The shared .23 release features news thread.

Tidus Klein

Unfortunetly that screen makes clear that we will get no new planets now.. new planet woudl be visible on list.

Maybe we will get one in a Chirstmas gift sort of .23.x update... I think that's how Eeloo was added. It would actually be a pretty small update to add a new planet if they had no other major game-play changes. *Crosses fingers*

So, atomic engines will still use fuel and oxidiser?

It looks like they do. Although, I doubt it would be hard to mod the engine to not use oxidizer. You could use tweakables to drain the oxidizer out of a modded NERVA's tank and get a bit more efficiency out of it.

Watching the stream right now, and they just did a really cool demonstration with thrust limiting. With two thrusters, they limited the thrust of one and showed how the center of thrust changed in relation to the center of mass. This should make stock shuttles easier.

They also said they would have a planet discovery mechanic in place before the next planet release and not hype the next planet release, etc.

No source on this, but I remember seeing it as well. Basically, any new planets added would not simply appear, but would need to be "discovered" before they show up on maps. I assume not showing up would also include the science.

Any word on the observatory that I've heard about? My guess is that it would be linked to new planet discovery.

Also, HUGE optimisation.

Aparrently, if you got 20FPS on500 part ships, you now get 40 on 700 part ships!

If this was the only thing in the update, I would still be happy.

Wait that means a 1400 part ship will get 20 frames ......:0

Where all going to die from wackjobs 3000+ part super ships crashing in to kerbin

I just know it.

PS woooo this thead is popping!!!! I knew it would be popular but not this popular! :D

Keep it going guys!

Edited by Tidus Klein

Wait that means a 1400 part ship will get 20 frames ......:0

Where all going to die from wackjobs 3000+ part super ships crashing in to kerbin

I just know it.

I've already gone as high as 6,500, though that took almost three hours to finish launching. But after this update? Wheels are already turning.

Wheels within wheels. With wheels on those wheels.

This thread is just what I wanted. My favorite features from reading:

Thrust limiter. This is a godsend. This means different thrusts on the same engines, while still having full throttle.

Also looks like there will be a big optimization. Me wantz.

That being said... nobody has mentioned the science changes.

I just watched the archived clip of Harvestr's talk this morning - those were a highlight for me. The large science lab module and the ability to transfer experiments and "do Science!â„¢" on them in situ will finally give a real reason for space stations. And Minmus biomes sound like fun too. Given that we won't be able to spam the transmitter to get as much out of each locale, having more biomes that are reasonably accessible from within the Kerbin system itself will be handy.

The Rapiers actually worked pretty well on jets to a decent altitude. They didn't have to switch to rockets until 25-30km with just 1-2 intake per engine. They also noted that they were still balancing them so any stats we have are not final yet.

Additionally, to my great pleasure, all control surfaces have a movement "delay" so that they do not in effect teleport from full pitch to nothing. What this does is make controlling your aircraft a much smoother experience. As a plane builder I cannot wait for this :D

SCIENCE! Lab facts:

3.5 tons

Holds 2 Kerbals

No IVA yet

Takes a long time to process experiments

Can only process 1 report at a time

Improves recovery rates of science experiments

Displays increased rate upon completion-as well as additional flavor text! Always welcome :)

New report has a massively increased data value: good luck if you're using the materials bay or the avionics pack

Looks frakking awesome.

SCIENCE! Lab facts:

3.5 tons

Holds 2 Kerbals

No IVA yet

Displays increased rate upon completion-as well as additional flavor text! Always welcome :)

New report has a massively increased data value: good luck if you're using the materials bay or the avionics pack

Looks frakking awesome.

You left out the best bit; Makes a good snack shack for sandbox mode space stations!

As someone who sleeps all day and works (with limited internet) all night, I just gotta say I really appreciate this entire thread.

It's been a while since I came into a thread when it was on page 12, and read every single post from from the first to the last.

I love the idea of fixing a COT/COM problem by tweaking an engine's max thrust. Can't wait to try to launch some of my more... symmetrically challenged ships come Tuesday.

SCIENCE! Lab facts:

3.5 tons

Holds 2 Kerbals

No IVA yet

Looks frakking awesome.

Sounds awesome! FINALLY I have something to attach to my space stations other than hitchhikers!

As someone who sleeps all day and works (with limited internet) all night, I just gotta say I really appreciate this entire thread.

It's been a while since I came into a thread when it was on page 12, and read every single post from from the first to the last.

I love the idea of fixing a COT/COM problem by tweaking an engine's max thrust. Can't wait to try to launch some of my more... symmetrically challenged ships come Tuesday.

I can't wait to see how the AEIA Mk8 handles. I'm building her now. Just did a part count check. 3,500 parts dead on the nose. And I got a little ways to go, yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.