Matching the height of docking ports on Mun base modules?

As the title implies, I'm trying to build a Mun base with the Kethane mod and a few others. I can't, for the life of me, match the height of the docking ports needed accurately enough to make them usable on the Mun. I could try building a mock on Kerbal, but it isn't taking into account the differences in gravity, and thus, the sag any suspension (whether from wheels or lander legs) would have.

What do you guys suggest?

Mostly people doing this via, Top-Down method. And via the plane wheels (or landing gear), which help raise and lower the part with port attaching to it..

"Invisible force" strike almost every-times on low gravity such as Mun docking success attempt. Solution, backup your quicksave-file before attempting docking. Hit quicksave immediately after a successful docking. Then reload the save file. and you are fine. - Hope this help,

Edited by Sirine

All of my munar base modules were of similar design, and so were affected similarly by gravity and terrain. I only had a problem once, and moved to flatter ground to get a link (the modules have wheels). Find the flattest landing site you can.

I made a base subassmembly for my Mun Station. Nothing more then a fuel tank with 4 fuselages sticking out, that has docking ports at the end. Then I added wheels and gear so that when the gear is extended the wheels are also just barely touching the ground. it allows me to drive the section over to the base and still have everything lined up. Above the Subassembly base I switch out things in the VAB.

The omniwheel from TT Modular Multiwheels. I haven't checked to make sure it still works in 0.22, but I've used it to great effect in earlier versions of KSP for modular base building. Being able to move in any direction and adjust the height is wonderful for that kind of work.

I made a base subassmembly for my Mun Station. Nothing more then a fuel tank with 4 fuselages sticking out, that has docking ports at the end. Then I added wheels and gear so that when the gear is extended the wheels are also just barely touching the ground. it allows me to drive the section over to the base and still have everything lined up. Above the Subassembly base I switch out things in the VAB.

This. My Jeb is currently alone in my first Mun base which is done this way. The downside is that the part count of the station is quite high, but easy modular assembly is just so satisfying.

• 4 months later...

Try locking the suspension on the landing legs before you deploy them, that way there is no sag relative to the weight of the modules although you need to be careful to make sure the legs are all the same height and maybe add a few extras just in case since now almost all the weight of the modules is now balanced on the lowest landing legs in the cluster, any discrepancy will cause the legs to snap, and if one goes they'll likely all break. Also when building the moonbase assemble all the components in the VAB and then extend all the legs, place the full moonbase so the feet are just touching the floor of the VAB and examine each foot to make sure its not either floating above or clipping through the surface. Hey presto, an accurately built reliable moonbase, although the tough part comes when you're docking them together, since you cant move the base towards its counterpart on landing legs, so you have to either;

1-have downward pointing docking ports attached to extended booms on the central core (the first module to land) then have the secondary modules with docking ports on the tops roll along underneath the central core and then the legs lift them into the docking position

2-Have the a conventional docking port configuration (on the sides) and roll the secondary modules almost tight up to the central core, unlock the suspension on the far side of the module and lock up the suspension on the near side then lower the legs, the module should now lean away from the main core, then lock up the legs on the far side and the suspension will force the docking ports together.

Assuming you're on nice flat ground these techniques should help you but since you'll be using locked suspension make sure the ground is very flat otherwise problems can arise.

Edit: sorry for the necro

Edited by FREEFALL1984

Surely, something you can do is to build the entire base in the editor. Then break it down into smaller parts for launch? Would that help a bit, unless that is something you already do? It will not compensate for the suspension/weight issue, but at least all the ports are completely lined up.

You could always try to construct it on one of Minmus' flat 'seas' to test the sag of the suspension first.

i place 1 random route part and build the whole base in the VAB normally in the SPH tho when its a surface base then put each section in the sub assembly and launch each section 1 by 1 into orbit and take them all to the destination using a tug that way u know everything matches up perfectly then the hard part is landing them close enough without to crashing into them ... math is a pain to exact sometimes lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.