[0.25] 6S Service Compartment Tubes - "Design smooth!"

nothke

Without the firespitter.dll, they simply work as hollow bits to put stuff in? Not going to do wonky things like not using the toolbar plugin with the latest Infernal Robotics?

I'd like to have the doors on these openable without needing to EVA a Kerbal. Imagine mounting an Infernal Robotics hydraulic cylinder inside one to extend an antenna, or using them horizontally as landing gear bays, or even just using the doors as landing legs.

Without the firespitter.dll, they simply work as hollow bits to put stuff in? Not going to do wonky things like not using the toolbar plugin with the latest Infernal Robotics?

I'd like to have the doors on these openable without needing to EVA a Kerbal. Imagine mounting an Infernal Robotics hydraulic cylinder inside one to extend an antenna, or using them horizontally as landing gear bays, or even just using the doors as landing legs.

You can go into the config file and change the EVA-only bit for the doors. Don't remember the specific name for it though.

Is it possible to make a plate to fit on the top and bottom as well? I think that would look better than just attaching them to whatever is above the thing.

That would make it difficult to stack them. Just use an adapter or an SAS module or something.

Would it be possible to mod a part that is functionally similar to this, except it abstracts the individual service parts that don't need to be physically simulated or rendered?

That would probably be very, very hard to do. You can achieve this effect with this mod and the UbioZur welding plugin, but it'd be very impractical to do it that way.

That would probably be very, very hard to do. You can achieve this effect with this mod and the UbioZur welding plugin, but it'd be very impractical to do it that way.

I was thinking something similar to the way Modular Fuels works; i.e you'd have some UI function in the VAB to add parts to a SM (Which is just a non-hollow cylinder part), which then simply adds the mass of the part to the SM, and the SM assumes the newly added part's behavior - so say you added a bunch of small batteries to a service module, the SM part would increase its mass and give itself electrical storage to simulate their presence. That should be easily doable with the current resource system.

Could we then add the behavior of other part-modules to the SM part? Sensors and communications equipment would probably be most relevant. It doesn't sound like this would be outside the scope of an addon, but then again, what do I know?

Thanx so much for this mod....

Up to this point, I have been using the large stock ASAS part in this way, by stuffing the small spherical RCS/fuel tanks, RTGs, batteries, mechjeb, Engineer parts, etc in....Basically anything that would fit...But it is hard to get things in there exactly symmetrical...

Thanx a bunch. :)

I was thinking something similar to the way Modular Fuels works; i.e you'd have some UI function in the VAB to add parts to a SM (Which is just a non-hollow cylinder part), which then simply adds the mass of the part to the SM, and the SM assumes the newly added part's behavior - so say you added a bunch of small batteries to a service module, the SM part would increase its mass and give itself electrical storage to simulate their presence. That should be easily doable with the current resource system.

Could we then add the behavior of other part-modules to the SM part? Sensors and communications equipment would probably be most relevant. It doesn't sound like this would be outside the scope of an addon, but then again, what do I know?

You want to be able to add part modules on the fly. It could be done...I don't know how to code it.

Is there any way to make them longer? As much as i like the look and idea, i also find them very much not practical. In most cases i would love to use few stacked, but it's getting part count out of hand really fast.

Are you considering possibility of including some more variety in terms of height, or maybe even borrowing some code from procedural fairing mod to include such feature here?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.