I represent an interstellar civilization, What does Earth offer for export?

nhnifong

[quote name='Panzerbeard']I don't know about that.. I'm pretty sure the Kerbals have become thoroughly proficient in the arts of duct-taping and duct-tape production by now.[/QUOTE]
Um... Obviously! We could offer them Kerbin's coordinates!

Not sure if I or someone else has suggested this...

BUT..... we have way too many politicians (I really hope this word isn't banned) terrorists (there, I said it!) to export....

you can have the lot for.... one dollar.... and that is all we are willing to pay you to take them away... :)

hmmm. The OP poses an interesting question. I guess it all depends on what the demand is from the other side. Most likely they'd like stuff that we have that you can't easily find in other places around space. Raw materials seems unlikely. Most of the stuff that can be found on earth can be found elsewhere on other planets. Heck, even martian soil isn't that different from earth soil (barring the presence of perchlorate salts).

The only real thing that comes to mind that might be interesting is either

a) large quantities of refined or highly concentrated materials. But only if for some reason said materials are rare or highly valuable to our partners

b) Anything which absolutely requires earth-like conditions to be formed. If it's easier/cheaper to perform the manufacturing process here on earth and then transport to someplace else rather then creating earth-like conditions someplace else and manufacturing there, then you have a good scenario for trade. Of course, for this to happen, our trade partners would need to live in radically different conditions than us. There is also the possibility that stuff that we consider simple by-product might be very valuable to our trade partners. That also opens up trade possibilities.

Basically it all comes down to perception. What does earth have to offer? Anything and everything that you find and that our trade partners would value highly. Whether or not we'd be willing to part with it is another question of course, but my money would be on "stuff that requires earth-like conditions and/or human interference to be created".

Some things that they might seek or we might offer, the specifics to be left to the imagination of the reader:

- hospitable environment compatible to their needs
- military staging area and supporting manpower
- a workforce more flexible than robots, selfmaintaining and easy to reproduce
- lifestock/prey/hosts for parasitic reproduction (dead homeworld, trip on generation ship to long already, etc.)
- biological compounds of medicinal value
- stories/intellectual exchange/answers to their big questions
- another perspective on life, the universe and everything
- ancient artifacts (ancient astronaut cult, no matter if true or not)
- new food for the minds of a species that has explored itself and its world completely
- company in the wide empty void
- someone to take care for
- refuge for their offspring (from war, plague, etc.)
- someone to remember their dying species

• 2 weeks later...

Flat Earthers/Any idiots, you could harvest them to your Black Hole for power, and in return, there would be less idiots in the world (Plus, if Black Holes lead to another Universe, that's their problem, not ours).

Edited by Spaceception

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.