[1.10] AutoAsparagus v2.3.1

hab136

Ok, still don't know what's wrong. This is as simple as it gets, Main Tank is root, one decoupler per tank and a chute on each tank, and none on the capsule. Don't see how it could get confused, but the stages make no sense. What Have I done wrong.? I know I could simply move the engines, but that defeats the purpose of the plug in.

There should be two chutes and two decouplers in three stages, and all the engines should be on one stage at the beginning, correct?:

screenshot16_zpsf85cb8e4.png

Interesting. Tried multiple times, removed fuel lines, nothing would make it asparagus properly. Moved the camera and looked at the rocket straight down from above and hit the button, and BAM!!! worked like a charm. Could it really be a camera issue?: That just seems weird.

Anyhow, undid everything, and tried again, no-go, until I moved the camera to look straight down onto the rocket, and staged everything as it should and connected fuel lines properly, only thing it did wrong was put the engines in the last stage, but I can handle that.

Anyone else have this happen?

Randy

Hmmm. So I tried a simple rocket, six boosters and 3-4 decouplers per booster. And this is what I get. It stages the parachutes in stage3, and the main engine in the last stage. and puts one set of decouplers all by themselves. Is this the expected behavior or am I doing something outside of its limitations? I love the plugin, just still a little confused on its limitation.

I see what you're doing. You can't actually attach one part to another part through multiple connections. So for example a booster can't be attached to the center tank by two different decouplers. You can place two decouplers, but only one will attach to the booster; the other will just hang off the center tank and do nothing. This is a limitation of KSP.

Once again summoning my awesome MS Paint skills:

D5WBffb.png

The left is what you're trying to do - you want each decoupler to connect to the center tank and the booster. The right is what actually happens - the second decoupler is completely unattached to the booster. (It will collide in the physics engine, but isn't actually attached)

What AutoAsparagus (or any other mod) sees is just a decoupler sitting there on the center tank, with nothing attached to it. AutoAsparagus has problems with decouplers that don't attach to anything (listed as a known bug about fairings on the first page).

If you use two tanks on two decouplers (one on top of each other) to try to get around this, then the two tanks won't connect vertically. And no, it doesn't matter how many parts are in between them.

As mentioned, the solution is using one decoupler per booster plus struts.

This limitation of KSP often comes up when people try to use the quad adapter with engines

The more technical explanation: The ship is modeled as a tree structure. Every part has exactly one parent and can have multiple children. Loops are not allowed. In the picture below, left is OK, right is not.

aXeiByv.png

Ok, still don't know what's wrong. This is as simple as it gets, Main Tank is root, one decoupler per tank and a chute on each tank, and none on the capsule. Don't see how it could get confused, but the stages make no sense. What Have I done wrong.? I know I could simply move the engines, but that defeats the purpose of the plug in.

There should be two chutes and two decouplers in three stages, and all the engines should be on one stage at the beginning, correct?

I don't see the fuel lines to the center in that picture, like this:

d1Wkgw4.png

AutoAsparagus runs the fuel lines, then does the staging based upon the fuel lines. If the fuel lines to the center were not created properly, then the staging would be wrong too.

AutoAsparagus does not currently modify the engine staging at all. That said, sometimes KSP decides to move the engines around on its own.

I've been thinking about storing the stage of all engines and restoring it after I do all my staging, and adding a checkbox to force-move all engines to the last stage.

Interesting. Tried multiple times, removed fuel lines, nothing would make it asparagus properly. Moved the camera and looked at the rocket straight down from above and hit the button, and BAM!!! worked like a charm. Could it really be a camera issue?: That just seems weird.

That does seem weird, but some of the functions I use are ray-tracing in order to find a clear path from one tank to another. It starts going center-of-mass to center-of-mass, and then tries to see if the way is blocked. If so, it nudges the fuel line a bit, and tries again, then repeats till KSP tells me the path is clear.

From the known issues: "Sometimes Unity lies to me about whether there's something in the way and the fuel lines don't connect."

It's possible that rotating the camera changed the collision detection inside Unity, and thus it worked.

I usually test looking down from the top, so I can see the fuel lines. :)

I don't see the fuel lines to the center in that picture, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/d1Wkgw4.png

Your right, there were none, thats what I was trying to fix, and when I used the top down view it worked

I usually test looking down from the top, so I can see the fuel lines. :)

Yup, that explaines a lot. I think top down is the key. :wink:

And Now that I know that and how your collision detection works I've had no issues. Great mod, and a huge timesaver. Makes building rockets so much more enjoyable.

Thanks a bunch. :kiss:

Randy

I see what you're doing. You can't actually attach one part to another part through multiple connections. So for example a booster can't be attached to the center tank by two different decouplers. You can place two decouplers, but only one will attach to the booster; the other will just hang off the center tank and do nothing. This is a limitation of KSP.

That explains a lot too. I've built many rockets with decouplers and boosters and when I go to the Launchpad the top of the booster always falls away from the main tank. Been playing since 0.17 and thought it was me !!

awesome pluginn any chance of adding stock ksp toolbar support like kerbal engineer redux please :)

Yep, I plan to remove the dependence on Blizzy's toolbar and use the stock one.

If it's not too hard, I'll make it support - but not require - Blizzy's toolbar, with an option to switch between them (if you have Blizzy's toolbar installed).

• 4 weeks later...

Just released a new version, hop to the main page for download links.

New in v0.6:

* Clicks won't go through the window and touch your rocket now

* Changed initial starting position to be a little more left (instead of dead center)

* Switched to stock app launcher, which removes dependency on Blizzy's Toolbar

• 1 month later...
Just dropping by to say that I just tested this with 0.25 and it appears to work as usual.

Yeah, I didn't see any obvious problems, however I just recompiled it anyways (because csharp-firstpass.dll is no longer needed) and released 0.7.

New in v0.7:

* Recompiled for 0.25

* Added .version file for KSP-AVC version checker (you must install KSP-AVC separately from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745)

* Added Install Checker to make sure AutoAsparagus is installed correctly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From today's DevNotes:

Struts and Fuel Lines no longer use their own Part extensions. Now, there is a single part extension called CompoundPart, and along with it, a new PartModule extension called CompoundPartModule.

Uh-oh. This has a good chance of breaking AutoAsparagus in 0.26 (AKA 0.90).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am completely stumped on how to install this mod...which by the way..i love the idea of.

i am constantly being told at load up of game that the dll file is in the wrong place...please anyone..where the hell does it go...thanks

sam...ps..mod is installed in gamedata.

Hi, i am completely stumped on how to install this mod...which by the way..i love the idea of.

i am constantly being told at load up of game that the dll file is in the wrong place...please anyone..where the hell does it go...thanks

sam...ps..mod is installed in gamedata.

It should look like:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\AutoAsparagus

And inside that directory is AutoAsparagus.dll and a bunch of .png files.

Make sure you don't have something like:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\AutoAsparagus\AutoAsparagus

If you're still having problems, then take a screenshot of your GameData directory and your AutoAsparagus directory.

joEoBSm.png

• 1 month later...
What I always wanted to ask you: could you add support for the fuel lines from the Vertical Propulsion Emporium too? They are called "CopperFuelLine".

Or even a dropdown box or somesuch for any part that has the module "FuelLine"? Then, you would solve this problem once and for all :)

I didn't even know there were modded fuel lines!

Let me get it working with stock fuel lines again, and then it should be relatively simple to change what part is added. Indeed, a dropdown would work just fine.

v0.8 is out for compatibility with KSP 0.90!

I tested briefly with "CopperFuelLine", and they're compatible. If you add them manually, AutoAsparagus will follow their flow when it does staging (just like stock fuel lines). Pressing "Delete Fuel Lines" will also delete them, of course. :) Adding a fuel line still uses stock fuel lines - I'll have to add that dropdown to select different types, if available. But that's a battle for another day. :)

Adding a fuel line still uses stock fuel lines - I'll have to add that dropdown to select different types, if available. But that's a battle for another day. :)

Thank you for your efforts, the NetKAN robot should pick up your new release in the next hour or so...

Every day a new mod to add :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Still broken for me, not sure if it is due to another mod I use...

EDIT : Nevermind, was a fairing I didn't noticed...when this happens, the only solution is to end task ?

Edited by Yzangard

EDIT : Nevermind, was a fairing I didn't noticed...when this happens, the only solution is to end task ?

You can usually exit to the space center and then quit the game normally.. but yeah if you hit that bug, that's it for the mod.

I've been busy actually playing the game, but I do still plan to see if I can fix the fairing issue, and maybe add some infinite loop detection.

• 1 month later...

This has potential, but still needs some work. The fairing issue was annoying but adding them last is an easy work around. I had two major issues that led to me uninstalling it for now. First, it doesn't stage the parachutes or decouplers for me. Sometimes it will create empty stages for them to go in, but I always had to sort out their staging after using the app. Second, when attaching a part after using the app the part would make the "I'm connected" sound but the part would still be ghosted and move with the cursor. If I clicked off the ship it would seperate from the cursor, but I wouldn't be able to attach any more parts or even unattach parts. This bug would persist if the ship was saved, but leaving the VAB/SPH and re-entering it would end the bug and display the last attached part solid (as if attached) but separate from the vessel.

First, it doesn't stage the parachutes or decouplers for me. Sometimes it will create empty stages for them to go in, but I always had to sort out their staging after using the app.

For whatever reason, the staging doesn't "stick" if you don't immediately either 1. save and reload the craft, or 2. add and delete a stage. If you run AutoAsparagus and then modify the ship in any way, or even look sideways at it, the staging will revert. I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to fix this, and never even came up with a guess as to what the problem was, let alone how to solve it.

The other scenario where staging won't happen is if the fuel lines aren't correct. The staging is based on the fuel lines, so if the fuel lines are broken (for example if one fuel line doesn't get created correctly) then the staging will be broken too.

If neither of those things were the problem, then that's a bug I haven't seen before.

Second, when attaching a part after using the app the part would make the "I'm connected" sound but the part would still be ghosted and move with the cursor. If I clicked off the ship it would seperate from the cursor, but I wouldn't be able to attach any more parts or even unattach parts. This bug would persist if the ship was saved, but leaving the VAB/SPH and re-entering it would end the bug and display the last attached part solid (as if attached) but separate from the vessel.

Yeah, in general, saving and re-loading the ship after using AutoAsparagus is the safest thing. Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to automate that?

I've been meaning to come back to this and fix up some of the bugs (especially the fairing one) and add in some of the planned features, but I haven't had an excess of time lately. Worse, the mod works for me, so I don't have that itch to scratch.

FYI, if you just want staging, try SmartStage (which didn't exist when I started AutoAsparagus).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.