I uncovered this article that claims that DPI doesn't matter as much as mouse makers claim it does.

From the article: "Ninety percent of expert gamers will be using a DPI between 800 and 1600"

Do you agree with what the article claims?

I typically use a the palm grip.

DPI isn't everything of course, you really don't want to use 8200 DPI on a daily basis as a slight twitch will send it across the screen and that isn't fun. Your higher quality sensors are the ones that have insanely high DPI numbers, quality come with a price and a performance gain in these situations. Their number seems inflated but i'm not here to argue semantics.

I have a Corsair M95 in black, i really only use the full 8200 DPI for FPS games where i want to be super precise, anything else its around 6400-4800 for moving around my two monitors. I also got it because i like to bind stuff to my mouse instead of all over my keyboard.

I go between the fingertip and palm grip, i like a mouse with a nice backing with a quality feel, also i am a fan of heavy mice.

Edited by Leonov

Logitech G700S owner here.

I generally go for Logitech when it comes to peripherals.

Peripherals are the computer related products that are most likely to break, and Logitechs warranty is just out of this world.

I had a button break off my mouse and got an instant over-the-counter replacement. My G930 wireless headset got some issues after almost 2 years of use and point of sale did not exist anymore. Logitech sent me a new one after contacting them on their website (and did not even have to ship the old one back to them).

If you buy logitech, you know that your product is covered by outstanding warranty services. If it breaks (and it's not your own dumb fault), you will not spend weeks waiting for a manufacturer to 'repair' your product, you will get a new one, instantly.

Other than that, I owned a G5, G500, G700 and G700S.

I can recommend all of them, with the G700 / G700S being my favorite. It has great ergonomic grip, lots of buttons which can be programmed to do anything, a beautiful scroll wheel feeling and a good sensor that can be adjusted to DPI settings of your choice with the press of a button.

-snip-

One thing i love about Logitech is their warranty and their customer service. Both are top notch. They also have good build quality, not some shoddy piece of plastic like some companies. They really put a lot of thought into their products.

Before my Corsair M95, i had a Logitech M510 for about 2 years.

Well, I have the Cyborg RAT 3 (the little brother of the RAT 7 we've already seen on this thread). It's never failed me, plus it's really comfortable, and it's considerably cheaper than the RAT 7 because it's wired and has fewer buttons. Definitely recommended.

Everyone will say different things as its definatley preferance thing.

Also depends on what games you will play. I use a razer imperitor as the side buttons are nicely placed for me plus alot of razer stuff has 4g sensors (posh name for a combined optical and laser sensor)

My only advice is to try out an optical mouse and a laser mouse. I really cant stand laser sensors as they still pick up movement when you lift the mouse from the pad.

Everyone will say different things as its definatley preferance thing.

Also depends on what games you will play. I use a razer imperitor as the side buttons are nicely placed for me plus alot of razer stuff has 4g sensors (posh name for a combined optical and laser sensor)

My only advice is to try out an optical mouse and a laser mouse. I really cant stand laser sensors as they still pick up movement when you lift the mouse from the pad.

Mouse lift should be adjustable in your mouses software.

Found this article on the topic.

I agree that mouse stability is more important than DPI and fancy design.

I personally have the Deathadder and love it's shape and optical sensor.

Thanks!

I have decided to get the Anker high precision laser gaming mouse. It looks like it will suit my grip and needs. It has good reviews. Also, it's currently $20 off on Amazon!

Thank you to everyone who helped me out.

Edited by dudester28

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.