[1.0] XT Landertron - Smart Retrorockets for Landers and Spaceplanes v0.08 Oct 10

XanderTek

"a great many"? There are only two dependencies, and one is optional. :P

From my initial testing, it appears the core functionality of this mod is working fine in 0.90, but KAS is busted. So they're usable, just not refuelable. Once KAS is updated they should be fully functional. I'm working on a new version with a fix for "control from here" bugs, and the ability to set the end height. No ETA at the moment. My life is going to be very busy for the next month or so, but I'll try to get it out as soon as possible.

If anyone comes across any new bugs please let me know. I'll try to get a patch out promptly. I was sort of expecting some of my code in the VAB to break... but so far so good.

Edited by XanderTek

I'm considering adding the option for monoprop landertron rockets. Mostly because the devs of the Taurus HCV mod are interested in adding the feature to their pod, and that's what they use for their built in rockets. Anyway, it's doable technically, but I'm not sure how to balance these with the solidfuel variety. Currently, Landertrons vent any unused fuel when the landing burn is complete. Would it make sense to vent all remaining monoprop from the whole vessel upon landing? That seems a bit harsh, but I'd like to have some tradeoff for the crazy TWR that these engines provide. Any thoughts?

Okay I can't for the life of me figure out how to install this. I got the animated engines from the other pack as well as the hex can, but I'm either not seeing the actual Landertrons in my VAB or never installed them. Help?

Download this, and stick those folders in your GameData folder. If you already have the Bahamuto engine models, then when you start up the game you should see the Landertrons listed with the rest of the engines in the VAB. They'll probably be at the end of the list. They'll look exactly like the ones from the Bahamuto pack, but with different sizes, names, and descriptions.

If you want to be able to refuel the Landertrons, you'll also need to install KAS.

Hope that helps!

Edited by XanderTek

Hello XanderTek,

I am uncertain how you have managed to build a 0.90 compliant release. Based upon the source contained in the zip file linked in the posting above (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61294-0-25-XT-Landertron-Smart-Retrorockets-for-Landers-and-Spaceplanes-v0-08-Oct-10?p=1617698&viewfull=1#post1617698) it is clear that something is wrong.

In particular, two code locations are in error as they are using enum values that are no longer defined:

Landertron.cs line 092

if (HighLogic.LoadedScene == GameScenes.SPH && mode == 0)

Landertron.cs line 352

Vector3 fwd = HighLogic.LoadedScene == GameScenes.EDITOR ? Vector3d.up : (HighLogic.LoadedScene == GameScenes.SPH ? Vector3d.forward : (Vector3d)engine.part.vessel.GetTransform().up);

For reference please refer to this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103152-What-s-new-in-0-90?p=1603640&viewfull=1#post1603640

Based on the recommendations in this post your code should probably now be:

Landertron.cs line 092

if (EditorLogic.fetch.ship.shipFacility == EditorFacility.SPH)

Landertron.cs line 352

Vector3 fwd = HighLogic.LoadedScene == GameScenes.EDITOR ? Vector3d.up : (EditorLogic.fetch.ship.shipFacility == EditorFacility.SPH ? Vector3d.forward : (Vector3d)engine.part.vessel.GetTransform().up);

I have reason to believe that you may be using out of date versions of Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll in your build process.

Good luck!

Edited by BruceKnowles

Thanks Bruce. I mostly just checked in-game to verify that the existing version of the plugin still works in 0.90. But you might be right about using out of date dlls. I'll look into it for future builds.

Are you using this code for a project of your own? I'm just asking because you're the first person I'm aware of who has bothered to dig through my sourcecode (sorry about the mess! :P )

Edited by XanderTek

Yup, I am in the process of rebuilding my module/plugins to full 64 bit and also to generate full release versions instead of the default debug versions that are generally released.

For that I need the code. As I progress through each product I take the time out to read the code and get an idea of what is happening... sort of...

This is also a crash course for me in .NET based programming. Its one hell of a learning curve I can tell you... but it sure is a lot of fun...

Edited by BruceKnowles

• 3 weeks later...
i couldn timmediately see from reading a few pages back, but are the 'trons compatible with 0.90? I am thinking of some Remotetech probe landings :)

Yep, it works fine in 0.90 from my testing. I suppose I should update the title...

I'm having a problem that I can't figure out: I'm trying to build a Mako-style rover that I can drop from orbit, but the rockets don't activate at the same time. That causes the lander to spin completely out of control and crash. The center of thrust is exactly at the center of mass, and I'm using RCS and SAS to keep the ship almost perfectly level with the ground. I kill all horizontal velocity before landing and before the rockets activate, my vertical speed is only half the Delta-V of the Landertrons I have equipped (with thrust set to 25%, because I thought maybe the initial burst was too strong).

Also, I was wondering if you have a max altitude at which they can activate, because even if I'm dropping straight down, proper orientation at 3/4 to 1/2 of my Delta-V; the rockets have red icons until I'm within 2 to 3 kms of the terrain.

The mod works great for normal command pods so far, I'm just trying to figure out how to get this working.

I'm having a problem that I can't figure out: I'm trying to build a Mako-style rover that I can drop from orbit, but the rockets don't activate at the same time. That causes the lander to spin completely out of control and crash. The center of thrust is exactly at the center of mass, and I'm using RCS and SAS to keep the ship almost perfectly level with the ground. I kill all horizontal velocity before landing and before the rockets activate, my vertical speed is only half the Delta-V of the Landertrons I have equipped (with thrust set to 25%, because I thought maybe the initial burst was too strong).

Also, I was wondering if you have a max altitude at which they can activate, because even if I'm dropping straight down, proper orientation at 3/4 to 1/2 of my Delta-V; the rockets have red icons until I'm within 2 to 3 kms of the terrain.

The mod works great for normal command pods so far, I'm just trying to figure out how to get this working.

You're not doing anything wrong. I'm pretty sure you're running into the same bug that Tochas was on page 12 & 13 of this thread. Basically the mod isn't working right if you build a horizontal vehicle and then try to use the Landertrons for a vertical landing. I'm working on it, but it's proving to be tricky and I just haven't had much time lately. The next update should resolve this, but I don't have an ETA yet.

There isn't exactly a max altitude. They'll either fire when necessary to bring the craft to a stop at ground level, or if they lack the fuel for that they'll fire such that they run out of fuel just as the craft reaches the ground. You're getting the red icons because the mod is mistaken about the direction you're facing. It thinks the rockets are pointed towards the horizon. It's part of the bug.

I put this rover down on Eve without parachutes. http://imgur.com/a/2C8Iw#75 In testing I tried a single chute on top but that made it swing back and forth and crash.

On this landing MechJeb put this lander http://imgur.com/a/2C8Iw#77 down and only popped the two small chutes where every time before it had also used the two radials and four large chutes. No damage despite punching the legs through the surface.

I think I'll add some Landertrons and give it a go with no chutes, except the two radials on the can which are needed to land on Kerbin.

slight balance issue with price - the XT-L1 costs 950 when then the XT-L2 costs 650.

Perhaps change the XT-L2 to 950 (same as the XT-L2B) and XT-L1 to 600

Good catch, I'll add it to the next release.

Will there be CKAN compatibility in a future release ?

This is the first I've heard of CKAN. I do like the idea of a more standardized way of handling mods. I'll need to look into what's required on my end, but yeah, hopefully I can support it in the future.

I have an idea that could simplify activation height calculations and make high speed moon landings safer. Right now the landertons seem to calculate activation height solely by current velocity.

You don't need to change the current code, but you could use some simple equations to tell the user if they are going too fast. Something like v=sqrt[2GM(1/r -1/(r+ap))] G = grav const, M = mass of planet, r = radius of planet, ap = height of apoapsis.

It will give you fairly accurate numbers for moons and underestimations for planets. No more landertrons turning red at the very last second :D

I cannot figure out how to install this. I installed the Bahamuto pack, and all of the parts from that work. I can see the refuel canister, but when I go to the engines section in the VAB, none of the Landertron engines are there. Please help! :confused:

I have an idea that could simplify activation height calculations and make high speed moon landings safer. Right now the landertons seem to calculate activation height solely by current velocity.

You don't need to change the current code, but you could use some simple equations to tell the user if they are going too fast. Something like v=sqrt[2GM(1/r -1/(r+ap))] G = grav const, M = mass of planet, r = radius of planet, ap = height of apoapsis.

It will give you fairly accurate numbers for moons and underestimations for planets. No more landertrons turning red at the very last second :D

Actually, they calculate activation height based on current velocity, acceleration, orientation of the craft, orientation of the landertrons, and max burn time of the landertrons. It's possible the red icon is still just based on current velocity and orientation though, I'll have to double check. Considering parachutes or other rockets may be in use, I don't think your equation is sufficient to determine whether the craft will be going to fast by the time it reaches ground level. I'll see if I can do anything to improve the predictions, but its kinda a tricky problem and I'm trying to give the pilot very simple feedback. As a rule of thumb, keep your vertical speed a bit lower than the deltaV of the landertrons and you should be fine.

Well, I know that, I already have all of the Bahamuto engines.:mad: I'm asking for installation instructions.

Make sure the Baha parts are in Gamedata/BahaSP and the Landertrons are in Gamedata/XanderTek/Landertron. The landertron cfgs should be able to find the part models so long as everything is in the correct location. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thank you for the mod! I will try it out today.

One Question did arise tho.

Does the landertrons detect others like:

- I place 4 landertrons in symetry, but the delta-v is not enough, so i place another 4 in symetry. So i got 2 packs of 4 landertrons

Do the first 4 detect the other ones and calculate/trim their firering accordingly ?

Thanks

PS: Maybe a bigger version would be nice for realy heavy landers with retunr stages.... (more parts are always good: )

As far as I know, the established kerbal theory of MOAR LANDERTRONS!! Is at play here. That is, I've never had a problem with adding more for heavier loads. Shoot me if this isn't current though, it's been a while since I've used these. Stupid memory space issues, grumblemumble:p

All Landertrons assigned to a stage will be taken into account when figuring out when to fire. So 2 sets of 4 Landertrons will work just fine so long as they're all activated at once.

How big would you like to see them get? I was thinking about adding tweakscale compatibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.