[WIP] Wetworks Crew Tanks

Lunaran

The plugin is fustificated. The ejected panels now get dragged through space sideways (whaat) and after switching to the spaceport and back to a vessel with a converted tank, the right-click menu stops working (whyy).

The IVA is also fustificated. I gave up on it last time because despite getting the inside lined up with the outside correctly, the sunlight came in the windows incorrectly transposed (wtfff) and one (only one) of the props would also take on the transformation of one of the other props and rotate entirely outside the spacecraft (fffffrrghgh). I threw that away and started over with a clean unity project and fresh tools installs, remade and reexported everything, and the same things are wrong.

This game, man.

Well, "solved" one problem. The sun transposition is actually a stock bug:

FG6apqZ.gif

THIS GAME, MAN.

Just checking in to say that I am aware of this mod and that some folks would like CLS support for it. To make this possible I need to add a little hook to CLS first, which I am looking into doing at the moment.

\o/

Reorienting the model won't fix it in all cases, because it also involves how transformations are inherited through the part chain from the root. I got the sun to appear at different angles in the cockpit, with the cockpit always upright and pointed west, by attaching it to the vessel differently.

Porkjet suggested I just put an alpha'd window pane in each window and mark them as shadowcasters. I might just do that, although I like the way you can sometimes see the sun on the Kerbals' faces in the Mk2 Pod crew thumbnails (even though it's apparently wrong).

hey look:

ITnnj6H.jpg

Needs more props - conduits, hooks and rungs, more visibly stored equipment and supplies instead of just labeled lockers. Some of those wacky post-it notes. You know.

The lower tank is too small for anything other than storage, so once the tank is empty I'm saying that the magic invisible conversion process involves screwing in equipment locker doors. I'd leave it sealed and just say it's a poop tank like Skylab but I have to explain vertical passability if you stack two 16s or put a 16 on top of a 32 or whatever. and everyone knows kerbals don't poop anyway.

It needs to look a little more constructed-in-space, too, because right now I don't think I'm selling the fiction that this used to be an empty fuel tank that Kerbals just moved into. The big snack lockers could be collapsible? and I guess the chairs would be okay just being immersed in LOX for the trip. It's a bit of a shame that all the neat stored stuff is only visible in the VAB on the top of the part, right before you stick something else on top of it, but most of that stuff wouldn't be stored IN the tank while there's fuel in it ...

I'm trying to keep the supernerds content, but I also want each wetworks self-contained as one part.

Going out of town for a week so I'm posting what I have and calling it 0.13. Hope it ain't broken.

- Built against 0.25

- Support for ConnectedLivingSpace

- First pass IVA for the AKWW-16

- Fixed divide-by-zero behavior with TAC Fuel Balancer after conversion

- Visual tweaks

OP updated. (MechJeb might also be fixed but I haven't tested it yet.)

These are great parts! I haven't used the newest (0.13) parts yet, but I bet (hope) they work fine ^.^

Keep up the good work Lunaran :)

EDIT:

Found a bug, I don't know if it's cause of SCANSAT or anything, but the 0.13 parts think they're something that, they're clearly, are not (related to SCANSAT, I have no clue what it thinks it is, but I fixed it!). I fixed it by using the 0.12 DLL from this mod, for 0.13.

The bug: the tanks didn't drain/convert until i reverted to 0.12 DLL. Also, when I right click, there was a whole bunch of SCANSAT non-sense, everything was fixed by reverting to 0.12 DLL. Anyone else had this problem?

Loving the new interiors though!

Edited by Night Lone
Bug Report

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope this mod is still alive! I use it all the time. Also, I messed around with the cfg files and made the AKWW-32 use the same 3 kerbal IVA as the AKWW-16, but can function as a Science Lab (requires 3 kerbals instead of 2 like the stock lab)

I also noticed the window cover is missing from the AKWW-32 when it starts as a fuel tank.

Huh, I like the idea.

It would certainly make station building much easier

Yup! That's what I like to do. Setting up a station around another planet is a one way trip anyway. It's nice to repurpose the fuel tanks once you arrive. Put some docking ports on it, maybe a small lander, and a probe core so there is a lot less to take with you on the crewed mission.

My problem now is that I sometimes loose the right click menu on the converted AKWW-32 lab. I probably did something wrong in the config.

• 1 month later...

Seems incompatible with Interstellar Fuel Switch on 1.0.2, at least that's what it seems like for now. "Dump remaining fuel" does nothing. Will try to disable IFS for those tanks and will report.

Edit: w/o IFS it doesn't work either. Sad. Will also try to disable GPO fuel pump just for giggles.

Edit 2: doesn't work in 1.0.2 - moreover, even when I place just some kerbal-filled part and wet tank, this construction starts to shake on launch pad. If I use HyperEdit to teleport it to some orbit, it starts to rotate wildly. I can kill rotation with MJ2, but every time when I start and stop time wrap, it starts to rotate even more madly. Spooky.

Edited by cipherpunks

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

2 bugs:

1. The tanks can only connect to the bottom of other parts
  2. The tanks immediately fall through all other parts.

node_stack's probably just need to be fixed in .cfgs, hopefully....

EDIT: I was just going to take a look at the .cfgs, but I see there is no license posted, so I dont see much point in spending any time trying to get 'em working...

Too bad, as these look pretty nice... And I bet a bunch of time went into the volume/mass calculations, and most definately in the IVAs... Oh well... Some mods are just destined to stay dead, I guess...

Edited by Stone Blue

16 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

node_stack's probably just need to be fixed in .cfgs, hopefully....

EDIT: I was just going to take a look at the .cfgs, but I see there is no license posted, so I dont see much point in spending any time trying to get 'em working...

Too bad, as these look pretty nice... And I bet a bunch of time went into the volume/mass calculations, and most definately in the IVAs... Oh well... Some mods are just destined to stay dead, I guess...

I had updated the node_stack's 6th number to fix the tanks not connecting to the bottom of other parts, and was still using this mod.  I forget when these parts starting have other parts "fall" through them.  It was either 1.0.x, or when I installed the fuel switching mod. 

I think Lunaran had released the source code to this mod, and I took a look at it.  It seems that the cfg file had both the [Resource] details for fuel and oxidizer and the [Module] details for crew.  Looks like the code would remove the Crew [Module] details when it loaded if "converted" was false, and it would delete the [Resource] details if the "converted" was true.  This would happen when the game loaded the part.  (Hence it was possible to put Kerbals in the fueled part from within the VAB.)  The right click button to convert was removed from the context menu if "converted" = true.  When the right click convert button was pushed, that would play an animation (that ejected the window covers) and then it would add in the [Module] details for crew habitation and remove the [Resource] details from the loaded part and set "converted" to true.  Then that would get saved in the persistent file.  

I can't figure out how to get this running again, but I wish someone could. (why do other parts fall through the wetworks part?)  If there was a license I wish this could be transferred to someone with the skill to get it running again.  The wetworkshop concept is less science fiction that other parts of the game which are stock (such as nuclear engines).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.