Rob (N3X15)

ilikemoneygreen

Just an observation but it looks like Rob (N3X15) is no longer with Squad. On the About Page it lists him as being Legacy and now looking at his profile on here it looks like hes no longer a dev. I gotta say this guy was great, I hope hes going on to bigger and better things. Thank you for your hard work Rob!

On that note, I wonder if Squad is going to hire another person with the skillset that Rob brought to the table. It seemed like he was great on the Unity side of things. I really hope they bring in a guy who can optimize code and put in certain systems like Rob did.

*With that said let me say that this thread is not a Why. DO NOT DISCUSS WHY. We know he is no longer a dev, so please wish him well below and let him know you loved his work and move on. This thread is not a place for the discussion of reasons. Those threads never end well. This is my thread not yours, do not change the topic to that.*

Whenever devs leave projects like this, I always just like to assume they've gotten too busy and are off fighting dinosaurs in space or something.

Do hope things are well for everyone involved. Projects pulling in talent from a range of skill sets and places can be a real challenge to manage and keep together.

I don't have any special knowledge - just what has been mentioned in public - but Rob only turned 18 a while back and I assume that college and the like are taking up all his time.

I bet he does well wherever he goes - his energy and coding ability are exceptional!

I don't have any special knowledge - just what has been mentioned in public - but Rob only turned 18 a while back and I assume that college and the like are taking up all his time.

I bet he does well wherever he goes - his energy and coding ability are exceptional!

What I heard, and from a reliable source, is that SQUAD fired him for messing up with the code in Space Port 2. Considering we've had 2 community managers fired, one rehired and then fired again, something tells me Squad got a little short with N3X15 for whatever reason. I've watched his streams, and he is a pretty nice guy, really funny.

What I heard, and from a reliable source, is that SQUAD fired him for messing up with the code in Space Port 2. Considering we've had 2 community managers fired, one rehired and then fired again, something tells me Squad got a little short with N3X15 for whatever reason. I've watched his streams, and he is a pretty nice guy, really funny.

And what is that reliable source?

I think it is just the worry that Squad could turn into some awfull Employee-Abusing Development Company what drives these Threads.

Without any Background-Knowledge, you cant even predict in which direction Squad is "developing"... but you know what? I am fairly happy that Squad does not talk about Employee-Matters.

Imagine your boss would shout it from the rooftops what you did wrong and why they fired you. That does not mean that Nexis did anything wrong but it is a thing to discuss that falls clearly under the Privacy of Nexis and Squad even.

My 5cents to this are:

-Nexis, thank you what you have done for us by contributing to this Project

-Squad, please keep in mind that huge fluctuation of employees brings a bad taste to your name.

-Squad, please keep in mind that huge fluctuation of employees brings a bad taste to your name.

People always assume that people disappearing off the dev team means that they got fired.

Nobody ever considers that these people probably finished an intern job with SQUAD, or probably got a better job offer elsewhere. Which in these cases are good things because it means they are going off to a better future with something as awesome of having worked with SQUAD on your resume.

Nobody ever considers that these people probably finished an intern job with SQUAD, or probably got a better job offer elsewhere. Which in these cases are good things because it means they are going off to a better future with something as awesome of having worked with SQUAD on your resume.

Me and rob were the only interns. Rob was definitely fired (on 4chan, he said he made some big mistake, and it was enough for him to get kicked out), and I left for reasons of my own. Actually, Claira might be an intern too, but she's a student, so doesn't have a lot of time for KSP anymore. At least, that's what I remember.

How much of Squad is actually 'in office' together, and how many are working off site? I had always gotten the impression that it was a mix with the core team working out of an actual office and additional staff/interns telecommuting in.

But I have to say that telecommuting based teams are a really interesting beast of their own, and can really change rapidly. One project that I've been contracting with for QA testing has changed so much that me and the other QA guy are now the most senior members of the project with everyone else having been replaced through natural attrition. People have come and gone, some rather rapidly, but it just ended up that the two lowest guys on the project randomly ended up being the two most experienced guys with the project itself. (Which is great for my bank account.)

Highly virtual teams are hard things to run well. Very prone to miscommunications, very weird office dynamics, and very low loyalty drive. You're not seeing people face to face, and don't build nearly as much attachment with coworkers. This in turn can lead to more slacking and caring less about projects, and rapid ship jumping as people dodge around looking out for themselves and not the company's welfare. So when there is a fairly high turn over it isn't really something that is an outright bad sign or suggestion that things are going wrong, but merely the nature of things. It is easier to find people when you can accept applications from all over the world, and it is easier to slip away from a group when you've never actually seen someone face to face and therefore don't have to feel any guilt when they look at you while you're boxing up your stuff because you've changed jobs for an extra dollar an hour.

Not sure what a "procedural mistake" is, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing one would be let go for - especially if the product/company has benefited greatly from other things you'd done (which it has).

Many thanks for your work, N3X15. I always appreciated it from afar.

Yeah, I had kinda interpreted it in non-computing terms, rather than "I wrote a procedure that accidentally wiped out the source code and the backups. Whoopsie!" :P

Being let go for what is essentially protocol... yeah, that sucks a fat one. Can't imagine there's been too much damage.

Much love for Rob.

as a process engineer, i have seen many well-intended actions that violated process result in dismissal...and because it was processes i had designed, i was not unhappy that action was taken...

I once included a corrective action clause in an IT policy that stated that on second offense, the offender would be "...tarred and feathered in public..." just to see if any senior management was reading the policy documents before signing them. Four of six vice presidents signed without reading....

...they were tarred and feathered as a result...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.