[1.0.2]HGR 1.875m parts(v1.3.0 released)

Orionkermin

I'm putting together a collection of "HGR Community Fixes", consisting of the patches from myself and others in these last couple of pages, and a few additional fixes that I've made as I found issues in testing.  I'm not quite ready to release, but here's what I've got so far:

• An AntennaRange adaptation patch for the solar panel -- if AntennaRange is installed, its range will match that of the Communotron 16 whip antenna (suitable for LKO with a level 1 tracking station).
    • There's also a RemoteTech patch as well. (I don't use RT, so no comment on this one.)
    • There's also a patch to remove the obsolete "powerCurve" from the solar panel. It's probably harmless, but why risk it?
  • ModuleScienceLab is added to the Leek and Advanced Onion pods, so they can reset experiments and otherwise behave correctly.
  • Heat shield updates for the discrete heat shield, the Radish, and the Spud, so they match stock heat shields now. (They also properly support the 1.0.x updates for Deadly Reentry, I think.)
  • Cost and mass fixes for the fuel tanks and fairing.
  • Center of Pressure and Lift offsets for "descent" modules (the Type 45 Soy-Juice descent modules, the Lima, the Radish, and the Spud) and the heat shield, so capsules are passively aerodynamically stable. Also, buoyancy parameters which match the stock capsules.
  • A KIS patch to add an inventory to the Lima supply capsule.
  • A "KAS" patch to remove deprecated KASModuleGrabs from RCS thrusters and the solar panels.
  • Engine patches for the SoyJuice descent modules. They now have Isp curves like Sepratrons, and their TWRs match.
  • A "backup" RPM config for the green Soy-Juice descent module, in case people forget (or rather, so that people aren't forced to remember) to change HGR/Spaces/SoyInt/internal2_RPM.txt to a .cfg file.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?  (Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the names of everyone who contributed to some of the above patches, but please let me know if I'm forgetting anyone.)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Just a comment / suggestion :  Life Support mod support?

Wondering if there shouldn't be a patch to detect a LS mod and add an appropriately small amount of supplies to the various modules in the pack?  I currently use USI LS, but I used to be a religious TAC LS user as well.  It's a thought,  I think some of the LS mods look for any part that can hold kerbals and then add some amount of supplies to that part, so most likely covered there...  But it can't hurt to put it on the radar right?

Another question I have would be around the retro rockets we used to have if you had another mod installed (forgive me I'm getting old and suffering from CRS syndrome , can't remember ish )...  I'm not sure if that's possible to fix with MM configs.

TAC-LS and Snacks! add supplies to every crew cabin automatically, and USI-LS is set up so that it's not necessary to add supplies to individual capsules (with the grace period, it's going to be more sensible to add discrete supply containers to any mission that's long enough), though I think it would be a good idea to add extra supplies (from whatever mod is present -- any others besides the 3 I've named?) to the Lima (Progress) pod, since that's all about resupply and stuff.

For the retro-rockets, you may be thinking of "Landertrons", and I'm working on that one.  I think the latest version by @charfa implicitly assumes that an animation is present, which is not the case here, and which seems to be causing problems with the arming/firing logic.  I'm certain I can fix that, and then make a PR to charfa, and then ship the landertron patch with the HGR fixes.

EDIT: Never mind, I've got the arming/firing working without tinkering in the Landertron code (had to disable the staging of the engine so that the Landertron could control it).  As it stands currently, the engines can do the Soyuz-like burn right before landing, to cancel out the last ~7-ish m/s of landing velocity, but they're not a substitute for parachutes.  Should they be?

20 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

I would add deploy height for small inline chute

// inline chute default fix

@PART[InLineChuteSmall]:HAS[@ModuleParachute]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
	{
    @minAirPressureToOpen = 0.06
	@deployAltitude = 1000
	}
}

min pressure may vary, but default HGR deploy alt 500 is way to low in my experience

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Checking the inline chute config (1.3.0), it looks like it's already set to 1000 m to deploy.  (I did catch a goof with its bulkheadProfiles, but that's all.)

check small one, that goes on top of radish capsule

3 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

EDIT: Never mind, I've got the arming/firing working without tinkering in the Landertron code (had to disable the staging of the engine so that the Landertron could control it).  As it stands currently, the engines can do the Soyuz-like burn right before landing, to cancel out the last ~7-ish m/s of landing velocity, but they're not a substitute for parachutes.  Should they be?

No, they should not be.  They should just cushion the landing a bit, parachutes do most of the work.

4 hours ago, evileye.x said:

check small one, that goes on top of radish capsule

Oh, that one!  Thanks, and fixed.

4 hours ago, Thraken said:

No, they should not be.  They should just cushion the landing a bit, parachutes do most of the work.

I figured as much.

---

Alright, the life support, parachute, and landertron patches are in.  If everything stays alright, I'll release (in its own thread) this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
On February 21, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Mods_o_joy said:

Despite looking BadS it constantly Crashed my game over and over. I cant remember the error because this was a while ago and my game has crashed other times since then so i do not have a log. it was just NullSpam

It's broken for 1.0.5, the post above you has community fixes. If you don't want to install the community fixes there is always Tantares.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious; would it be possible to somehow bundle HGR and the community fixes together in such a way that I could simply click "HGR" in CKAN and have it install all of it?  I used to do all the cut n pasting to folders and such but I've gotten so used to CKAN's ease of use.  

2 hours ago, Bored971 said:

I'm curious; would it be possible to somehow bundle HGR and the community fixes together in such a way that I could simply click "HGR" in CKAN and have it install all of it?  I used to do all the cut n pasting to folders and such but I've gotten so used to CKAN's ease of use.  

No, OrionKermin set his work to all rights reserved. Nobody is allowed to touch it.

It's absolutely possible* -- I know it's done with KW's community fixes.  I also know KW went through some growing pains when setting up that situation, and since I don't use CKAN, I feel no particular incentive to start the process myself and risk the fallout landing on my head.  :)  I'll offer advice if someone chooses to prod the CKAN folks into indexing my mod, but I'm not going to spend any time on it unless and until that happens.  We'll see if 1.1 dislodges enough of my beloved cruft mods to drive me to CKAN.

* Edit to clarify to @CobaltWolf: What would be necessary to get what @Bored971 wants is to modify the CKAN metadata so that HGR depends on my fixes and vice versa.  They already have permission from @Orionkermin to distribute HGR; Bored971 just wants it to be arranged such that my fixes come with it as a package deal.

10 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

* Edit to clarify to @CobaltWolf: What would be necessary to get what @Bored971 wants is to modify the CKAN metadata so that HGR depends on my fixes and vice versa.  They already have permission from @Orionkermin to distribute HGR; Bored971 just wants it to be arranged such that my fixes come with it as a package deal.

Ah, I did not know that was a functionality of CKAN.

3 hours ago, Andem said:

So if I have BDB and Tantares installed, what is this mod offering other than beautiful texturing?

A true 3-man soyuz, the orbital modules function as science labs. I am not sure what else, but it was a big inspiration for BDB.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

A true 3-man soyuz, the orbital modules function as science labs. I am not sure what else, but it was a big inspiration for BDB.

Thanks, I guess I'll remove the parts I don't need...

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I haven't actually played the game in months, so I can't remember much more off the top of my head. :P

I'll figure it out as I go along... Who knows? :D

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is working on an update of the community patch for HGR, but as I find the Radish capsule totally indispensable for those "save a stranded Kerbal" missions in the early-mid game, I've modded the part config to get it working in the 1.1 prerelease. The CoPOffset and CoLOffset are added in the version below and make the capsule quite stable on reentry, even with a few parts added on top (inline battry, parachute etc.). It sits a little high in the water perhaps so the centre of buoyance and centre of displacement may need tweaking.

It might be easier to just add the new values via a mod manager file, but for those who are interested, here's a complete new .cfg for the Radish...

Spoiler

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = Radish
module = Part
author = Orion

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = Model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.05, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = flightControl
entryCost = 0
cost = 1000
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
title = HGR-57 "Radish" Command Pod MK2
manufacturer = Home Grown Rocket Parts
description = Designed to alleviate long lines at the launchpad, this pod has seen success as an upgrade to the MK1 command pod. It is also great for romantic dates and improvised rescue missions. Veterans appreciate having a hand to hold when things look grim.
// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 21
maxTemp = 1400 // was 2400
skinMaxTemp = 2400

skinInternalConductionMult = 0.625
heatConductivity = 0.1 // 5/6ths default

bulkheadProfiles = size1p5, size0

//CoMOffset = 0, -0.2, 0

CoPOffset = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0
CoLOffset = 0.0, -0.35, 0.0
CenterOfBuoyancy = 0.0, 0.7, 0.0
CenterOfDisplacement = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0

vesselType = Ship

// --- internal setup ---
CrewCapacity = 2

INTERNAL
    {
      name = Radish
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCommand
        minimumCrew = 1    
    }
RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 100
        maxAmount = 100
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 7
        YawTorque = 7
        RollTorque = 7

RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.36
        }
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = MonoPropellant
        amount = 20
        maxAmount = 20
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceExperiment    

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
        resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
        reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False    
        useActionGroups = True
        hideUIwhenUnavailable = True    
        rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0
    }
MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
        storeActionName = Store Experiments
        evaOnlyStorage = True
        storageRange = 1.3
    }
MODULE
    {
          name = FlagDecal
          textureQuadName = flagTransform
    }
MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAblator
        ablativeResource = Ablator
        lossExp = -7500
        lossConst = 0.1
        pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
        reentryConductivity = 0.01
        ablationTempThresh = 500
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Ablator
        amount = 50
        maxAmount = 100
    )
)

Enjoy!

4 hours ago, EatVacuum said:

I don't know if anyone is working on an update of the community patch for HGR, but as I find the Radish capsule totally indispensable for those "save a stranded Kerbal" missions in the early-mid game, I've modded the part config to get it working in the 1.1 prerelease. The CoPOffset and CoLOffset are added in the version below and make the capsule quite stable on reentry, even with a few parts added on top (inline battry, parachute etc.). It sits a little high in the water perhaps so the centre of buoyance and centre of displacement may need tweaking.

I have it on good authority that someone is working on some community fixes, CoLOffset and CoPOffset included.  :wink:

4 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I have it on good authority that someone is working on some community fixes, CoLOffset and CoPOffset included.  :wink:

I don't trust your source. I think he's lying. ;)

In all seriousness, kudos to making the fixes to keep HGR going. The artwork is inspiring.

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.