[WIP] Wetworks Crew Tanks

Lunaran

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this today, but I seem to be having a problem...

As soon as I put kerbals in the tank after it has been converted, they sort of get... stuck there.

I lose them on the little crew face feed on the bottom right, and can't seem to figure out a way to get them back OUT of the module...

It's a neat idea, and maybe I'm just being really dumb, but yes, IVA's would be awesome!

I tried this today, but I seem to be having a problem...

As soon as I put kerbals in the tank after it has been converted, they sort of get... stuck there.

I lose them on the little crew face feed on the bottom right, and can't seem to figure out a way to get them back OUT of the module...

It's a neat idea, and maybe I'm just being really dumb, but yes, IVA's would be awesome!

You need to click on the door and a tab will pop up with a list of crew and you can Eva them from there

Quick module manager script to add the crew cabin internals to the wetworks tanks:

@PART[wetCrewCabin16]

{

INTERNAL

{

name = crewCabinInternals

}

}

@PART[wetCrewCabin32]

{

INTERNAL

{

name = crewCabinInternals

}

}

Note that only 4 kerbals at a time can have a portrait with the 32 cabin.

After playing around with your tanks quite a lot, I have an idea and a bug to report:

The idea: As IRL, the coversion would require some manual work (pumping the systems, rebuilding the interior etc.), but it would be too complicated to add a system checking for the presence of Kerbals onboard before allowing conversion, why not make the "Convert to Crew Tank" an action clickable from EVA? Do you think it would work?

And the bug - after conversion, it seems the panels covering the door and the windows seem to fly off not directly from the tank, but seem to "get stuck" at a particular point in orbit, and have very high relative velocity to the tank. This actually broke some components stuck on my tanks. I think the correct behaviour should be that the panels would have the same orbital velocity and only gain some small relative velocity from the tank, as decoupled parts do.

Has anyone else encountered this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After playing around with your tanks quite a lot, I have an idea and a bug to report:

The idea: As IRL, the coversion would require some manual work (pumping the systems, rebuilding the interior etc.), but it would be too complicated to add a system checking for the presence of Kerbals onboard before allowing conversion, why not make the "Convert to Crew Tank" an action clickable from EVA? Do you think it would work?

And the bug - after conversion, it seems the panels covering the door and the windows seem to fly off not directly from the tank, but seem to "get stuck" at a particular point in orbit, and have very high relative velocity to the tank. This actually broke some components stuck on my tanks. I think the correct behaviour should be that the panels would have the same orbital velocity and only gain some small relative velocity from the tank, as decoupled parts do.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Actually window and door covers coudl be made grabbable by KAS - only way to remove them actually.

Immersion!

• 4 weeks later...

Another sorta bug I noticed.

Once you drain the tank and convert it to a wet workshop it will show up under the TAC fuel balancer as having a capacity of NaN. This also breaks mechjeb's delta-v display. I'm not sure if it also breaks Kerbal Engineer, but I imagine it might have the same issue because any number times not a number is also not a number. Maybe a way to prevent this is to instead change the fuel capacity to 0 or 1 instead of NaN?

Also, it would be really cool if the textures were more stock alike (They look too greebly compared to the rest of the spacecraft) and had IVAs, but other people have asked those things before I think.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

BUUUMP

hmm wonder if Lunaran is active or if anyone would like to make an IVA for these?

I've had IVAs half finished forever. Finally dusting this off to try and make it release-worthy.

It's the same way that I have to do it for the stock science lab, so naturally, that was the first thing I tried.

Ladders and airlocks are finicky. I've tuned the shapes a bit so everything should behave a little better, but it will never be perfect (it isn't perfect on the stock parts either).

(You get the 'crew hatch' prompt when you mouse over the box-shaped volume that defines the trigger zone for the airlock door. If there's a ladder trigger volume running through it (which there always is), the ladder volume 'occludes' the airlock volume so the cursor doesn't catch it. That's why it's sometimes funny to try and get the 'crew hatch' prompt, and these tanks were worse than most.)

why not make the "Convert to Crew Tank" an action clickable from EVA? Do you think it would work?

That's an easy change, and I like it. I'll try it.

after conversion, it seems the panels covering the door and the windows seem to fly off not directly from the tank, but seem to "get stuck" at a particular point in orbit, and have very high relative velocity to the tank.

I thiiink I fixed this. I want ejected covers to behave just like broken solar panel bits.

Would love to rescale this for Realism Overhaul, but having three independent models makes it pretty tough :/

I split the models up into bits so I could reuse top and bottom on both tanks to save memory. sorry :/

Once you drain the tank and convert it to a wet workshop it will show up under the TAC fuel balancer as having a capacity of NaN. This also breaks mechjeb's delta-v display. I'm not sure if it also breaks Kerbal Engineer, but I imagine it might have the same issue because any number times not a number is also not a number.

I actually don't change the max resource level to anything, I literally remove the resource component from the part instance. TAC fuel balancer and mechjeb must build a list of parts with resources once and then never rebuild it (a safe assumption, honestly), while Kerbal Engineer seems to err on the side of always updating.

If I just set the max resource level to 0, there will always be a dummy resource bar showing 0/0 LF and 0/0 OX in the right click menu for the tanks. I don't like that, but if it's hosing mods everyone uses otherwise I might have to live with it.

I'd love to see a large 6-crew Wetworks built around the size 3 parts.

me too ;)

Is CLS support soonish?

I'm looking at this. CLS provides a nice thorough API, so it seems simple to do.

ANYWAY

Rebuilt the plugin for 0.24.2, fiddled with slight texture updates, and made the panels pop off with a lot less velocity. And I think I made them not get 'lodged' in space any more.

Update soon.

BUUUMP

I've had IVAs half finished forever. Finally dusting this off to try and make it release-worthy.

Ladders and airlocks are finicky. I've tuned the shapes a bit so everything should behave a little better, but it will never be perfect (it isn't perfect on the stock parts either).

(You get the 'crew hatch' prompt when you mouse over the box-shaped volume that defines the trigger zone for the airlock door. If there's a ladder trigger volume running through it (which there always is), the ladder volume 'occludes' the airlock volume so the cursor doesn't catch it. That's why it's sometimes funny to try and get the 'crew hatch' prompt, and these tanks were worse than most.)

That's an easy change, and I like it. I'll try it.

I thiiink I fixed this. I want ejected covers to behave just like broken solar panel bits.

I split the models up into bits so I could reuse top and bottom on both tanks to save memory. sorry :/

I actually don't change the max resource level to anything, I literally remove the resource component from the part instance. TAC fuel balancer and mechjeb must build a list of parts with resources once and then never rebuild it (a safe assumption, honestly), while Kerbal Engineer seems to err on the side of always updating.

If I just set the max resource level to 0, there will always be a dummy resource bar showing 0/0 LF and 0/0 OX in the right click menu for the tanks. I don't like that, but if it's hosing mods everyone uses otherwise I might have to live with it.

me too ;)

I'm looking at this. CLS provides a nice thorough API, so it seems simple to do.

ANYWAY

Rebuilt the plugin for 0.24.2, fiddled with slight texture updates, and made the panels pop off with a lot less velocity. And I think I made them not get 'lodged' in space any more.

Update soon.

0.0 well then GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK LUNARAN!! :) great to hear that you are alive and working on continuing wetworks tanks especially in light of the .25 and the recent skyrocketing mod quality standard which has made things pretty crazy...

good stuff sir and i know you will do well :cool:

ANYWAY

Update soon.

YAAAAAAY! Even if these parts weren't wet workshops, I'd use them anyway because they look so great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.