Resources - postponed, cancelled or reserved for a DLC?

czokletmuss

In your opinion, resources system is:  

1. 1. In your opinion, resources system is:

• Probably postponed
    • Probably reserved for a DLC
    • Probably cancelled :(

And I told you, you can make a detailed thread about that very topic by itself - absolutely nothing standing in your way there. But hashing it out in here is getting far, far away from the original topic: the delay with resources. This is my last warning on this.

FEichinger

That's not heavy handed at all

Done: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61749-Just-what-is-the-community-to-SQUAD

Back onto topic, let's go back to when Squad made this decision, when they should have notified us, and whether it's the right one to have made.

My thoughts are 'quite a while ago,' 'as soon as they made it,' and 'absolutely not,' respectively.

Done: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61749-Just-what-is-the-community-to-SQUAD

Back onto topic, let's go back to when Squad made this decision, when they should have notified us, and whether it's the right one to have made.

My thoughts are 'quite a while ago,' 'as soon as they made it,' and 'absolutely not,' respectively.

I'm guessing they stopped right around 0.19. There were many announcements and then they just stopped, and NovaSilisko went on leave.

My thoughts are that it was a mistake for them to put out such a long road map to begin with. Naturally they have their long term goals but developing a game of this kind involves a lot of unseen factors appearing as it goes along. The problem is that when the community sees a peek at the current plan, they see it as a promise when nothing of the sort was made.

But since that roadmap was given, should they have said something when it changed? Yeah I think so, just for clarity's sake. I don't see the slowness in that happening as a betrayal though, and frankly I'm happy to see the game progress each update and to be able to play it all along. I just see it as a lesson for both the devs and the community to learn from.

I don't see resources being a thing until about 2015, IF they decide to do them at all. I think that new players of the game have a plethora of updates to look forward to, but anyone else is basically screwed. I think it's pretty insulting that Squad makes decisions on what they think the community would or would not be capable of doing, but maybe they have statistics that I don't. I just wish they would have a little more faith in the skills of their community, and try to add a semblance of depth and consequence to my actions in the game.

And that means that I should quote back to my dog analogy and the following posts explaining it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61297-Resources-postponed-cancelled-or-reserved-for-a-DLC?p=838627&viewfull=1#post838627

That's the original one, then the following discussion will clarify it up, as my English skill has its limits.

Let me just say that if you ever make a business, I will never, ever work for it.

"Good job Holo, you're really working hard. I'll cut your wages so you keep it up!"

Let me just say that if you ever make a business, I will never, ever work for it.

"Good job Holo, you're really working hard. I'll cut your wages so you keep it up!"

It's not cutting wages, it's transactions. Giving developers money for things they already developed is the proper way to go about this, not give them your money and say "we trust you" and blindly putting your faith in them.

the real problem you don't see is not the cut off the resource gathering, but is the multiplayer cancer!!!! squad aim was no waepons, no aliens. That was the amazing and the proud of this game. The multiplayer cancer will bring missiles share bombs, and brainless people to !!!!!

this forum will be overlasted by military .crafts with idiotic designs made only to be stupid in space. multiplayer requirements will be too hight for me to be enjoyable. Even in LAN whould result hard to be made.

Squad you are shooting yourself in the knee!!! look at the stats... the stats say the major of the people in the world is not so bright, so even in this fantastic community and mostly after the STEAM(****edcancer!) opening you should consider and delete always the first top request!

MP will kil the spirit of KSP and this forum. Just add blood and gore and you have satisfied all the community.

the real problem you don't see is not the cut off the resource gathering, but is the multiplayer cancer!!!! squad aim was no waepons, no aliens. That was the amazing and the proud of this game. The multiplayer cancer will bring missiles share bombs, and brainless people to !!!!!

this forum will be overlasted by military .crafts with idiotic designs made only to be stupid in space. multiplayer requirements will be too hight for me to be enjoyable. Even in LAN whould result hard to be made.

Squad you are shooting yourself in the knee!!! look at the stats... the stats say the major of the people in the world is not so bright, so even in this fantastic community and mostly after the STEAM(****edcancer!) opening you should consider and delete always the first top request!

MP will kil the spirit of KSP and this forum. Just add blood and gore and you have satisfied all the community.

The community has been a cesspool for a long time. People still make battle-esque craft, but that's not a bad thing. Some of them look very cool. I do agree that squad is shooting themselves in the knee and ultimately succumbing to the vocal majority's whims. I wouldn't really call multiplayer a cancer either, as it could be fun, for a few days maybe. It's more like an extra finger. Sure, it's okay to have and may get you some attention, but in the long run it really does not help you any and just causes problems for you later on.

The community has been a cesspool for a long time. People still make battle-esque craft, but that's not a bad thing. Some of them look very cool. I do agree that squad is shooting themselves in the knee and ultimately succumbing to the vocal majority's whims. I wouldn't really call multiplayer a cancer either, as it could be fun, for a few days maybe. It's more like an extra finger. Sure, it's okay to have and may get you some attention, but in the long run it really does not help you any and just causes problems for you later on.

you'r right let me explain better: Mp will move the spot light to the military offensive and destructive it's a simple consequence. surely you can use the MP for cooperating but that will be only possible by a LAN or private game. So in conclusion that's a cancer for the space program. tanks, missiles offensive VTLO will be the most importats crafts, no one will use science because is better to shoot.

MP must be going AFTER resources and economy systems. That way it'll have a TASTE, a new level of competition. It's more fun to launch to the Mun ahead of your opponents to bring back some samples and/or materials for building something something and then some, not just spam for science and then separatron-bomb eachother crafts. Otherwise MP is just our money sent down the drench. But devs know better, r-right? (sarcasm)

you'r right let me explain better: Mp will move the spot light to the military offensive and destructive it's a simple consequence. surely you can use the MP for cooperating but that will be only possible by a LAN or private game. So in conclusion that's a cancer for the space program. tanks, missiles offensive VTLO will be the most importats crafts, no one will use science because is better to shoot.

This is speculation. Besides, good luck with Star Wars-like dogfighting with realistic orbital mechanics. Even if what you say will happen, the new young players will easily get frustrated and bored when their AssKicker V can barely get off the ground, not to mention real fight. But it's just speculating - you can't even aim in KSP and the devs were against militarization of space from the very beginning. It won't happen.

I think it's a little extreme to suggest that multiplayer will destroy KSP. It's certainly not a feature I have much interest in, but I don't mind if it's a separate game mode for other people who do want it. I like Minecraft and I've never played that in multiplayer either. Sure, in an ideal world, developers would only spend time developing the features I was interested in. But everybody has a different idea of what that set of features is. Squad have to try and steer a compromise. And you can't deny that lots of people have been asking for multiplayer, since forever.

The real question for this thread, is should resources have been cancelled? I am happy to take it on trust that the current system that was under development is not fun and was dropped for that reason. I would like it to be replaced with a system that is fun, though. Not with a completely different feature that appeals to a totally different play style. If Harvester makes a blog post on Monday and explains that they are going to add lots of extra exploration and science stuff to career mode, so that we have something to do on planets, I'll be quite content.

And another way to look at it, is that cancelling stock resources has provided a huge motivation to expand and improve Kethane. I used it back in 0.18 but stopped as soon as Squad announced resources, because I didn't want to get used to one system, only to switch in a version or two. I'm going to take another look now and I'm sure it's going to suddenly get a lot more love and attention from now on. The net effect for me as a player, might end up being almost the same as if Majir had been hired by Squad.

And another way to look at it, is that cancelling stock resources has provided a huge motivation to expand and improve Kethane. I used it back in 0.18 but stopped as soon as Squad announced resources, because I didn't want to get used to one system, only to switch in a version or two. I'm going to take another look now and I'm sure it's going to suddenly get a lot more love and attention from now on. The net effect for me as a player, might end up being almost the same as if Majir had been hired by Squad.

I am thinking the same thing. I never actually used the kethane, since I thought that it will eventually be stock. Now I am considering the Kethane + Remote tech as a very interesting combo to test. coupled with FAR, deadly reentry and mission control it should provide ample challenge for months to come.

I am thinking the same thing. I never actually used the kethane, since I thought that it will eventually be stock. Now I am considering the Kethane + Remote tech as a very interesting combo to test. coupled with FAR, deadly reentry and mission control it should provide ample challenge for months to come.
I think it's a little extreme to suggest that multiplayer will destroy KSP. It's certainly not a feature I have much interest in, but I don't mind if it's a separate game mode for other people who do want it. I like Minecraft and I've never played that in multiplayer either. Sure, in an ideal world, developers would only spend time developing the features I was interested in. But everybody has a different idea of what that set of features is. Squad have to try and steer a compromise. And you can't deny that lots of people have been asking for multiplayer, since forever.

The real question for this thread, is should resources have been cancelled? I am happy to take it on trust that the current system that was under development is not fun and was dropped for that reason. I would like it to be replaced with a system that is fun, though. Not with a completely different feature that appeals to a totally different play style. If Harvester makes a blog post on Monday and explains that they are going to add lots of extra exploration and science stuff to career mode, so that we have something to do on planets, I'll be quite content.

Why add MP when you can use KMP

Why add resources when you can use Kethane

Why add anything

Why pay for nothing

and then mod gets dropped:huh: good thinking

This is speculation. Besides, good luck with Star Wars-like dogfighting with realistic orbital mechanics. Even if what you say will happen, the new young players will easily get frustrated and bored when their AssKicker V can barely get off the ground, not to mention real fight. But it's just speculating - you can't even aim in KSP and the devs were against militarization of space from the very beginning. It won't happen.

mate i hope the same too but devs are losing control. we should gain more informations about this MP before say something but i'm SURE military will be the main propose of MP. So we should ask to devs

How MP will be part of KSP. Will be only by internet? will be be it playable in LAN? how many players in the same time? How you could coordinate a time based game with a constant out of sync. Even a sec in KSP will change miles routes. Sorry but i can't really imagine a stable fun real MP for a game like KSP. It looks like a fake MP with Players Encounter. may we have more infos about it please.

So we should ask to devs (..) may we have more infos about it please.

I completely agree. More transparency would improve communication with the community and erase all doubts. Misinformed players tend to exaggerate things because they care about the game - if only Squad would like to openly talk about this things (article/stream dedicated to MP before Christmas, anyone?) I'm sure it would improve the situation.

It has been well established that KSP is not a military game, it's an exploration game. I'm positive weapons will not be a part of multiplayer, no shred of doubt in my mind about that.

This thread isn't about that, however. Back to resources! :)

It has been well established that KSP is not a military game, it's an exploration game. I'm positive weapons will not be a part of multiplayer, no shred of doubt in my mind about that.

Knowing people, they'll be throwing SRB's at each other in no time at all, or get one of those ICBM-derived launchers and turn it back into ICBM. FASA Titan already comes with a MIRV warhead (very unrealistic, as Titan never used MIRVs...).

have you noticed that the 90% of the people ( me included ) when is doing science doesn't even read the result? keep data or transmit to gain points.... points we need points!! for science? no for points! Points that could be changed in science goals to gain specific technologies. There's nothing more to say about resources. Kerbin will be the only place in the universe having resources. OhHh dear Giordano Bruno*save us!

If you guys really want Squad to rethink their stance on resources then there's one way that's shown to work, Majiir has done fantastic work with Kethane, if that were expanded upon then who knows, it or something like it could be added to KSP :)

The announcement of resources back in the day was the worst SQUAD could do for Kethane popularity. I am pretty sure now it will pick up. But I find this kind of communication behaviour a joke.