[0.25] 6S Service Compartment Tubes - "Design smooth!"

nothke

So, that mod pretty much become stock.

Do you guys think that stock service bays are better than ones from this mod or on the contrary?

I personally liked the idea of manually opening dors by kerbal only.

I like this one better (no endcaps, for one thing), but haven't been using it for fear of how the new aero will interact.

but haven't been using it for fear of how the new aero will interact.

based on what? It would need the new cargo bay module to shield stuff (under stock aero) but other than that I can't foresee see a problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do they provide aero shielding?

Here is a file that has the stock aero shield on the parts and texture converted to DDS https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/DDS/Nothke_SerCom_v1.3.5.zip

All credit to nothke Licence https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Unzip there is two files one is if you want to use the Firespitter plugin and then there is one that uses ModuleAnimateGeneric pick one and open it and copy NothkeSerCom to KSP/GameData

Fixed the nodes and added

maxTemp = 2600
bulkheadProfiles = size1
heatConductivity = 0.04
thermalMassModifier = 5.0
emissiveConstant = 0.95

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 0.9

//nodeOuterForeID = top
//nodeOuterAftID = bottom
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConductionMultiplier
modifiedConductionFactor = 0.001
convectionFluxThreshold = 500
}

• 4 weeks later...
anyone care to have a go at updating a__gun's extra tube sizes? My initial attempts have failed - I can't toggle the door animations alothough I replaced the animation module with one from mecripp's updated configs. Don't know what to do for lookupRadius either on the taller/bigger sizes.

The door animations use Firespitter.dll and you need an updated version compatible with KSP 1.0.x. I tried with the version of Firespitter RoverDude has updated and embedded with his add-ons (e.g. with UKS) and it works fine if copied in the Firespitter folder.

Then, most of the config data need updating as well, can see nodes not attaching with those extra tube parts. With KSP 1.0 node directionality was introduced, so they only allow attachment from the correct (e.g. upwards or downwards) direction now, while previously there was no check. Could be just as simple as to reverse the 5th 1.0 to -1.0 in the node definition (seems to me all these parts have the bottom node direction reversed), but I had no time to test.

EDIT: did a few tests about the node directionality, however without success yet. Even using the same directions Squad parts show in their configs. Something else to try for sure.

EDIT2: talked too early and without seeing many parts had to be tweaked in the same config. The reversed -1.0 5th value for the bottom node is all that is needed. Pls find an updated working config for those extra tubes here.

Edited by diomedea

great start! There are some additional values that need to be added based on MeCripp's update to the original tubes:

maxTemp = 2600
bulkheadProfiles = size1
heatConductivity = 0.04
emissiveConstant = 0.95

I've gone and added these fields (maxTemp is modified from 1500 to 2600) to all the extra tubes parts, changing the bulkhead size to 2 for 2.5m and 3 for 3.75m parts. Is that proper?

Also not sure how to configure these two modules:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 0.9

//nodeOuterForeID = top
}
MODULE
{
}

great start! There are some additional values that need to be added based on MeCripp's update to the original tubes:

maxTemp = 2600
bulkheadProfiles = size1
heatConductivity = 0.04
emissiveConstant = 0.95

I've gone and added these fields (maxTemp is modified from 1500 to 2600) to all the extra tubes parts, changing the bulkhead size to 2 for 2.5m and 3 for 3.75m parts. Is that proper?

Also not sure how to configure these two modules:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 0.9

//nodeOuterForeID = top
}
MODULE
{
}

Ah, there is where that "lookupRadius" value is from (could not find it in the original "ExtraTubes" config, of course). Well, can see all those additional entries were made to replicate the behaviour of the ServiceBays in stock.

If you check the two stock ServiceBays (1.25 and 2.50 m, under "GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/ServiceBay/..."), "lookupRadius" is respectively set to 0.9 and 1.8, bulkheadProfiles = size1 and size2 (all other values same as MeCripp entries, but for maxTemp = 2900).

The above tells me proper values for a 3.75m serviceBay, or the extraTubes that are very similar parts, would be "lookupRadius = 2.7" and "bulkheadProfiles = size3". Can't see other changes required.

Ah, there is where that "lookupRadius" value is from (could not find it in the original "ExtraTubes" config, of course). Well, can see all those additional entries were made to replicate the behaviour of the ServiceBays in stock.

If you check the two stock ServiceBays (1.25 and 2.50 m, under "GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/ServiceBay/..."), "lookupRadius" is respectively set to 0.9 and 1.8, bulkheadProfiles = size1 and size2 (all other values same as MeCripp entries, but for maxTemp = 2900).

The above tells me proper values for a 3.75m serviceBay, or the extraTubes that are very similar parts, would be "lookupRadius = 2.7" and "bulkheadProfiles = size3". Can't see other changes required.

Most excellent!

In case anyone got lost in our back and forth, here is the updated .cfg with the additional modules plugged in

UPDATE: Change 1, 1.6, 1 to 0.8, 1.6, 0.8 for the scale parameter of the extra tube sizes. Use the offset tool to work around the nodes issue

Edited by Gaiiden

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad that the bottom node bug has been already discovered, i was going to submit a fix too..Gaiiden an you please explain what is going on with that cfg? I don't understand what it does and where should i put it (looked back in the comments but no clue :\)

Just stick it anywhere in GameData, I put it in the 6S folder with the rest of the part configs.

Note - there are still issues with node placement. The tubes will stack lower than they should. I haven't bothered fixing them because I only have this setup as a patch for my existing craft and don't plan to use the tubes anymore now that there are stock cargo bays

• 4 weeks later...
probably not, but everything we've patched up makes them work fine. Although the nodes are a bit deep inside the tubes, using the offset tool to get them flush with whatever you attach them to works just fine

Ok, then...would it be,smart to just turn the patches into a whole new,mod?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Kadrush said:

Was this mod abandoned? I like it idea but have some issues with stacking stuff above and bellow the service bays supplied with it

Its a simple part mod, so it should still work... ONE caveat tho: If you downloaded a pre-1.0.x version, and I'm guessing thats what you did, based on the issue you describe, the node_stack lines need minor editing in the .cfg files.

Open each .cfg file in a simple text editor, and swap the "-" sign on the 5th number (should 1.0 and -1.0)...then save the file...

You should be good to go with that

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Its a simple part mod, so it should still work... ONE caveat tho: If you downloaded a pre-1.0.x version, and I'm guessing thats what you did, based on the issue you describe, the node_stack lines need minor editing in the .cfg files.

Open each .cfg file in a simple text editor, and swap the "-" sign on the 5th number (should 1.0 and -1.0)...then save the file...

You should be good to go with that

mine is ckan version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.