The shared .23 release features news thread.

Tidus Klein

While this is good to see. The only bad part is. At least by the looks of it is we will still need to spam air intakes.

You don't need to spam intakes in 0.22, and I'd imagine that you won't need to spam them in 0.23 either. Looks like you'll still have the choice between going for relatively realistic design and engineering, and more of a challenge; or just spamming like crazy for unrealistic easy mode.

Personally, I'd be quite happy if they stuck a footnote on the 0.23 release notes saying that intake spam had been nerfed into history.

That's one of the main points of tweakables: changing how engines work. Hence the RAPIER.

Engines will work same as now, the point is you will be able to configure some things in VAB before launching.

And what rapier has to do with tweakables?

It seems that with RAPIER mission to Laythe will be easy like never before.

Building Laythe SSTO is easy enough right now, only ~3 km/s of dV is needed to reach orbit over Laythe I think.

Edited by El wonso

When I was watching the first gameplay of the 0.23, I noticed that there were some new parts (other than the space lab) in the science... bits, parts, sector... (forgot the word). Did you notice that or was it my imagination? Unfortunately I just had the chance to see the first 20 minutes.

Also, I like the fact that they added a bar showing you exactly how much monoprop there is in the kerbal backpack, instead of just percents.

When I was watching the first gameplay of the 0.23, I noticed that there were some new parts (other than the space lab) in the science... bits, parts, sector... (forgot the word). Did you notice that or was it my imagination? Unfortunately I just had the chance to see the first 20 minutes.

Also, I like the fact that they added a bar showing you exactly how much monoprop there is in the kerbal backpack, instead of just percents.

Is eva monorpopelland have some special name? I heard that kerball will not use same one ships use.

Wow, seeing my face on the forums is weird. :P

Couple notes;

You don't have to air-hog the RAPIER's to make basics SSTO's. The plane you saw me fly was designed with enough fuel to circularize orbit around the Mun and return back to KSC. Just building a basic LKO space plane won't require that. Also keep in mine, radials are much less efficient than Ramjet intakes, so if i were to use those it wouldn't have as many intakes. The other picture was a cargo SSTO shuttle, which is why it was loaded with intakes in the manner that it was. Plus, the nacelles looked awesome like that. ;) As for saying the RAPIER is OP, a Turbojet & 2 48-7S's is actually lighter for SSTO design than going with a RAPIER. Part of the general tweaks included re-working flame-out mechanics, which gives the impression of the RAPIER being better than it is, because it's being compared to .22 mechanic engines.

& Yes, The ability to reduce the oxidizer levels in your tank to account for burning LF reaching orbit in SSTO's is very beneficial.

Thrust limiting is just a % of your max thrust, no terminal velocity automation. ;)

ISP of RAPIER is under a LV-t45 in vacuum, but better than a Mainsail.

Stay tuned guys! :D

You don't need to spam intakes in 0.22, and I'd imagine that you won't need to spam them in 0.23 either. Looks like you'll still have the choice between going for relatively realistic design and engineering, and more of a challenge; or just spamming like crazy for unrealistic easy mode.

Personally, I'd be quite happy if they stuck a footnote on the 0.23 release notes saying that intake spam had been nerfed into history.

Agree we don't need to spam. The pics made it feel like we would have to just spam them to get off the ground. But, I do realise it is likely just to show at high altitudes. Then again it could have been done with just 2 since it should be just showing how it works. Would have been greate if the intakes used electricity to suck in more air so we would not have to add moer intakes to make up for the loss of them.

@Murph: The only unrealistic part at least for me is the intake spamming in one spot. Spreading them out so they have to have a clear airflow as well as realistic support for the part means I will be adding a lot of mass to my craft that is unnessary for space travel. So while it is easier to leave Kerbin atmosphere. It makes it harder when traveling in space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.