[1.0.2]HGR 1.875m parts(v1.3.0 released)

Orionkermin

I am using RPM. Wouldn't fly without it.

OK cool, that helps more than it might seem. I've probably set something up wrong in the RPM patch. For a temporary fix, deleting the green pod's entry in the RPM patch might fix the problem.

I will look at it more closely as soon as I can. :) thanks for letting me know.

Is it just me or do the aerodynamics act really funky on these parts. If I turn my Soyuz built completely from these parts just a bit it flies out of control immediately. Unbelievably frustrating!

Is it just me or do the aerodynamics act really funky on these parts. If I turn my Soyuz built completely from these parts just a bit it flies out of control immediately. Unbelievably frustrating!

Hmm odd. Were you using the shroud from the escape tower? Maybe they aren't shielding properly, I'll have a look and see. Are you having trouble with other builds or just with a soyuz style craft?

Hmm odd. Were you using the shroud from the escape tower? Maybe they aren't shielding properly, I'll have a look and see. Are you having trouble with other builds or just with a soyuz style craft?

I did use the shroud from the escape tower. Haven't tried any other craft but I will build up a test rig right now

I too had some issues getting the Soyuz/R-7 parts tuned down to where they would fly without going nuts. It comes down to two things: Too much power and too little drag. Adding the small stock winglets (the new ones they added in 1.0) to the strap-on booster's engines helps, as does keeping your liftoff atmospheric TWR around 1.2-1.3. Try setting the thrust percentage of the RD/FG-120s to ~60 for the core and ~61 for the radial boosters - that's what worked for me. Also have to throttle back a bit during ascent, especially in the few moments before booster jettison. Once I had everything balanced it flew reasonably well.

I've observed identical behaviour using stock parts, and this is something that's very likely to change in KSP v1.0.3 so it might be better to just wait to make any tweaks.

Another small issue is the R-7 (in the configuration shown below) has about 1,000 extra ∆v to orbit (Low-Kerbin Orbit takes at most 3850m/s vacuum ∆v for me in 1.0.2). Meaning the launch vehicle can lift a SoyJuice to a Mün Transfer. Your tanks are balanced perfectly with the Squad tanks, but your engines are now rather more efficient. I've not given much thought as to how the engines would be better balanced. Maybe it's not really an issue....

20150531_ksp0119_r7.jpg

Edited by Cydonian Monk

I did use the shroud from the escape tower. Haven't tried any other craft but I will build up a test rig right now

Sorry, I didn't get time to test after work. I'll try for tonight.

I too had some issues getting the Soyuz/R-7 parts tuned down to where they would fly without going nuts. It comes down to two things: Too much power and too little drag. Adding the small stock winglets (the new ones they added in 1.0) to the strap-on booster's engines helps, as does keeping your liftoff atmospheric TWR around 1.2-1.3. Try setting the thrust percentage of the RD/FG-120s to ~60 for the core and ~61 for the radial boosters - that's what worked for me. Also have to throttle back a bit during ascent, especially in the few moments before booster jettison. Once I had everything balanced it flew reasonably well.

I've observed identical behaviour using stock parts, and this is something that's very likely to change in KSP v1.0.3 so it might be better to just wait to make any tweaks.

Another small issue is the R-7 (in the configuration shown below) has about 1,000 extra ∆v to orbit (Low-Kerbin Orbit takes at most 3850m/s vacuum ∆v for me in 1.0.2). Meaning the launch vehicle can lift a SoyJuice to a Mün Transfer. Your tanks are balanced perfectly with the Squad tanks, but your engines are now rather more efficient. I've not given much thought as to how the engines would be better balanced. Maybe it's not really an issue....

http://0div0.org/images/ksp/20150531_ksp0119_r7.jpg

It's a tough call. When I was balancing the engines I used KER to test and try to find happy mediums between the capabilities of the 1.25 and 2.5 equivalents. These engines should be more efficient for the average craft built with this size of tanks and Under/over built for the bigger and smaller tanks, ideally. I think waiting for 1.0.3 and doing a big balance pass is the best call, a lot will likely change at that point anyway.

All that being said, as you showed above, the 120s need to be tweaked down a bit if you're building an R-7 replica. It would be similar to building a 2.5m craft and using five mainsails in your first stage and then another in the upper stage with a relatively light payload. I think that generally speaking in the stock environment this type of craft is overbuilt for the payload it's lifting. I'm ok with that however because fuel and thrust can be tweaked down for replicas without turning this into a kit craft.

The old Soy-Juice is a good example of something in this pack that looks good, but really needs a remake to get rid of that kit craft feel. It's also over-sized; (the capsule) a relic of before the mod had a focus on 1.875m parts.

I don't know what the next incarnation of realfuels/stockalike is going to do, but even in their stock config, your boosters have always been a godsend if playing on a scaled up Kerbal system. 6.4x in particular. They just feel... Right. An R7 replica gives enough oomph to get into orbit typically.

When playing on stock size, I usually employ the G90 (the middle 'skipper' sized one?) for the strapons, and typically only use two or three strapons. It looks a bit odd, but the results don't lie. (Disclaimer, that i've not tried this in the 1.0.x realm; I could be talking entirely out of my hat ><)

I have the Corvus 2 man installed, and after updating in CKAN, my game load was hanging when ModuleManager was at "liquidenginemini". I noticed I had the hgr updated as of this refresh, so I rolled that back, and removed corvus and this - which cleared the loading hang. But - before I started in on a bug issue, I reinstalled to see if the error would happen. And it did. So I uninstalled and then my KSP loads just fine. But.... I had a gut feeling that it wasn't this. I thought there might be a ModuleManager problem, so I deleted the modulemanager.configcache, reinstalled, and everything JustWorksâ„¢. So if anyone comes to you for a bug, tell them to clear the module manager cache.

Bug fix stuff

Thanks for the heads up! I'll refer anyone that comes with similar issues to your post.

I really like the artstyle for this mod, and the 1.875 parts feel great to use!

The only problems I've been having are with the radish decoupler, but it is still a great mod.

Thanks, the plan is to eventually remake the radish with a 1.875m base, so the decoupler should go away at that time. Out of curiosity are you having problems with it working or just don't like the art?

For some reason the only parts that show up are the command pods, including the entire soyjuice setup, and one engine. I really like what I see, but where did everything else go? Someone please help!

Sounds like an installation thing. Double check that HGR and HGR_redux are both in your GameData folder. Did you download from from curse/kerbal stuff or CKAN?

Wait:

I have the Corvus 2 man installed, and after updating in CKAN, my game load was hanging when ModuleManager was at "liquidenginemini". I noticed I had the hgr updated as of this refresh, so I rolled that back, and removed corvus and this - which cleared the loading hang. But - before I started in on a bug issue, I reinstalled to see if the error would happen. And it did. So I uninstalled and then my KSP loads just fine. But.... I had a gut feeling that it wasn't this. I thought there might be a ModuleManager problem, so I deleted the modulemanager.configcache, reinstalled, and everything JustWorksâ„¢. So if anyone comes to you for a bug, tell them to clear the module manager cache.

Hmm. I'll try that.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, orionkerman responded before I finished writing the post (it took a while because I was on mobile), so I'll try that first instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And I used curseforge/kerbalstuff, not CKAN.

Onionkermin, great job on the mod - I really dig the art and find the parts fit in perfectly in so many places it's ridiculous. I wanted to bring something up that I just noticed tonight while planning a new mission to Duna.

I saw on the Advanced 0N-2 "Onion" Orbital Module that your description mentioned allowing modest field research capabilities but I never noticed anything more than crew reports available while flying it. So, just on a curiosity note I took a look at the cfg file and saw you had the ModuleScienceConverter being called and assume you mean it to work like a slightly less efficient Large Crewed Science Lab. This is a great idea but I found a small problem. While the ModuleScienceConverter is perfectly setup, there is no data storage defined for the pod. As such, no data can be converted into science as a lab. To do this you need to have ModuleScienceLab defined as well. I took the liberty and added the section into my own cfg file but seeing as that appeared to be your aim for the pod I thought I'd share the setup I put into my own. I scaled it down from the stock science lab in an effort to stay true to your intention of a slightly more inefficient lab.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceLab

containerModuleIndex = 0

dataStorage = 350

crewsRequired = 1

canResetConnectedModules = True

canResetNearbyModules = True

interactionRange = 4

SurfaceBonus = 0.1

ContextBonus = 0.25

homeworldMultiplier = 0.1

RESOURCE_PROCESS

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 10

}

If you feel like using this please change it as you see fit. I left the SurfaceBonus, ContextBonus and homeworldMultipliers at stock values for now as I'm not exactly sure how much or little they actually affect a lab's performance. I changed the interaction range for cleaning experiments to 4 to help account for the smaller size of the pod but much more really didn't seem necessary unless that ability is simply eliminated. Sure do hope this is what you were aiming for and that I'm not messing up your grand vision. Again, you've done a really great job on this mod.

I love this mod. I have an issue with mod soup and this mod. The Green Soy-Juice decent module causes the screen to go black when i go from VAB to launch pad. When I go back to the Space Center i am in space and the world is gone but still have all the HUD and can still click on things. This does not happen when the only mod i have is HGR. I slowly narrowed it down to the Green Capsule and when I delete that part the game has no further problems that I have found. Not sure why this happens and love the Green module so would love to see some kind of fix for it.

I love this mod. I have an issue with mod soup and this mod. The Green Soy-Juice decent module causes the screen to go black when i go from VAB to launch pad. When I go back to the Space Center i am in space and the world is gone but still have all the HUD and can still click on things. This does not happen when the only mod i have is HGR. I slowly narrowed it down to the Green Capsule and when I delete that part the game has no further problems that I have found. Not sure why this happens and love the Green module so would love to see some kind of fix for it.

It's an issue with RPM, or that's what I was told.

Ok I have a fix for the RPM users that are trying to use the green SoyJuice pod. Basically for whatever reason the RPM internal space got saved as a .txt instead of .cfg. Changing that will fix the issue. Since this is an easy fix I'm going to wait until I get more done and just make sure it's fixed for the next update rather than providing a download.

Untitled_zpstsprjdnp.png

Hi.. just letting you know that this also seems to be a problem for the Onion module? Same black screen etc. when I try to use it. I've checked but the files are in the right format for me. Are you aware of this issue?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned in one of the pages before; just wanted to hop on and check)

Hi.. just letting you know that this also seems to be a problem for the Onion module? Same black screen etc. when I try to use it. I've checked but the files are in the right format for me. Are you aware of this issue?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned in one of the pages before; just wanted to hop on and check)

Nope I didn't know. :) I'll take a look when I'm home again. You have RPM installed, yes?

Nope I didn't know. :) I'll take a look when I'm home again. You have RPM installed, yes?

Ah, no I didn't. (Apologies for the stupid question-) is it required for it to work?

If so, sorry for wasting your time :P

Ah, no I didn't. (Apologies for the stupid question-) is it required for it to work?

If so, sorry for wasting your time :P

No RMP is not required, the issue above is only related to it though. I'll take a look at the onion, but it should be working just fine in a "stock" install.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.