[1.0.2]HGR 1.875m parts(v1.3.0 released)

Orionkermin

Has anyone tried this mod in 1.0.4 yet? I assume there will be some issues...

Other than balance stuff, part mods don't usually break with updates. Unless 1.0.4 introduced some new mechanics and stuff that I'm not aware of yet? I honestly haven't even had time to even try the new update yet. ;.;

Luckily this weekend is a three day weekend in the US, so hopefully I can get some work done on the mod and get at least a compatibility update out, if not even get a new part or two finished up. (They're sitting there untextured at the moment...)

Can't guarantee it, but I think it should. RPM isn't required or anything and as I said , part mods don't usually break between editions and patches. I can't say for 100% sure that it works until I get some time to do testing though.

The balance of the parts is most likely off though, so I don't know what performance will be like compared to stock at this point and time. :confused:

Other than balance stuff, part mods don't usually break with updates. Unless 1.0.4 introduced some new mechanics and stuff that I'm not aware of yet? I honestly haven't even had time to even try the new update yet. ;.;

Luckily this weekend is a three day weekend in the US, so hopefully I can get some work done on the mod and get at least a compatibility update out, if not even get a new part or two finished up. (They're sitting there untextured at the moment...)

Three day weekend? Nobody told me!

Three day weekend? Nobody told me!

4th of July buddy. :D So it's a three day for a lot of us at least. Sorry everyone in service jobs, I've been there, we appreciate your hard work!

Reading up on the 1.0.3 release... I have a feeling the new heat system might break parts. They'll probably load in and function, but without tuning they will likely not work correctly. I did not expect them to change so much with this release. Looks like the fix will be more work than I thought.

Yeah, it changed some stuff. Heat stuff. It's caused quite a few issues with some other parts mods, especially those with engines and things that need to survive heat...

It was a really frustrating update, especially for some modders who had a lot of parts designed to alleviate heat.

4th of July buddy. :D So it's a three day for a lot of us at least. Sorry everyone in service jobs, I've been there, we appreciate your hard work!

Reading up on the 1.0.3 release... I have a feeling the new heat system might break parts. They'll probably load in and function, but without tuning they will likely not work correctly. I did not expect them to change so much with this release. Looks like the fix will be more work than I thought.

I've been playing witt HRG parts in 64k for a couple days now. I haven't seen any real heat issues with HGR parts. They may not be balanced re stock, but they function. And I did some poking around with ablative levels to facilitate 64k but that is to be expected. I would suggest waiting a little while until the community gets its collective head around the new heat system. Some of the first "1.0.4" parts releases seem to play havoc with the new heat system. It is very counter-intuitive. I'm not sure what Squad was going for.

I've been playing witt HRG parts in 64k for a couple days now. I haven't seen any real heat issues with HGR parts. They may not be balanced re stock, but they function. And I did some poking around with ablative levels to facilitate 64k but that is to be expected. I would suggest waiting a little while until the community gets its collective head around the new heat system. Some of the first "1.0.4" parts releases seem to play havoc with the new heat system. It is very counter-intuitive. I'm not sure what Squad was going for.

I'm betting on a 1.05 with another messed up heat system.

I've only noticed a few issues so far in 1.0.4:

1. The Radish pod re-enters at a strange angle, and often I need to use SAS set to retrograde to keep it on the right path initially.

2. The Radish ablator should be set to something higher - coming back from the Mun/Minmus isn't exactly comfortable, depending on your re-entry angle.

3. 1.875m fairing would be nice :P

Is it possible to give the option of the old "static" fairings instead of using the new system? Maybe I'm a troglodyte but, I liked the challenge of fitting my payloads into the static fairings. Not to mention the LES tower and building the fairings "down" doesn't seem to want to let me close the bottom of the fairing :(

Is it possible to give the option of the old "static" fairings instead of using the new system? Maybe I'm a troglodyte but, I liked the challenge of fitting my payloads into the static fairings. Not to mention the LES tower and building the fairings "down" doesn't seem to want to let me close the bottom of the fairing :(

I'd like to, but the new aero system broke them like crazy! They started introducing a ton of drag at the connection nodes and they won't shield correctly. Unfortunately since they wont work without other mods or a change in the way stock handles those kind of fairings I won't be able to add them. If there is a way to get those kind of fairings working in stock I'd be happy to reintroduce them.

I have noticed that to cover the same size payload, the 1.875m fairing weighs quite a bit more than the 2.5m stock fairing. The values should be balanced.

Ok no worries, it could be that the stock values changed between editions or maybe mine were wrong to begin with. :D Either way I'll try to take a look at them and fix for the next update.

Great mod, 1.875 form factor really fills the gap.

But I've noticed several problems/room for enhancement:

1. Fairing is too heavy (other posters also noted this) and fairing base is too thick

2. Both Radish and SoyJuce capsules are aerodynamically unstable

3. Heat shield is strange. When I'm reentering even from low orbit and aiming for 30km periapsis, it burns all the ablator in upper atmosphere. But it still works as protection even with no ablator. By the way, why it is in Construction section? stock heat shields are in Aerodynamic.

4. Any advice on how to actuate a SoyJuce soft landing engine? Real Soyuz has authomatic actuator

5. I seriously miss 1.875 and Radish-sized service bays. I mean a section with openable doors where I can put science stuff, accumulators, probe cores for SAS, etc, similar to stock Service Bay parts. May be radish-sized one must be also a convertor to 1.875?

6. Is it possible to add some logic to simplify use of 1.25 engines? When I attach 1.25 engine to decoupler, it is surrounded by 1.25 authomatic shroud. I must add an interstage fairing to cover it. I understand that this would require serious programming effort, but this would make the mod totally awesome.

7. (Visual) The bottom of SoyJuce service module has no engine nozzles. It is weird to see an engine exhaust going from nowhere.

Great mod, 1.875 form factor really fills the gap.

But I've noticed several problems/room for enhancement:

1. Fairing is too heavy (other posters also noted this) and fairing base is too thick

2. Both Radish and SoyJuce capsules are aerodynamically unstable

3. Heat shield is strange. When I'm reentering even from low orbit and aiming for 30km periapsis, it burns all the ablator in upper atmosphere. But it still works as protection even with no ablator. By the way, why it is in Construction section? stock heat shields are in Aerodynamic.

4. Any advice on how to actuate a SoyJuce soft landing engine? Real Soyuz has authomatic actuator

5. I seriously miss 1.875 and Radish-sized service bays. I mean a section with openable doors where I can put science stuff, accumulators, probe cores for SAS, etc, similar to stock Service Bay parts. May be radish-sized one must be also a convertor to 1.875?

6. Is it possible to add some logic to simplify use of 1.25 engines? When I attach 1.25 engine to decoupler, it is surrounded by 1.25 authomatic shroud. I must add an interstage fairing to cover it. I understand that this would require serious programming effort, but this would make the mod totally awesome.

7. (Visual) The bottom of SoyJuce service module has no engine nozzles. It is weird to see an engine exhaust going from nowhere.

For #4,7:

4: look for the Landertron mod. You should only need the dll from it.

7: on that similar note, I think the dll for the bd animated engines gets called for the service module. I think you can trigger the animation manually though. It certainly does have an engine port, I guarantee :)

I don't think landertron is working quite right yet. Even with the dll the pod fires the engine immediately upon launching the vessel from the VAB (landertron issue) I asked over in the landertron thread, guess I should go look for an update.

I don't think landertron is working quite right yet. Even with the dll the pod fires the engine immediately upon launching the vessel from the VAB (landertron issue) I asked over in the landertron thread, guess I should go look for an update.

Ahh, my bad then. Shame though, hope they get it going soon, such a fun/kerbal landing method :D

On fairing mass again.

Stock fairings have following mass (according to their cfg)

1.25 - 0.075 base, 0.015 per area unit

2.5 - 0.175 base, 0.02 per area unit

HRG 1.825 - 0.2 base, 0.1 per area unit.

HGR fairing is 6 times heavier than stock!!!

I hope, changing the .cfg wont break something?

Has anyone been having troubles with the Soy Juice capsule? every time I try to launch it on its own or part of a vessel the game proceeds to stop rendering everything leaving me with a star field until I return to space center and recover the vessel, I'm assuming it's a mod conflict, but I figured I'd check if anyone else had the issue/worked out how to fix it.

(The radish works fine, if it makes any difference)

Edit : Having just realized there's 2 Soy Juice capsules, I mean the first, green one.

Edited by Osdeath

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.