[0.25] 6S Service Compartment Tubes - "Design smooth!"

nothke

I don't know if it is conflicting with another mod, but I can only open and close the doors when in the VAB and not during flight, I right click the part and no toggable options are there, it just shows the number of parts shielded. Anyone else having the same issue?

You can only open the doors during EVA when you approach with a Kerbal, you cannot open the door from the ship. Many have commented on the limitation, but IMO it gives a nice touch to the parts, as the doors aren't powered, and shouldn't really be used as "cargo bays", look at it more like a "power box" just for storing rarely accessed utilities =)

If you really want to, you can open up .cfg of the parts and set the parameter "availableInVessel" to true

I don't know if it is conflicting with another mod, but I can only open and close the doors when in the VAB and not during flight, I right click the part and no toggable options are there, it just shows the number of parts shielded. Anyone else having the same issue?

Here is a patch if you want to use stock ModuleAnimateGeneric

@PART[SerCom1m]
{
!MODULE[FSanimateGeneric] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = DoorAnim2

startEventGUIName = Open service hatch
endEventGUIName = Close service hatch
actionGUIName = Toggle service hatch
}
}

@PART[SerCom2]
{
!MODULE[FSanimateGeneric] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = DoorAnim

startEventGUIName = Open service hatch
endEventGUIName = Close service hatch
actionGUIName = Toggle service hatch
}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, my space wagon needed a trunk. :)

Really neat anyway. I always thought that batteries, science modules and various appendages looked ugly, and even if you clip them in with the offset with the new editor, you can't reach them manually anymore.

So basically it's a big yay for the space trunk. :D

I tried searching for an update to firespitter, but haven't had any luck, everything I see is 24.2!

Can you post a link?

Here you go https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/blob/master/For%20release/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll?raw=true

EDIT- And here if you want to use stock Module http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61040-0-25-6S-Service-Compartment-Tubes-Design-smooth%21?p=1580040&viewfull=1#post1580040

Edited by Mecripp2

Hey Nothke, the service compartment tubes behave exceptionally oddly when using the offset tool. Parts move around unpredictably and rarely displace in straight lines. I assume it's because of the 'tube' nature that completely breaks the game's mind.

Well, it is distributed on Curse (and mediafire...), so unfortunately our robots would not automatically pick up new releases.

I'll write up a 1.3 file later on.

-----

And available via CKAN now...

Edited by hakan

Ok, I do not have Firespitter from before. Where do I save this .dll file? Just inside GameData or should I make a folder named "Firespitter"?

Ok, I do not have Firespitter from before. Where do I save this .dll file? Just inside GameData or should I make a folder named "Firespitter"?

The standard location is GameData/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll. If you put it there, you're less likely to accidentally duplicate it by installing another mod that distributes it at the standard path.

This is one of my favourite mods, I have been using it since version .22! Do you think you could make a 3M service compartment? Or maybe a taller version that equals 2 units stacked together to cut down on part cost? That would kick so awesome.

The standard location is GameData/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll. If you put it there, you're less likely to accidentally duplicate it by installing another mod that distributes it at the standard path.
thx, i'll try that.

Question:

When I attach the compartment to my craft in the VAB, it always starts with the door open. I cannot close this door by right-clicking on it in the VAB, nor can I do it before launch (as it requires EVA.)

How do I close the door in the VAB, or make the part spawn with the closed door to begin with? Or am I facing a bug? All I get when right-clicking the part is "shielded number(or something like that) = [number of parts in compartment]" and "isshielded=false".

Question:

When I attach the compartment to my craft in the VAB, it always starts with the door open. I cannot close this door by right-clicking on it in the VAB, nor can I do it before launch (as it requires EVA.)

How do I close the door in the VAB, or make the part spawn with the closed door to begin with? Or am I facing a bug? All I get when right-clicking the part is "shielded number(or something like that) = [number of parts in compartment]" and "isshielded=false".

The shielded stuff is FAR-related and is telling you that the tube itself is not shielded, and that it is shielding the parts inside (but you already knew that ;)). Someone posted a .cfg above which converts these to the stock moduleAnimateGeneric. If you are not using these, then they require firespitter for the animation. Make sure you have an up-to-date copy of the firespitter plugin.

Ah, I took that one out since I wasn't interested. Will just redownload the mod I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, still a problem. When I select the part an animation actually occurs where the doors open immediately. Cannot close them in the VAB later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.