[1.10] AutoAsparagus v2.3.1

hab136

The game basically freezes up when I start the asperagus auto-stage function. It makes the fuel lines, but does nothing more. Frame rate is around 0.5/sec after that.

edit: Got it to finish once, but upon launching everything was staged together again and fuel lines disconnected.

edit: When it does work, the center tank is depleted before the boosters run out, so something is up with the fuel lines.

Great idea, but less work to do it manually as-is ;)

1. It can take a minute or two to finish, which will look like the game froze. If it aborts, then it should say so.

2. You should always save and then reload the ship after running AutoAsparagus, even before launch

3. Can you send me the .craft file that caused it to break, and/or the logs? I can't fix it if I can't reproduce the problem.

Tried reloading etc, but it just doesnt work, 99% of the time it doesn't do anything at all. No fuel lines are added or stagings altered.

here is the craft+log: [URL]http://dasher.nl/kerbal/asperagus.rar[/URL] (needs SSTU mod) Edited by Jimbodiah

[quote name='Jimbodiah']Tried reloading etc, but it just doesnt work, 99% of the time it doesn't do anything at all. No fuel lines are added or stagings altered.

here is the craft+log: [URL]http://dasher.nl/kerbal/asperagus.rar[/URL] (needs SSTU mod)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I see the problem.

[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.B.TANK: Gary/-1376000/0/2/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.B.TANK: Larry/-1376366/0/14/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Deborah/-1377912/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Jessica/-1378090/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Raymond/-1378268/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Shirley/-1378446/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Cynthia/-1378624/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Angela/-1378802/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Melissa/-1378980/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: ... will connect tank: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Brenda/-1379158/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: === Connecting 0 fuel sets
[AutoAsparagus]: newReloadShip() starting...
[AutoAsparagus]: newReloadShip() done!

It correctly found the fuel tanks, but decided none of them needed to be connected, probably because it didn't find any decouplers. Let's look at the whole ship:

[AutoAsparagus]: === All parts of ship: 31 parts ===
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: computerCore: Stephanie 1/-1558824/0/1/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.B.TANK: Willie 1/-1558882/0/13/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1Bx2: Patrick 1/-1559014/0/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: sepMotor1: Terry 1/-1559370/3/0/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: sepMotor1: Carolyn 1/-1559420/3/0/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: sepMotor1: Peter 1/-1559470/3/0/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: sepMotor1: Christine 1/-1559520/3/0/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Marie 1/-1559570/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Janet 1/-1559670/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Frances 1/-1559848/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Catherine 1/-1560024/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Harold 1/-1560124/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Henry 1/-1560302/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Douglas 1/-1560478/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Joyce 1/-1560578/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Ann 1/-1560756/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Diane 1/-1560932/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Alice 1/-1561032/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Jean 1/-1561210/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Julie 1/-1561386/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Carl 1/-1561486/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Kelly 1/-1561664/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Heather 1/-1561840/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Arthur 1/-1561940/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Teresa 1/-1562118/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Gloria 1/-1562294/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Doris 1/-1562394/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Ryan 1/-1562572/7/0/STACK
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC: Joe 1/-1562748/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.A2.TANK: Roger 1/-1562848/7/1/SRF_ATTACH
[AutoAsparagus]: Part: SSTU.ShipCore.ENG-F1B: Evelyn 1/-1563026/7/0/STACK

AutoAsparagus just checks the name of the part for the word "decoupler". "SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC" doesn't have "decoupler" in the name, unlike every other decoupler in existence. :)

AutoAsparagus could check for the ModuleDecouple module instead of (or in addition to) checking the name, but then again that part seems to use its own custom module anyways:

[code]
MODULE
{
name = SSTUCustomRadialDecoupler
anchorName = SC-RBDC-Base
explosiveNodeID = srf
defaultRadius = 1.25
topMountName = SC-RBDC-MountUpper
bottomMountName = SC-RBDC-MountLower
}[/code]

So SSTU.ShipCore.RBDC wouldn't have worked even if AutoAsparagus was checking the PartModule. Notably, other parts in SSTU seem to use the stock "ModuleDecouple"; you just seem to have picked the single part that doesn't. :)

TL;DR: SSTU's decouplers don't look like other decouplers, will have to add custom support.

• 1 month later...

So, I keep telling people to save and reload their ship.. surely I've tried to do that programmatically and it either wasn't possible or didn't work.. right?  Right?

ConfigNode shipCfg = editor.ship.SaveShip ();
shipCfg.Save (filename);
EditorLogic.LoadShipFromFile (filename);

HAGT7ps.gif

So far it works over 9000% better than the current refreshing method.  I've got a bunch of testing to do, and I want to work in some other minor things (like the extended decoupler support) which also requires a bunch of testing, but I'm hoping to get a new, improved AutoAsparagus out before KSP 1.1 comes along and breaks everything. :D

• 3 weeks later...

2.0 is basically ready but I'm out of weekend time to finish testing.  So.. BETA release! :D

https://github.com/henrybauer/AutoAsparagus/releases/tag/v2.0beta

Changes since 1.1:

• Save and re-load the ship instead of refreshing it, which cures many problems.
  • Support for Blizzy's toolbar. Option to select stock or Blizzy's toolbar.
  • Icons for part selection (thanks xEvilReeperx)
  • Rainbow option. Requires the selected part to have multiple textures, like when you have "Colorful Fuel Lines" installed
  • Visualization! Highlights tanks and decouplers, shows onion ring levels, and on error highlight which tanks it couldn't connect and what parts were blocking
  • Better support for modded decouplers
  • Save window position and options in config file

There's actually not much more left to do before I'd consider this mod "done".  Here's what's NOT in this beta that I still want to work on:

• Better pathfinding on stupidly-built rockets like the Kerbal X (which still doesn't work)
  • Better feedback during the pathfinding, like a progress bar or something instead of just freezing the screen while it thinks; will require some major voodoo

Let me know how it works for you, especially if you encounter any huge bugs or have a feature request.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this mod, as it is considerably less frustrating to detect and correct correct the mistakes it makes automatically than it is to detect and correct the mistakes I make manually. ;)

Every time I've used this mod, I've had to fix the staging because it gets the fuel lines in the right places every time (with the occasional exception), but screws staging up fiercely. This morning, I used this to change an onion-staged vessel to asparagus-staged, and it got everything correct (apart from insisting that the first decouplers disengage before any engines fire - an easy fix). It even noticed that there were seperatrons on the asparagused stages, and grouped the correct seperatrons with the correct decouplers. This is the first time they weren't lumped into the bottom stage with the first pair of decouplers. Sorting out staging amounted to moving the main motors and the launch clamps to the bottom stage. Everything else was in correct order. I don't know what happened, but I like it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Berlin said:

I am getting multiple app launcher buttons in the vab.

same for me.

just do some vab/sph stuff, change scene (flight or not), renter and "voila" a extra button :wink: (repeat to have more :D )

AutoAsparagus v2.1

Edited by Vlyan
adding aa version

7 hours ago, Vlyan said:

same for me.

just do some vab/sph stuff, change scene (flight or not), renter and "voila" a extra button :wink: (repeat to have more :D )

AutoAsparagus v2.1

Likewise.  One button per visit to the VAB.  A new game, I haven't tried the SPH yet as I haven't unlocked enough to do anything there.  (Why can we build rockets before we can build planes?!?!)

3 minutes ago, TAImatem said:

I got weird bug: new asparagus button appears almostly everytime I enter SPH (haven't tried VAB)

join the club of everyone using this mod currently. I'm sure its being worked on.

On 4/22/2016 at 8:55 AM, Barklight said:

I'm seeing the same - button loads a new instance on the stock toolbar every visit to VAB.

Blizzy's toolbar has been updated too, would be nice to hook it there if possible :)

Already supports Blizzy's toolbar, has for a while.  Just tested with the 1.1 version of Blizzy's Toolbar, and it works fine.

There's a config option to choose it that you have to enable once (it will remember after that):

3nsOExK.png

v2.2 is up, fixes the multiple app icon issue.

Geez, making KSPedia pages is more difficult than I expected.  I figured it'd be HTML.. nope, it's all done inside Unity and then a giant rigamarole to export it.

I'm planning on putting in directions how to use the mod, explanations and comparisons of staging (asparagus/onion/naive), and maybe some asparagus facts lol.  Anything else to throw in there?

aPx2Iht.png

EzrONDG.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2016 at 7:11 AM, hab136 said:

Geez, making KSPedia pages is more difficult than I expected.  I figured it'd be HTML.. nope, it's all done inside Unity and then a giant rigamarole to export it.

I'm planning on putting in directions how to use the mod, explanations and comparisons of staging (asparagus/onion/naive), and maybe some asparagus facts lol.  Anything else to throw in there?

aPx2Iht.png

EzrONDG.png

Just saw your mod and gonna give it a try. Not sure if you saw this but it might help you with making those pages.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.