[1.0.2]HGR 1.875m parts(v1.3.0 released)

Orionkermin

Oh, you released it. Sorry that I forgot to post my own impression while testing :/ I wanted to give a "testing report" at the end of the weekend but kind of forgot it because of work related stuff..

That's ok, there was no obligation on your part, it's not like any of us get paid to do this. And you can still give me your impressions, because there will always be more updates:)

This has quickly become my Go-to pod for everyday operations. I love the option for the two fairings! (I much prefer the big one due to the unusual base size) It's the perfect go-between between the 1.25m rockets early in the tree and the larger 2.5m ones later. (And the Odd 2.5m part you get in the middle)

So I updated to the latest version, and as the folder structure has changed, I deleted the old "RadishPod" folder. Now, on both of my active vessels that use the pod, this happens:

8aVJ0ell.png

It happens to the shown vessel and a station with docked pods, but not my mapping satellite, which leaves this, TAC life support and Real Chutes as possible culprits. But I suspect it's this mods fault because the update is afair the only thing I changed about my mods. I will revert to the older version, land those vessels and then update again and see if that solves it.

I also used Realcrows MM patch to add RPM to the old version and added a DR heatshield, resulting in this config:

@PART[Radish]
{
MODULE
{
name = JSIInternalPersistence
}

MODULE
{ // this one is custom, and is a little thicker than most heat shields.
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 64 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 80 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 180 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 300
}
}

@INTERNAL[Radish]
{
MODULE
{
name = InternalCameraTargetHelper
}

PROP
{
name = RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD
position = -0.2504817,0.2107841,-0.07583074
rotation = -0.2461533,0,0,0.9692309
scale = 0.4849713,0.4849713,0.4849713
}

PROP
{
name = RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD
position = 0.250348,0.210784,-0.075831
rotation = -0.246153,0,0,0.969231
scale = 0.484971,0.484971,0.484971
}
}

Removing the MM config doesn't fix it, but it may have "broken" the vessels. Other mods I use that globally modify vessels: TAC LS, FAR, MM to add Kerbal Engineer to all pods and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

Full output_log.txt: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62916890/output_log.txt

I can also provide a full list of mods if needed, but that would be a bit of work, especially the versions. Some other mods might also not be up to date, but I'm hesitant to introduce more changes compared to the last working configuration.

EDIT: so reverting fixed it, and although I didn't put the MM file back, the Ablative Shielding remains. I guess that landing those craft and then updating will solve the problem. But you might want to mention that in the OP.

Edited by Garek

snipit

Hmm it could be a conflict of MM files as I use some built in to the new version. I aslo(shortsightedly) used the same name for the new pod in its config as the last so it could be other conflicts w the old pod.

I would recommend landing flights using w the old pod then delete the old one when updating. Remember to delete the old radishinterior in the squad>spaces folder too. (It could be trying to load both IVAs if you didn't)

In any case thank you for the heads up and I'll update the OP ASAP

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work! In my career game, this is now the default capsule for anything beyond LKO (after all, I'm not sending a Kerbal to the Mün on his own, and using two smaller capsules lacks elegance).

An example of Bill and Bartdrin enjoying the capsule's comforts as they prepare to observe the dark side of the Mün:

duXdJ0T.png

(One minor point - the capsule has an icon in the staging menu which seems to serve no purpose.)

Excellent work! In my career game, this is now the default capsule for anything beyond LKO (after all, I'm not sending a Kerbal to the Mün on his own, and using two smaller capsules lacks elegance).

An example of Bill and Bartdrin enjoying the capsule's comforts as they prepare to observe the dark side of the Mün:

http://i.imgur.com/duXdJ0T.png

(One minor point - the capsule has an icon in the staging menu which seems to serve no purpose.)

Thanks, I hate sending kerbals alone too. (That's why I made it) But, it looks like you're using the older version of the pod from the spaceport. If you prefer this one it's fine but, just to let you know the newest version (On the first page) looks a lot better, especially the IVA, and has a lot more utility.

In any case happy flying ^^

P.S. I almost forgot, all stock pods other than probes, have that staging icon as far as I know. They always have in my games at least.

Edit: I was reading your mission report and saw you were having reentry troubles. That's one of the issues the old version pod had that was fixed with the latest update, as well as a built in heatshield. Just remember to land all your old flights using the old pod before updating.

Edited by Orionkermin

The aerodynamics of this pod with FAR is kinda screwy. It tends to orient the pod's primary axis perpendicular to the prograde vector once you hit the atmosphere in earnest... though fortunately, it is after the majority of shock heating.

The aerodynamics of this pod with FAR is kinda screwy. It tends to orient the pod's primary axis perpendicular to the prograde vector once you hit the atmosphere in earnest... though fortunately, it is after the majority of shock heating.

I'm pretty sure it's just that the center of mass is still a little too high and the pod is relatively lightweight for its height. So, its susceptible to getting the CoM raised a bit too much.

Here it is with just a mk 16 parachute on top...

2014-01-31_00002_zpsa767f6ee.jpg

...Now with just an rcs tank, docking port, and radial chute.

2014-01-31_00003_zpsd88ba887.jpg

Its moved up quite a bit towards the center. I'll probably drop the CoM further down in the next update, but the newest version still functions much better with FAR than the previous one did.

Edit: I was reading your mission report and saw you were having reentry troubles. That's one of the issues the old version pod had that was fixed with the latest update, as well as a built in heatshield. Just remember to land all your old flights using the old pod before updating.

New version downloaded (the better view from inside is appreciated).

Just wanted to say that I'm using this pod for all flights in my current save. I don't have 2.5m rockets yet, and I feel far more comfortable sending two Kerbals out to Minmus, than just a single one in the Stock 1.25m Pod. It's awesome!

A small request - would it be possible to remove the 2.5m node if the 1.25m node has already been used?

It's not a huge problem, but when attaching some parts to the bottom of the capsule, the other part's node can be confused with the capsule's lower node.

A small request - would it be possible to remove the 2.5m node if the 1.25m node has already been used?

It's not a huge problem, but when attaching some parts to the bottom of the capsule, the other part's node can be confused with the capsule's lower node.

No! I actively take advantage of this! Now, I would like to see the 2.5m node shrink some, but it's too useful. Now, a custom interstage adapter (with and without decoupler module) would be nice but the two nodes make for a nice way to hide a small service module for a gemini replica. To see what I mean, check out Chapter Two of Fourteen Flags, here.

Also, the IVA cam where you can see your kerbals terrified faces in the lower right does not work. My guess is that it has something to do with how little room in front of them the kerbals have and so the camera view is ending up inside the model somewhere. Only solutions I know of is figure out how to reposition that (possible? dunno.) or remodel the interior to push them back a bit, or forward (may require tweaking exterior model too then).

@Captain Sierra

That's really strange the IVA cam has always worked for me. In fact the entire front of the IVA space is a separate object in the internal spaces layer specifically so that the little cameras work properly.

2014-02-03_00002_zpsf329cafd.jpg

Does anybody else have this issue?

@S4qFBxkFFg

I know what you mean, I have a little trick that works most of the time in that situation. When you're adding a part and it looks like it could attach to the pods bottom node, after it first snaps to the node, nudge it up just a tad and if it sticks up higher your in the right spot.

IVA works fine by me. Now if could stop the pilots screaming all the time might be good but hey ;)

Also I too use the 1.25 port for stuff (usually a LES or life support) while mounting the pod on 2.5m rockets/spaceplanes. Yes I use this pod as a cockpit, gives a handy life boat in space in case of hilarious disaster.

New version is out! I want to thank everyone who helped me out in the R&D thread. The support and reception that the Spud received was way beyond my expectations. Without your feedback both good and bad I wouldn't be able to produce at the quality level that I have so thank you!

Keep an eye on the R&D thread, I'll update it when I have something new to show off. :wink:

Thanks so much for this pod.

I am using ECLSS and have an MM cfg from NewHorizons that has the line

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]
{

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1650
maxAmount = 1650
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CO2
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1485
}

RESOURCE
{
name = O2 Candle
amount = 1
maxAmount = 1
}

MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

MODULE
{
name = TankPriorityModule
Priority = 10
}

}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[2]]
{

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 3300
maxAmount = 3300
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CO2
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2970
}

RESOURCE
{
name = O2 Candle
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}

MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

MODULE
{
name = TankPriorityModule
Priority = 10
}

}

to give any command pod LS, but it doesn't seem to work with the Radish or Spud.

Can I just type a line in somewhere to give the pod LS?

Thank you for your time.

Hmm, I'm not very familiar with ECLSS, but let's see. The first thing I would try is to delete the module manager files that add TAC life support functionality as that may be causing the error. You can find each of those in the respective pod's mod folder. So for example HGR>Parts>Radish>Mod then delete the "lifesupport.cfg." You'll have to do that for both pods. Let me know if that fixes the problem and if not we can try something else.

This also makes me realize i need to organize my module manager files better in the next release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.