Resources - postponed, cancelled or reserved for a DLC?

czokletmuss

In your opinion, resources system is:  

1. 1. In your opinion, resources system is:

• Probably postponed
    • Probably reserved for a DLC
    • Probably cancelled :(

One of the great things about KSP is that we have a very strong modding community. To wit: I'm working on building a team of modders, hoping we can cook up a version of expanded resources that will fit in with the game and the original intent Squad had for their version of resources. You can see the progress so far here if you want to offer feedback or to contribute.

Hey,the game is still fun, right guys? That's what counts, right?

...right? Guys?...

The game might be fun, but without purpose (such as economy, missions/science and resources) that fun won't last. And the sad excuse for "career" mode currently in the game doesn't count, as it's a tutorial without any actual tutorial.

you do know career mode is pretty much the newest thing in the whole game, right? - it's only been there since .22, before which it was only sandbox...

so "not done" might be a bit of an understatement here :rolleyes:

Sure there's Kethane, but I'd definitely like to see a similar mod with a larger amount of "elements."

The thing that many seem to be overlooking, is Kethane already supports multiple resources. Just no one has made use of this, apart from the Ore for the extraplanetary launchpads mod.

There was a project somewhere to make a mod that took advantage of this aspect of Kethane to make a more complex set, but no idea if it's still going, or anything came from it.

you do know career mode is pretty much the newest thing in the whole game, right? - it's only been there since .22, before which it was only sandbox...

so "not done" might be a bit of an understatement here :rolleyes:

So why did Squad all of a sudden drop career mode like a sack of potatoes? Did they realize that they made a mistake and pulled out, leaving us a not even half finished gamemode? Maybe if they stuck with what they were doing, people would have more faith in Squad.

Has there been any official squad comment on this or is it just 20+ pages of conjecture?

There was an article on PC gamer saying that the main focus was now multiplayer. Maxmaps also stated that the game has shelved resources now, even though they are around 70% complete.

So why did Squad all of a sudden drop career mode like a sack of potatoes? Did they realize that they made a mistake and pulled out, leaving us a not even half finished gamemode? Maybe if they stuck with what they were doing, people would have more faith in Squad.

There was an article on PC gamer saying that the main focus was now multiplayer. Maxmaps also stated that the game has shelved resources now, even though they are around 70% complete.

You are mistaken.

They have not dropped Career. Mulitplayer is not their Main focus.

Multiplayer in the next thing they'll be doing after they finish off Careers base systems. Career is only in the initial phases of work. They still have quite a bit to do on it. Once that's got the skeleton of systems all done they'll do multiplayer for sandbox and career. Once those are done they'll be "scope complete". Meaning the games basic framework will be done. Then they can fill up that framework with all the features they've been putting off... like planets... asteroids... more parts... resources... all the stuff filling their "neat feature" list.

Just like how resources are on the list of more or less promised features?

They've already shown that they intend to disregard what they've already promised us if it looks like something else will give them more money, such as multiplayer. There's no reason to believe they're going to give any more attention to career than there is to believe they intend to release straight away. At this point, there's simple no trust to be had in what they say.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed, but I am looking more forward to a financial and more complex science system than I ever was resources. There's always the Kethane mod after all.

That being said I hope it wasn't dropped for multiplayer. I don't have game playing friends so I have to suffer the public when it comes to multiplayer and I'd personally rather undergo a root canal.

Edited by FlamedSteak

For obvious reasons, I've long opposed the idea of Squad implementing resource mining. It's a lot of work, but it's nothing revolutionary, and Squad should be working on things that are. I had hoped there would be more interest (both collaborative and competitive) in resource mining from the modding community, but I suppose there may have been hope that Squad would eventually come through. (Beginning with Kethane 0.5, I operated under the assumption this day would come.) I'm not necessarily pleased with Squad's performance, but I think this is a step in the right direction.

Regarding Kethane: Modding has been on my back-burner for the last few months. I will resume coding in earnest in a few hours when I complete my last deliverable of the year. (Woohoo!) I've set my sights on the third week of January for an expansion to Kethane that adds more resources. The API will remain open to the general public.

[snip]

Sounds good man. I'd laugh if you implemented something close to the 0.19 resources chart. :D

Edited by FEichinger
NOPE.

ok here the reality, multiplayer will give to the 70% of the creations in this forum a reason to exsists, this forum is full of useless junks that have no reason to be played at all because you can have something more efficent with 1/8 less parts and a better look. Multiplayer will give the opportunity to the non suoptid people to show their 1450 parts junk****work battleships with honour and let them think they are cool, that the way the market works. In second for me multiplayer is useless because moving at 2-3 frame per secs with a friend is not fun at all. And the absurd thing they think they can andle multiplayer by internet!!!!!!!!!!! lol! disconetting, out of syncs.... cool can't wait. So resources have a less weight than anything to come ( i repeat the main GOAL of the modern SPACEPROGRAMS is to seek new form of energy and resources). let's see more powerfull weapons, missiles, suicide drones and Aliens because once i killed all my friends i don't know what to do.

there are some things to think about resources:

1) without an economic system they are useless. c'on i'm tired to see 400000 billions lauchers i need challege!!!!!! so even if you give to the resource gathering a good weight there is always a way to put that things in space. The game needs limits in that and those limits are the money!

2) once the point one is resolved the space will become easier to be explored. But in positive there will be a reason to place stations and bases around the solar system.

1) i think Squad will move towards resources after science will be fully completed ( ECONOMIC SYSTEM INCLUDED) because is the smartest thing.

2) Squad want a multiplayer fully stock to cut off the KSP dependence from mods.

3) steam has open KPS to a multi zombie players zone. Track them down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rosarium

Well there are a couple of things I would like to say here, actually their are four.

1. I am actually really disappointed with this development but then again, Squad really has the right to change its mind. I see a lot contradictions on this forum, some people want Squad to listen to the community while others don't want Squad to do that. I think this move is clear sign that Squad is still in control of its game and making what THEY want it to be. I presume that resources will return after the implementation of career mode.

2. I have a strong suspicion that Squad is suffering from lack of innovation. There seems to be no more driving force behind the development of the game, I believe that this is because of the change in crew. Many of the originals have gone and disappeared and the new guys are not pulling their weight. Whether it would be communicating with the community or developing the game any further.

3. I personally think Maximaps and Rowsdower are useless in the forwarding of this game.The reason for this is that I think that their job descriptions are bit too much overlapping. PR agent and Community manager should have been consolidated into one job. A good game should be able to do its own PR. I personally prefer Rowsdower as I don't know what Maximaps does all day.

4. Not really related to this but if you go and watch Pewdiepie's last video of 'Crash test' you would hear him at the end of the video saying that he is considering doing KSP as it is a very similar game. He then goes on to say that if you want him to play KSP, write in the comments. As of right now there are a lot of comments asking to play KSP. Is this a godsend or the beginning of the end, I let you decide.

Here is the Link: (skip to 9:20 to see what I said above)

All signs pointing to them having basically scrapped all current iterations of the resources model at present. I guess at best you may be able to hope it'll make a comeback with a totally reworked model, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. In the meantime, there's always Kethane... whenever Majiir gets back to work.

Pwediepie has 17mil subs... so if just .001% of those buy a copy of KSP that is 17,000 copies @ $27 = $459,000. (around a years development budget I would guess after costs).

So yeah if he streamed it Squad would so aim for that demographic a lot more, and explain as such the shift to a more populist design ethos (ala multiplayer).

*squad cancels recourses*

''squad is pathetic''

''they ruined the game''

''it's minecraft all over again''

''pewdiepie''

''squad never listens to the community''

i have never known that those recourses were such a big deal to the community. just... so much hate

you guys do realize that squad also does a whole lot right? (in my opinion)

Being critical of a design decision and hate are very different. A few people have gone over the top a little, but the vast majority have been very civil (go read some other game forums for pure vitriol).

I would imagine the vast majority of people can understand the decision, are at least satisfied we have an answer and understand the owners/developers want to push it in a more main stream direction.

The fact remains it is disappointing for a number of players who were teased with the .19 statements.

On the bright side it will secure the future of this game for a year or so with more cash injections from a wider player base.

I think a lot of the angst in this thread is down to misaligned expectations. Squad released some teaser materials to do with resources a while ago, and then went silent on the subject. Some people seem to have been expecting that the silence meant Squad were busy implementing exactly what they'd earlier leaked, when it seems like in reality they had a change of mind about what they'd worked up, and have subsequently binned it entirely.

Personally I'm not surprised at all. The lack of any real progress on the "old" resource system shows they weren't really pursuing it with any enthusiasm. I do seem to recall that they'd also publicly said some time ago that they weren't that keen on the old "tons o'resources" system, as it was too fiddly and not compelling enough. I personally assumed that iteration of the system was binned, and that we'd be getting a simpler system (as I said back on about page 3 or 4 of this thread).

Clearly others were expecting otherwise, and if so I can understand why they're upset. This is kind of the risk you take when you follow the development of a pre-release game really closely though. You might get really excited about features that get cut before release.