Island....

bengalboy

Use SAS, any modern jet is "fly by wire" anyway.

To land, align your glide path with the runway (or wherever you're trying to land), pitch up roughly close to 10 degrees, lower throttles very far back.

Your goal is to come down gently, so watch the navbal, you want to be only slightly sinking. Around 5-10 degree sink rate. USE THE THROTTLES TO ADJUST THIS. DO NOT ALTER PITCH OF THE CRAFT. Be gentle with throttle adjustments, unless it's an emergency.

Keep your wings parallel to the ground and when you're close enough that you're sure you've got it...just completely cut the throttle.

But as soon as your wheels hit the ground, hit f long enough to settle on the runway. Hit the brakes.

If the landing is going bad, hit the throttles and come back for another pass. Again do not mess with the pitch of the craft until you are moving at least 120 m/s (usually, + or - some according to craft,)

Edited by _Aramchek_

After a couple of training I landed at the KSC runway, but it's tough to decelerate(S is useless because it makes you take off again, and Brakes don't brake you enough). In fact, I've landed on the Island runway a couple of times, but the aircraft was going so fast I had to re-takeoff once I went past it. Thankfully re-taking off wasn't so hard because the plane was going alterady fast.

Commissioner Tadpole, are you using a joystick? Even a cheap one would make your life *much* easier because the keys only toggle zero/maximum control surface rotation. Meanwhile, you might try the first plane I posted in this thread. I haven't updated the design for quite some time, but it should still be pretty stable in the air and easy to fly, though perhaps not to land, under the updated SAS.

I might have a trainer that works. Built by a Keyboard Pilot for maximum stability.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d7an29qmohzdgr/Simple%20Trainer%20MK2.craft

Easy to fly, just turn on SAS, give it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, and press S to lift off. I built it based on a design I'd seen in Spaceport, but I've built this thing so many times from scratch that it's not even funny. Be careful when trying to descend, too much down elevator might flip the plane. Otherwise it should fly just fine.

And I'm honestly hoping I didn't accidentally dump mod parts in that plane. I'm fairly sure it's all stock...

Step One: Strap Kerbal to rocket.

Step Two: Strap More rockets to first Rocket.

Step Three: Rocket Rocket Rocket

Step Four: Pray that the rocket doesn't explode.

Step Five: Land on Island.

But seriously, Jets are the way to go, as they are pretty much facing the island runway anyway, if you want to land, just deploy parachutes on the jet once you fly over, make sure the engines are off first though!

Edited by Cavenyanson
Don't want to seem like a troll.

There's something weird going on with the brakes at the moment to where they don't fully work unless you click on them (bottom right of the altimeter). Time was that you could press B and toggle the brakes but now I think it's just a momentary pulse of break power. Typically you should be able to stop within a few hundred meters of the point where you touch down.

The other option is to have an intentional crash, but one that's survivable. What does it matter if the plane is destroyed (at least at this point) at least you get to see the Easter Eggs!

Good job on getting to the island runway. Keep it up and you'll be flying to other spac... other Easter Eggs.

After a couple of training I landed at the KSC runway, but it's tough to decelerate(S is useless because it makes you take off again, and Brakes don't brake you enough). In fact, I've landed on the Island runway a couple of times, but the aircraft was going so fast I had to re-takeoff once I went past it. Thankfully re-taking off wasn't so hard because the plane was going alterady fast.

Parachutes are very useful if you need to stop quick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.