[WIP] Wetworks Crew Tanks

Lunaran

Fuel tanks! Crew cabins! One part! You know how these work. Go recreate the Apollo Venus flyby.

3wnxCXJ.jpg

What It Is

Currently includes two parts, one matching the Rockomax 16 and another matching the 32 (pictured). Once they're empty of fuel, they can be converted. Launch mass matches the equivalent Rockomax tanks, but doesn't bear quite as much fuel because some space is left aside for all the necessary gear. Dry mass matches the equivalent number of Hitchhiker tanks, but since it's less efficient to live in a fuel tank than a dedicated space, crew capacity is also slightly lessened.

Right now, conversion is instant. Disposable panels seal the portholes and airlock, and pop off when the tank is converted. Try not to cover them up.

Known Bugs

It's possible to put Kerbals in the unconverted fuel tank from within the VAB or the launch dialog. This currently seems to break the module, so please avoid drowning your Kerbonauts in UDMH and kill them the conventional way.

The sun comes in the windows of the IVA at entirely the wrong angle. This is a stock bug.

The protective panels, once ejected, move through space weirdly if you're in orbit. This is also a stock bug (happens with solar panel bits to a lesser extent).

I had to pull some shenanigans to make just the science modules vanish and come back correctly in a save-compatible way. Unconverted fuel tanks might magically become able to store crew reports after a lot of flying about, or tanks might not gain those abilities after conversion. If anybody sees this happen, let me know how you made it happen.

License

88x31.png

History

- Built against 0.25

- Support for ConnectedLivingSpace

- First pass IVA for the AKWW-16

- Fixed divide-by-zero behavior with TAC Fuel Balancer after conversion

- Visual tweaks

0.12 - 12/22/2013

- Update to 0.23.

- Fix for weird CoM nonsense when combined with Procedural Fairings.

0.11 - 12/10/2013

- Fix for cover panel ejection magically smashing far away solar panels.

0.1 - 12/9/2013

- Added HW16 and HW32 tanks. Prelim WIP plugin release.

Edited by Lunaran
Download link removed by moderator

This thing looks really great, but when you convert it into a crew module any solar panels you have attached get broken.

Fixed! OP updated with new download link.

Download 0.11

Good to see someone picked up this idea again. You can take it and run with it. In fact, if you're not using it already, you can have my code.

Thanks! I had mostly implemented it already, and then found the thread while googling "wet workshop" to look for reference images. go research.

Very cool! The model looks amazing.

Your 'known bugs' also kind of apply to an inflatable hab I'm making. I'll let you know when I have a solution.

Thank you! Changing part.crewCapacity in OnStart(state.editor) doesn't work for you either, I guess? I was going to try forcibly modifying the master part in PartLoader next, curious if you tried that.

This is looking really cool, it's good that we now have other mod introducing wet workshops after NovaSilisko's. Keep up the good work :)

My 2cents:

- Maybe before doing proper IVA use this from the Hitchkiker as a placeholder?

- Will it be integrated with the tech tree?

Thanks a lot for this mod. I made a lovely command station for remotetech with your mod. Works like a charm even in Career. Can't wait to test it in .23!

EDIT: It works fine in .23 :) Maybe the covers fly off a little too quickly after conversion, but I'll have to test it some more.

1024x768.resizedimage

Edited by TheBedla

So I feel like I shouldn't be panicking so soon, but is this still being worked on? (Just curious about the lack of posts from the author?)

EDIT: I feel like that really doesn't need to be asked yet, but hey, you never know right?

So I feel like I shouldn't be panicking so soon, but is this still being worked on? (Just curious about the lack of posts from the author?)

EDIT: I feel like that really doesn't need to be asked yet, but hey, you never know right?

Breaking news: people do things besides mod KSP.

Breaking news: people do things besides mod KSP.

Of course, and I'm not denying that. It's just that after seeing your version of this mod never finish development, I'm concerned for the future of this mod because I really like this idea. I didn't mean to come off as ignorant or rude, and apologize if I did, I'm just genuinely concerned about the development of this mod.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.